Mother's toenails very bad

Bay

Jul 24, 2014
Kent
Our Age UK centre has two different nail cutting services. One is run by a trained podiatrist and one by others (possibly Health Care Assistants or something similar). When OH used their services he had to go to the podiatrist as he was on blood thinking medication at the time. I think it cost £16 last summer and he certainly used an electrical file thingy! Our local community hospital also do a nail cutting service but the first visit there is pretty expensive as you have to buy the supplied clippers etc from them and then take them with you each time. Perhaps the GP's surgery could advise you of any local services?

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Our Foot Care Practitioner lady has an impressive battery of electronic gizmos, whirry things and gouging instruments! What she does is way more than merely cutting toenails. She spends about 30 minutes on each parent's feet, filing off hard skin, dealing with corns etc and is totally worth the money. Mum's feet in particular were in a dreadful state but are now starting to take human form once more.

I did feel incredibly guilty that they'd been neglected for so long but, as others have said, you don't really think about feet until mobility starts to be affected.

Last edited:

Mango

Mar 16, 2014
New Zealand
My thoughts turned briefly to calling the local farrier.

This did make me smile! We orgniased a podiatrist years ago to come and cut Mum's toenails after her hip replacement and she now calls in every couple of weeks. Mum pays her a very modest amount because she is a distant relative and "just pops in to see me when she is in the area!" but I keep a record of the visits and give her the proper fee in a Xmas card every year.