Bed protection, bedding

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
I wonder what some of you use for bed protection.
Dad has started having the odd mishap (both) at night or when he gets up and then sits in the bed without telling mum.
She did have a waterproof cover at one point but washing and drying wasn't great for tumbling.
Can anyone recommend something else. She is going through phases of constantly stripping the bed down and really doesn't need the new mattress ended up ruined in the process.
Any advice appreciated.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Hi Kjn. Sue now has a hospital bed and the mattress is easily cleaned. Previously I used a waterproof mattress cover from John Lewis and this never actually got wet or soiled because I used a washable waterproof sheet (just big enough to cover the are where leaks were likely. I'm assuming your dad is wearing incontinence pants. If not, then I think this is the only way to stop major leaks which do require a lot more protection and still involve a lot of washing.

If he doesn't move around a lot you can get disposable bed pads to put on top of the sheet can help. They're made by several different companies, usually measure 60cm x 90cm.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Morning Kin. , Sorry your.Mum.has this extra problem too deal with How ever there is lots of good products out there that can help.! Have a look on the. Age UK web page. They do a good range e g. Kilye Sheets etc. Or. A. Pharmacy high street store. Web. Page. Bxxts etc.

Stanley has given you some good advice.

Hope this helps.

.. Grove. X

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Hi Stanley , no he doesn't have any protection. The thing with him is he is still quite aware and most of the time knows to go the toilet , however odd days with a bit of confusion is when he gets caught out as knows to take his pants off etc to 'go' just goes in the wrong place .
She has bought him some pull up pants to try but does tend to stay dry at night, it's more just the odd accidents which seem to all come at once then there is nothing again for a while.
I will have a look at the waterproof sheeting and the bed pads too, thanks Stanley.

I shall have a look in age uk too grove, thank you.
X

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Thanks Izzy , il have a look, il bear in mind using with any pull ups or pads.

Thank you Stanley , they look like a good idea. He does have his own single bed.

Perhaps a mattress protector and try the bed pad first, then if need be move to the waterproof sheet next. Didn't realise you could get waterproof duvets and covers too:)

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
We found brolly sheets washable bed pads very good. They have wings which tuck under the mattress so stay in place better than the other bad pads. You can get them to fit single and double beds and they are washable and can be tumble dried.
I was recommended them by a fellow carer who uses them for her mum.
Tre

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I thought that was only with hospital beds and airflow mattresses izzy? Never heard it affecting a normal bed.

No it wasn't the bed bemused. They said that as he was already wearing a highly absorbent product that he shouldn't also be lying on one. They said it was an issue re his skin. I'm back to using them again though. Between the carers and me Bill's skin is really well looked after. We're all really vigilant and he has prescription cream applied every day. I confess to not telling the continence people that I'm using it!

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
We had a hospital bed with an airflow mattress but I never asked if it was allowed. In the end I think if you are the sole carer you just do your best. I wonder if this advice as to whether things are a good idea or not should be different if someone is left on their own after a paid carer visit or has someone living with them keeping an eye on things all the time. My husbands skin was quite good with just a small reddish area from being unable to shift position on his own which did not worsen. I used conotrane cream which was prescribed. I also used aqueous cream all over after his morning shower.
Tre

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I agree with you tre and Izzy. We've used various things on top of the sheet and the DN, who visits monthly, is always commenting how good Sue's skin is. It's much better than when she was being supposedly looked after by an agency. We use about a fifth of the amount of the prescribed Medihoney that they used. It's very good stuff BTW,

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
No it wasn't the bed bemused. They said that as he was already wearing a highly absorbent product that he shouldn't also be lying on one. They said it was an issue re his skin. I'm back to using them again though. Between the carers and me Bill's skin is really well looked after. We're all really vigilant and he has prescription cream applied every day. I confess to not telling the continence people that I'm using it!

I think you are right in ignoring this advice, it sounds questionable to me. I also use Kylie sheets with inco pads and don't see a problem.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Thanks everyone from my mum, she is delighted with all the info you've provided, so kind xx

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Age Uk

Hi ( again ! ) Kjn when I had more time today after my first post had a look on the Age Uk page & had forgotten they have a phone advice line for Incontinence problems ( also please note their *bed time products* have their own special section ! > click on Incontinence along the top of the page & it brings down a list just click on the correct heading > sorry think ? its bed pads ? or some thing similar ! )

Also have a shop around :) if you can prices etc & quality etc vary Hope this helps !

Grove x

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Sorry kjn and izzie really not but picking but doesn't that hartmann reference refer for example to a pad inside a pull up immediately around the body? Not an absorbent layer under the body.
I must admit we were told not to use all in ones and kylues because the Kylie made the air flow mattress less effective by interfering with the movement of the air cells. Nothing to do with the absorbance.
I sound so pedantic don't I, its just interesting the different things you get told.
But I wonder how many thousands of people are using Kylie's and pads on a normal mattress? Because we all know there is no such thing as a completely leakproof incontinence project.

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Yes the article is about pads but it was the same argument they presented to me. It was about the Tena and the Kylie seeking moisture from the body therefore possibly compromising the skin. Anyway I'm back to using them. He can manage to soak through a Kylie as well of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point