Hi there from a newbie to it all

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
I posted this in the main area but I suspect most of my time will be here so am posting it again, here. It makes sense to me anyway!!! ;)

my name is wayne so either nickname chewtor or real name wayne will be great. I was finally diagnosed with mixed dementia, vascular and Alzheimer's on jan 13th after 7 years of feeling/noticing things were not quite as they should be. at the hour long meeting with consultant and care co-ordinator I guess that I fazed out after about 15 minutes trying to take it all in. relief that at last I had a reason but also fear kicked. I eventually stopped them talking at me and said I needed time to think before talking about groups etc and we adjourned for 2 weeks, or so I thought. my mum had Alzheimer's and 'lived', if that applies, for about 4 years after the diagnosis which had taken about 4 years but she was 69 by the time of diagnosis. I kind of hope for longer as I am 60 now but am 7 years down the long and winding road.
due to various situations and circumstances I do not have family around me to talk with so my head was still a bit spinny when the 2 week later meeting came around and it did not help any. a new person not at the first and seemingly only really interested in testing me yet again nad answered most questions by 'I wiil have to see the consultant about that'. I am waitning for contact from their activity group and was given a mass of leaflets to read. the internet has helped some and scared the life our of me.
I guess that I am here so can ask questions when I know what to ask. it has taken me an age to write and check thid and another 10 minutes hovering over the submit button. somehow hitting the button makes it all real and more scary.
most of my time will be in the under 65 forum I suppose so this is just a long and rambling hello - time to bite the bullet and hit the button................. :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Wayne and welcome to TP. I'm so sorry to read of your situation but also so glad that you've found TP. You will find lots of people here to help and support you.

I wondered if you have any Admiral Nurses in your area. I have heard very good things about their service and might be able to support you. I'll post the link here in a minute.

My husband is now 85 and was diagnosed with Alzeimers in 2001 the same month as his 70th birthday. Not early onset I know but we've been lucky to have had a slow progression of the disease.

I look forward to seeing you around the forum. Please ask anything. There will always be someone around who has the experience to help you. It also helps sometimes just to come on here to get your feelings down.

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
thanks

thank you Izzy. I will go have a look now before my brain shuts down. reading the posts on here is hard work but nothing compared with what all you guys as carers/frinds/relatives go through

catch you up around

Wayne
ps - have now looked and thanks so much. will email them as I do not think I could manage to get my thoughts together enough yet for a phone caal - need practise talking about it.

Last edited:

Lash

Jun 14, 2015
Hi Wayne, just wanted to say hello. Hope you get the support you need, as a relative (my mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's on December 8th at age 62) a lot of relief comes from just talking through things but I can't begin to imagine how that must feel for you. Wishing you luck, take care x

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
thanks lash

just being here in the forum is making what feels a huge difference. only 1 day a member and the world is a different place to the one I lived in just Friday.

thank you
:p

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968