Please do not consider moving your relative with Dementia into your house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa74

May 27, 2011
I hear you Lisa and agree. My mother has lived with me and my son for the last ten years. I have lost my 40s and my son's childhood has been ruined. My mum and my dad went to concerts, held dinner parties, did all sorts of stuff in their 40s and 50s. We've barely been able to have anyone over to the house.

As for choice. We have no choice. I've told social services and the memory clinic I can no longer cope and do not want to look after her. Makes no difference whatsoever. So much so, I'm going to have to go to the court of protection and throw myself on their mercy to see if we can be freed of my mother.

Sorry to hear that- it can be awful and social services really provide very limited care- we were assessed and get no help. I hope things go ok when you do this.

I am sorry to have generalised- perhaps I should have said that all family members should be consulted before the decision to take on a family member with dementia is made- perhaps the later stages of Vascular Dementia are quite different to other forms of dementia- when my gran has been in hospital she has had to have a care assistant sit next to her 24/7 so possibly her behavioural symptoms are at the more extreme end of the spectrum. When the idea was brought up (back during my teens) I actually asked repeatedly for my parents not to move my gran in with us - but obviously individual circumstances vary and some people are better equipped to cope with the demands of dementia.

Last edited:

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Sorry to hear that- it can be awful and social services really provide very limited care- we were assessed and get no help. I hope things go ok when you do this.

I am sorry to have generalised- perhaps I should have said that all family members should be consulted before the decision to take on a family member with dementia is made- perhaps the later stages of Vascular Dementia are quite different to other forms of dementia- when my gran has been in hospital she has had to have a care assistant sit next to her 24/7 so possibly her behavioural symptoms are at the more extreme end of the spectrum. When the idea was brought up (back during my teens) I actually asked repeatedly for my parents not to move my gran in with us - but obviously individual circumstances vary and some people are better equipped to cope with the demands of dementia.

Is another assessment possible? If you withdrew your assistance to your parents, would this change things in the home such that a new assessment would indicate they needed help? Also, has your grandmother's behavior changed since the assessment? One way to help prepare for a new assessment, if you can be granted one, would be to take a video of your grandmother's behavior showing the uncontrollable outbursts (if there are any). Also, keep a diary of occurrences, recording the events (without any emotion-driven editorial information) and the time of day of the events.

Finally, I do know personally that vascular dementia can be very trying. My father, who died from it, became uncontrollable. During one manic outburst, he fell, broke a vertebrae and crushed the disks around it, and was hospitalized. They used a straitjacket to control him, because they were understaffed. I don't think anyone wants to see this happen to a parent or grandparent, and you have clearly had enough. I just wondered whether, if the carer picture changed, a new assessment would yield the assistance your family needs.

Finally, I have a feeling that you and your parents might be feeling what is clinically called compassion fatigue. This is a very real problem. Here is a link to information about it. This particular link is for nurses, but if you search the TP system here, you'll find another link that offers similar information.

http://nursesusa.org/safety_compassion_fatigue.asp

BillBRNC

Jan 26, 2016
USA NC
I'm not going to comment on the specifics here, as there are many things I don't know or understand about all of this. I've spoke a great deal with my wife about my situation with early onset Alz, and I've made it clear that I want to be put in a memory facility when I reach the point of basically ruining her quality of life (and I'm not counting the quality of having her husband around). She can then visit me daily if she desires, bring me home for visits if permitted, take me out when things are stable, and do most of the nice things we might have been able to do if I had been at home. But I don't want her to have to devote her entire existence to taking care of me, or even most of her existence. Now, we have the financial resources for me to go to a nice place very close to where we live. When I reach the point of being really difficult on a regular basis, I would prefer to be in a facility. When things get worse, I have an Advanced Directive that I will only be fed or given drink if I ask for it, thus allowing me to pass over to the other side in time. The Alz/dementia thing is terrible for everyone involved. There are no winners, but it is possible to make things less horrible. For me, I choose to make things less horrible. My wife will have the final decision when I reach that point, but I hope she follows my wishes, as I think they are best for me and for her, but that will be her decision because I'll no longer making decisions. Good luck to us all.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I hear you Lisa and agree. My mother has lived with me and my son for the last ten years. I have lost my 40s and my son's childhood has been ruined. My mum and my dad went to concerts, held dinner parties, did all sorts of stuff in their 40s and 50s. We've barely been able to have anyone over to the house.

