Respite Frustration

jojop

Nov 9, 2013
SE London
I called LA on Monday to check if still had 28 days entitlement to respite. Was told need to have carers assessment.

Got call back today, first thought was "good, that was quick"....wrong!
Was initially informed I already have 9 hours week, I explained have some things might want to try and do and wanted to confirm number of days entitled to. This person advised me respite was dependent on my mum's needs!!? Er, what about my needs as a carer? Would speak to manager and call me back.....
Second call informed me respite to prevent carer breakdown etc, then asked what I actually did for mum (do they not keep records). Also informed them I care for sister who has autism.

Upshot is cannot try and arrange respite until had assessment, bearing in mind had one 3 years ago by local carers organisation.

They did say they could look into getting me more help so I can care for mum at home???

Have no idea how long have to wait for assessment, but I shall be ready for them and well prepared for another fight

But it is so frustrating. I am entitled to respite aren't I?

Sorry for rant, thanks for reading.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Respite seems to vary throughout the UK and is longer seen as a right. You have to convince of them of your need. Here in Glasgow it is two weeks yet an hour away in Stirlingshire it is four weeks!

In addition not everywhere does respite so you have to search for a suitable care home. Not easy.

jojop

Nov 9, 2013
SE London
Respite seems to vary throughout the UK and is longer seen as a right. You have to convince of them of your need. Here in Glasgow it is two weeks yet an hour away in Stirlingshire it is four weeks!

In addition not everywhere does respite so you have to search for a suitable care home. Not easy.

Hi, thanks for reply. I will do my utmost to convince them

Know how hard it is to find somewhere, last year 3 homes in borough were in special measures by CQC, one has since decided to close.
Needed respite last year, had a bad couple of months affected my sister. Couldn't risk telling her we having a break for it to be cancelled at last minute due to no space. Had to use my savings and pay, least we got away for a week.

It shouldn't be this hard to get a break.

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
It is a disgrace, I can remember battling with social services when Dad needed my Mum to go into respite care for him to have a break at 80 he was on his knees after seven years of caring aided by me, they just didn't listen, even when I told them Dads Dr had said he needed respite every 8 weeks. It was then that I decided enough was enough, if they couldn't do respite for him regularly then they would have to agree to Mum going into permanent care, that was another battle, we got Mum into respite care, I then started telling social services he could no longer care for her and we could not take Mum back, not easy to do I can assure you, but a Dad was becoming ill and Mum aggressive, they even said to me they would have to hear from Dad that he didn't want to care for Mum any more, obviously knowing a poor old man who had been loyally, happily married for fifty years would struggle to say those words. We got there in the end but everything was such a struggle. If they are not giving carers respite, how on earth do they expect people to manage to keep on caring? It's a nightmare. So glad we did this three years ago as it seems to me it is getting harder and harder to get any help now. Keep pushing for it. Xx

Ange