Sore feet?

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
Wonder if anyone can help. Mum is in late stage alzheimers and for the last few days is complaining her feet hurt!! I only have to touch her and shes cries out!! The doctor came last week and we told him about her feet, at which point she said there was nothing wro g with her feet and she felt the best she'd ever felt!!! My question is can alzheimers patients imagine pain?

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
I don't know the answer to your question. What I would say is see if it ok to give her some paracetamol to see if this helps with her pain (if she has any) many elderly will not admit to Drs any form of pain so I wouldn't read too much into what she said.

peachstone

Dec 5, 2015
West Oxfordshire
Wonder if anyone can help. Mum is in late stage alzheimers and for the last few days is complaining her feet hurt!! I only have to touch her and shes cries out!! The doctor came last week and we told him about her feet, at which point she said there was nothing wro g with her feet and she felt the best she'd ever felt!!! My question is can alzheimers patients imagine pain?

I had a similar situation with someone I knew. She had been ill in bed for some time and me and some of her friends would visit to take her supplies and see she had meals and so on. A couple of times, when she would get out of bed so I could help her with her needs, she'd put her feet to the floor and hiss with pain as they came into contact with the carpet. She'd insist that she'd just stubbed her toe but I could see that wasn't the case.

I wondered if lack of movement or poor circulation might affect the nerves in the soles of the feet and make them more sensitive. Just a thought.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
In answer to your question, no I don't think Alzheimers patients imagine pain but that the pains experienced can be very transitory, literally there one minute and not the next, and at other times more prolonged. On bad days, when I feel my brain is suffering more I can take a slight knock to my foot and it feels like I have really badly stubbed my toe no exaggeration so someone witnessing it might think it wasn't that bad. I have learnt it is best to wear supportive slippers or protective shoes most of the time but don't always remember to. The flesh on my back is also extremely painful to touch also at these times. It is like a peripheral neuropathy.

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
I don't know the answer to your question. What I would say is see if it ok to give her some paracetamol to see if this helps with her pain (if she has any) many elderly will not admit to Drs any form of pain so I wouldn't read too much into what she said.

Hi, she does take paracetamol but still winces when i touch her! I dont know what to do??

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
I had a similar situation with someone I knew. She had been ill in bed for some time and me and some of her friends would visit to take her supplies and see she had meals and so on. A couple of times, when she would get out of bed so I could help her with her needs, she'd put her feet to the floor and hiss with pain as they came into contact with the carpet. She'd insist that she'd just stubbed her toe but I could see that wasn't the case.

I wondered if lack of movement or poor circulation might affect the nerves in the soles of the feet and make them more sensitive. Just a thought.

Humm good thought

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
In answer to your question, no I don't think Alzheimers patients imagine pain but that the pains experienced can be very transitory, literally there one minute and not the next, and at other times more prolonged. On bad days, when I feel my brain is suffering more I can take a slight knock to my foot and it feels like I have really badly stubbed my toe no exaggeration so someone witnessing it might think it wasn't that bad. I have learnt it is best to wear supportive slippers or protective shoes most of the time but don't always remember to. The flesh on my back is also extremely painful to touch also at these times. It is like a peripheral neuropathy.

Aw thank you x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951