As for choice. We have no choice. I've told social services and the memory clinic I can no longer cope and do not want to look after her. Makes no difference whatsoever. So much so, I'm going to have to go to the court of protection and throw myself on their mercy to see if we can be freed of my mother.

This is awful, not just for you but for your mother too. When we are at our most frail and vulnerable we need to be loved and cared for and nurtured and some families are not able to do this for a variety of understandable reasons but for the sake of the person who is coming to the end of long life they should be placed somewhere where people who do want to care for them can.

I was under the impression that if someone doesn't want to care then they can't be forced to. I thought you just have to tell social services that you won't look after her any more and she is vulnerable and at risk and then it becomes, if it is not already, a safeguarding issue and they have to act. Hae you told them that you will not look after her anymore?

I am not aware of your circumstances and you may not wish to share them but if you have carers coming in then tell perhaps it raises other issues.

I would be very concerned for your health and her wellbeing in the situation you describe

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
I am so sorry to hear about your situation and applaud you for putting out this warning, I was caring for my mum alongside my dad for about 7 years, he was her main carer, but I was very heavily involved as he couldn't cope with her, eventually I had to say to my dad that enough was enough and we had to put mum into a care home, sadly during the time I was heavily involved in mums care, I completely missed that my oldest son was suffering from depression, I was so absorbed in sorting things out for mum and dad, he felt I had enough to deal with do suffered in silence, thankfully he is getting better now, but I will never allow this to happen again. Dementia ruins so many lives. I had to battle very hard with Social Services to get Mum into her care home, but we got there in the end.

Ange

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Each case is different. A friend of mine had her mother living with her in an annexe which was built for her MiL, who hardly lived to use it. But the friend's mother was very placid and compliant, and moreover would hardly ever leave her bed, so there was no wandering, or being up and down half the night, or fiddling with things, and no incessant questions. She was very content with the TV on all day and my friend managed pretty well with carers coming in a couple of times a day. But it still meant that she and her husband could very rarely go out together, let alone away. Yes, they could have had sitters, but money was already very tight.

And shortly after the mother died, and they could look forward to more of a life together again, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Life can be so very cruel.

After the experience of having my FIL to live with us, I knew I could never do it again. I was very fond of FIL, but having always been very stubborn he became a lot more so. He was up and down half the night, banging and shouting and trying to get out at 2 am (and we still had children at school who needed their sleep, never mind me and OH). Among other things he started flying into truly terrifying rages over the most minute things - they were so bad I would have to leave the house and take the dog with me.
We began to look for a suitable care home, and I can't say I ever really felt bad about it. He was already well into his 80s and had had a pretty good life, and we went to a great deal of trouble to find the right care home, where he settled very well.

After this experience, when the time came with my mother, I knew there as no question of doing it again. She did not have the rages, but I knew she could never have been left, even for half an hour, and there would never have been any peace during evenings or weekends, or undisturbd nights for my OH, still working long hours in a demanding job. He was always extremely good with her, but I was not going to expect that of him. And I knew my mother's former self would never have wanted me to. Her own mother had had a degree of dementia during her last few years, and would stay with my mother for a few days at a time. Even that nearly drove her mad, so I know she would have understood.

I supported her at home as best I could, including masses of 'sleepovers' for several years, but when we began to know that she was no longer safe to be left at all, it was time for a care home. But we were extremely lucky in that both parents were self funded, so that we did not have to rely on social services deciding when the time was right. I know there are always a lot of complaints about the 'unfairness' of having to self fund when others get care paid for, but to me, on both occasions it has seemed like a great luxury which we have been very thankful for, to be able to decide when and where.

Might add that if I ever get dementia, God forbid, I would NEVER want either of my daughters to put their lives or jobs on hold to care for me. I have expressly told them
that they are never even to think of it.

