A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Yesterday we spent some pleasant hours looking at photos of our holidays in India and watching a DVD of Andrea Boccelli.

Today..........
D `When did we go to Las Vegas?`
S `We`ve never been to Las Vegas.`
D `I thought we saw Andrea Boccelli in Las Vegas.`
S `We saw Andrea Boccelli on a DVD/video which was set in Las Vegas.`
D `Didn`t we go?`
S `No. It was on the television.`
D `I thought we went to las Vegas.`
S `We haven`t even been to America, never mind las Vegas.`
D `Is Las vegas in Ameria?`
S `Of course it is.`
D `So did we see Gandhi`s Memorial on television?`
S `We saw Gandhi`s memorial in India, twice, but yesterday you were looking at the photos we took while we were there.`
D `Did we go to India?`
S `Twice.`
D `That`s wonderful. But we didn`t go to Las Vegas?`
S `No.`
D `I can`t remember anything.`

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
How I wish Dhiren would take advantage of what has been offered, however inadequate.

Nothing will cure him, but a bit of social interaction would get him away from the house for a few hours, reduce his isolation, give him something to get up for and look forwards to, and enable him to be less dependent on me.

A few simple OT movements might reduce his stiffness, help his mobility and give him an experience of group activity.

And this, I think, would improve his quality of life.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
If it works, great; if it doesn't, and we see it as specious or just 'play' then that is another surfacing of the "once you have seen one person......"

Spot on, Bruce.

John used to love going out in a small group with AS, either visiting a place of interest, or going to a pottery and painting pots to bring home. Those were things we did together anyway.

Day centre was something else, and he saw it as being 'dumped', he would rather have come shopping with me.

When someone has dementia, it is difficult enough to encourage them to do the everyday things, but it can be murder to have them do something that they simply can't see a reason for,

lesmiserables said:
today I gave Ron a tape measure, told him to measure the room, he did.Took a while. It was all wrong, who cares. That occupied him, then I asked him to tell me what he wanted to do about the decor in our kitchen - he told me.

Perfect example of OT, Barb, well done. Ron felt he was doing something useful, and was still an equal partner in your home.

Sylvia, is there not a joint project you and Dhiren could tackle together, which would take his mind off the past and increase his mobility? Perhaps watching so many programmes about India is increasing his nostalgia?

I don't know, just a suggestion.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hazel, I have tried everything.

The interest in everything Indian has always been there, as that`s who he is. It`s a bit like ex-pats in Spain wanting `typical English pubs` and `full English breakfasts.` :)

I have to let him take the lead in his interests. He still watches UK and American news and listens to music. Yesterday, as well as looking at photos of India, we listened to Any Questions and Any Answers on Radio 4. So it isn`t all Indian. :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Our meal out at our son`s, for Mother`s Day became `Meals on Wheels.`

Dhiren has slept all morning and the odd time he woke, his speech was slurred, his eyes unfocusing and all he wanted to do was go back to sleep.

Paul and our eldest granddaughter brought our meal round, a delicious Thai Curry and Chocolate Fudge Gateau, as well as a beautiful card and flowers.

I must admit to being upset not to have been able to go. It`s not the Mother`s Day ritual that was important, it was getting out of the house for a change, having a meal with the family and seeing our grandchildren.

Dhiren seems all right now, but is very unsteady. He thinks he might have a virus. I`m wondering about a TIA.

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Could be Sylvia - the transient nature of this seems to suggest that. Trouble is, there's no way to be sure. A regular stroke leaves signs, and actually, can be tracked as it's happening, but these - well they're called "transient" for a reason. I assume his blood sugar's OK?

I know what you mean about it not being the ritual, it's the missed opportunity.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sorry your day didn't go as expected, Sylvia. It's a shame you missed the chance to get out.

I hope Dhiren's feling better now.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
He is still sleeping on and off. Awake for a couple of hours this afternoon, watched the best part of Poirot, had dinner then back to dozing.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Could be TIA, could be virus, could be another step down. Just have to wait and see, I suppose, and hope he's feeling better tomorrow. It's the not knowing that makes it so hard.

