What does CIV mean?

rainsong

Aug 9, 2013
I have noticed the code CIV written in my MIL's care records by the carers. Does anyone know what it means?

rainsong

Aug 9, 2013
I am sure it doesn't refer to vitamin C ;-) I thought the C might stand for client. Not sure about the I & V . The carers are supposed to assist her to shower but they didn't as she stated that she had a shower last night (she didn't as was still wearing the clothes she had on yesterday). I was wondering if it is an indication she was confused or resistant to care.

Last edited:

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
Perhaps it might help to see it in content - can you give us an example of what they've written including this code?

rainsong

Aug 9, 2013
It said "CIV. Refused PC stated had shower last night. Washed face encouraged to brush teeth. Refused breakfast. Sliced apple gave water. Swept floor."

PC stands for Personal Care.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The IV could be 'intra venous' but if that is not likely, could the IV be 4?
Surely the simplest thing would be to just ask the nurse or carer.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I know it's no joking matter but I've been having a deep think what civ could be. Some of my thoughts....
cat in vacuum :D

Client in - but no idea where or what v would be in that case..... Good idea to ask carer, then please let us know, to stop me making words up in my mind all day :)
xxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
Reminds me of when I was a carer years ago. We used to but AWOL - All well on leaving - until someone went absent - that was changed overnight!

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
I have just messaged "Lovely Lisa" who used to be my Mums main carer and its not one she knows. She is now a senior carer in a large home so is going to ask her colleagues. Strangely, even searching websites about acronyms doesn't bring up anything obvious. I wonder if the OP is sure of the letters?

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Interesting thought Havemercy but seems a bit pointless if it is that. Surely, if the carer has visited, it is more relevant to say what they did rather than just they visited and presumably signed?
As said earlier, we need more context really ☺

Dill

Feb 26, 2011
England
As it appears in front of the rest of the message, does it refer to how access was gained by the carer as maybe 'came in voluntarily?'
This was the case when dad had carers in, as sometimes they had to use the key safe to let themselves in. Still doesn't look right though somehow.

Dill