Number of safeguarding alerts at a care home?

Poppyfields

Sep 12, 2013
Does anyone know what an "average" number of alerts would be for a well run care home?

If you prefer to message me privately, please do so.

PS, I am sure many of you already know this, but you are entitled to know this information about your loved one's care home - you have to submit a freedom of information request to the relevant council/LA

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I think it depends more on staffing levels and how "challenging" the residents are.
Since my wife was sectioned I've spent about 60 to 70 hours on the ward, in that time I would guess the panic alarm has gone off about 10 time half of which have were false alarms.
If it's going off every 5 minutes it would suggest that either the staffing levels are low and people are trying to do a 2 handed job on their own or that there are some particularly difficult residents so it's more a question of why it's going off rather than how often in my view.
K

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I agree Kevin, my husband's nursing home at one time had a very over zealous switcher offer. He would wonder into empty rooms, switch off lights and plugs and on the way out press the alarm. On more than one occasion he switched off the air flow to my husband's bed. He never entered a room if someone was in it. I would say that 70% of the alarms were false ones.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Is question about referrals to vulnerable adults safeguarding or about fire alarms

Just saying because friend of mine has just started work at care home. On her third day resident made allegation of sexual assault (not against my friend) but it was referred to police and dealt with as an issue. Result was decision that alleged sexual assault had not taken place. Would this incident figure on a count of alerts? Yes it probably should but if you are interpreting the data you probably need to look for number of referrals to police/safeguarding panel when it is determined that abuse has taken place.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Just saying because friend of mine has just started work at care home. On her third day resident made allegation of sexual assault (not against my friend) but it was referred to police and dealt with as an issue. Result was decision that alleged sexual assault had not taken place. Would this incident figure on a count of alerts? Yes it probably should but if you are interpreting the data you probably need to look for number of referrals to police/safeguarding panel when it is determined that abuse has taken place.

Yes definitely but the result would be recorded - partly because it has to be a matter of record but also if it happened several times then they would probably need to investigate it further so from a practical point of view it is necessary.

I don't think that there would be many safeguarding issues coming up so if suddenly there were a lot rather than the odd one or two it would be a matter for concern. That's a guess I don't know what the figures are but a well run care home would have very few and they would be around frail elderly having an occasional unpreventable fall

Last edited:

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
Yes definitely but the result would be recorded - partly because it has to be a matter of record but also if it happened several times then they would probably need to investigate it further so from a practical point of view it is necessary.

I don't think that there would be many safeguarding issues coming up so if suddenly there were a lot rather than the odd one or two it would be a matter for concern. That's a guess I don't know what the figures are but a well run care home would have very few and they would be around frail elderly having an occasional unpreventable fall

Hi, did you get my private message?

Poppyfields

Sep 12, 2013
Yes, I was referring to safeguarding alerts - where a serious incident is reported - thanks for replies

I think I am allowed to post this, as the home as been closed down:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...e-receive-damning-report-published-today.html

15 safeguarding alerts in 2 years

Like my gran's former care home, Orchid View were given a "good" rating

My gran's former care home has had almost 3 times that amount of safeguarding alerts in only 19 months... I only discovered that when contacting FOI at the council

So I am just trying to get feedback as to what is considered an acceptable amount

Thanks Nitram for your links

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"So I am just trying to get feedback as to what is considered an acceptable amount"

If you probe around http://www.hscic.gov.uk/ you will find details of the amount and severity with no comment as to acceptability.

>>>this<<< gives a summary for 2014-15 and several links to further details.

<Give it time to load>

Ellaroo

Nov 16, 2015
Liverpool
Does anyone know what an "average" number of alerts would be for a well run care home?

If you prefer to message me privately, please do so.

PS, I am sure many of you already know this, but you are entitled to know this information about your loved one's care home - you have to submit a freedom of information request to the relevant council/LA

Thnks for info x