John has slept all day today too, no response at all, after being comparatively alert yesterday.

All we can do is hope.

Love,

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Another day

With it being Mother's day, mum came round for a roast beef lunch.
Ron slept all morning, woke up, had all his lunch and pudding, and fell asleep again. That took care of the afternoon and early evening. Now, he is awake, I swear if he could, he would go
dancing. Where I am now ready for a sleep. It mean's that we will have a bad night tonight. No sleep.
But on the bright side, he is eating - very well.
I cannot understand this illness, half an hour ago he got up - with help from me, and I asked where do you want to go, he said to make a cup of tea.
I said OK, took him in the kitchen and watched, he made one Yippee. I bought Ron a feeding cup with a large straw that does not spill, and he carried it back to the lounge on his own, holding my arm. I felt so proud of him.
Perhap's it is me wrapping him up in cotton wool, perhap's I should not be afraid and let him do anything he show's interest in. Motivating someone with this disease sometimes can be fruitless, I have been learning to spot the sign's when he can - and encourage him, and when he cannot and not to push.
So tomorrow is another day.
And quite frankly my dear's I DO GIVE A DAM.
Barb X:)

Westie

May 14, 2007
South East London/Surrey border
Sylvia, I'm sorry your day hasn't turned out as you had hoped for. Maybe Paul could have you and Dhiren around on another day for a belated gathering, giving you the chance for a little 'me' time. I do hope so.

Wishing you a peaceful night and hope that Dhiren has a better day tomorrow.

Love Mary-Ann
x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Mary Ann. :)

Im more concerned about Dhiren than the missed meal out. It would have been nice, but there will be other times.

I just want to see how he wakes up tomorrow as he is still sleeping.

I hope Peter is all right and you are managing to come to terms with his being away from home.

Love xx

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Grannie G said:
the odd time he woke, his speech was slurred, his eyes unfocusing and all he wanted to do was go back to sleep.

Dear Sylvia,

I am sorry that you have this worry and what you describe is exactly what happens with my mum.

This has being happening to her on and off for quite awhile now.

There could be so many different causes and hopefully it is just something as simple as, Dhiren being off colour.

Love and Best Wishes

Taffy.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
There could be so many different causes and hopefully it is just something as simple as, Dhiren being off colour

That's true, Taffy..it's always worth checking out other possibilities for the sleeping...very difficult to work out whether it is due to the AD..or a minor infection, off day, etc.

Eric has big sleeps like this at least twice a day..and sleeps all night !

Love Gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s the AS Support Group today. Once again I am going by myself.

Dhiren says he doesn`t need a support group as he is fit and well mentally and physically. He says I have a misconception of his state of health.

But he doesn`t mind me going if it helps me. :rolleyes:

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
HI Sylvia

Mum used to sleep a lot when she had done something different. I remember a friend saying once that you got tired with dementia becuase it was as if you were sitting a major exam every day jsut to get through the day.

If it is sudden though it may just be due to a virus or jsut cause the weather was lousy at the weekend.

Shame he won't go with you to the support group. It is so strange dealing with an illness that the person does not realise they are suffering from isn't it?

(((hugs)))

Mameeskye

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Mameeskye, :)

I remember a friend saying once that you got tired with dementia becuase it was as if you were sitting a major exam every day jsut to get through the day.

I`ll remember that one, it`s probably very true.

When I went out, I left a note, where I was, what time I`d left home, what time I`d return and my mobile number.

When I got home, `Where have you been? I thought you`d hd an accident. I was coming to look for you.`

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Sylvia, hope the meeting was of interest and help.

When I went out, I left a note, where I was, what time I`d left home, what time I`d return and my mobile number.

When I got home, `Where have you been? I thought you`d hd an accident. I was coming to look for you

Hard on you I know, but at least he missed you. That must be some small comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.