Last edited:

chrisdee

Nov 23, 2014
Yorkshire
Hello Lisa, I am very sorry you are having to go through all this. I hear all too clearly how you feel that your young life is being taken away from you,or at least suspended, and its harder still given that grandparents are 2 generations away. I am guessing that your parents took all this on with the best will in the world. However, as you have seen, there is a learning process and many of us who have been there, would step away if called upon again. There are some saintly types around, I see some of those have replied too. Hopefully your parents might have a plan B,if so, now would be the time to progress it!
How you feel is how you feel, and I think that everyone involved should acknowledge that. I guess you won't be taking on a caring job anytime soon. My Mum was this 'protected' generation like your Gran, the big disadvantage is that they had no independent living skills at any point. Who would really want to live their lives like that? Keep posting, we hear you.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
. But we were extremely lucky in that both parents were self funded, so that we did not have to rely on social services deciding when the time was right. I know there are always a lot of complaints about the 'unfairness' of having to self fund when others get care paid for, but to me, on both occasions it has seemed like a great luxury which we have been very thankful for, to be able to decide when and where.

Might add that if I ever get dementia, God forbid, I would NEVER want either of my daughters to put their lives or jobs on hold to care for me. I have expressly told them
that they are never even to think of it.

Yes. Witzend this could be me talking. I was relieved that we didn't have to fight the heartbreaking battles with SS that so many TPers describe.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
I would be very concerned for ... her wellbeing in the situation you describe
Why? That's quite a leap of your imagination. It's perfectly possible to come on here and rant and face the PwD with every ounce of compassion you can muster. Been there, done that, got the bl**din' T-shirt.

BillBRNC - you, sir, are an absolute sweetheart. My heart was caught as I read your post.

Bessieb

Jun 2, 2014
I think that your perspective is a really valid one for people to consider Lisa. I moved my parents to a CH in July and a huge factor in the decision making was the impact a move in with us would have on my children. To be fair they are quite young but living with a dementia sufferer is not a normal life and I would never have wanted my childrens upbringing to have been affected by the care requirements of dementia. And neither would my parents. Fortunately they have settled where they are very well but even if they hadn't you sometimes have to make hard decisions ...and decisions that are not based on finance but the welfare of everyone involved.
I am sure your parents made the decisions regarding your Gran's care with the very best intentions but it's such shame that it's had such an impact on years of your life that should be carefree.
I hope your parents get some help with your Gran soon. It would be lovely to think that they could have their lives 'back' soon too.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Why? That's quite a leap of your imagination. It's perfectly possible to come on here and rant and face the PwD with every ounce of compassion you can muster. Been there, done that, got the bl**din' T-shirt.

BillBRNC - you, sir, are an absolute sweetheart. My heart was caught as I read your post.

I agree,I wish I had a pound for every time I've spoken gently,reassured,only to wail when on my own.I often felt like screaming and could have committed murder at times but that was all going on in my head.Like many people I put the 'party face'on and got on with it.But was I relieved when parents went in to full time care.I still worried about them and still cared for them but I could plan a day out,enjoy a holiday,relax!My parents didn't live with me but I never knew when the phone would ring with an emergency,more and
more often over the last couple of years,drop everything,deal with it.It's only when it's over that you realise how tough it is.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
My parents sold their house 8 yrs ago, and we built a granny flat on our property for them.
At that time they were living in a property that was no longer manageable, and my husband had been diagnsoed with a brain tumour and we had small children, so it seemed the best solution.
Given Mums Alzheimers now it was still the best solution. If they had been living in their old property with lots of stairs, I don't beleive Mum would be alive now, and I would have been back and forward like a yoyo.

But Oh My, it has still been unbelievably hard. I have had to get my husband and my children, now teenagers, to help me with my Mum and Dad ( he has cognitive impairment) but at the end of the day my parents are my responsibility, not my husbands or children.
Without a doubt I have at times put my Mum first instead of my children and husband, and given my husbands health, I am constantly consumed with guilt.
My husband is understanding to a point, but he also has Neurological deficits from his surgeries, chemo and radiation, so gets quite frustrated with not being able to go anywhere or do anything at the drop of a hat, without first considering Mum.
If its during the day, we can go out no longer than 2 hrs, and overnight requires at least my 18yo son staying at home in case of some kind of emergency.
Mum definitely cannot be left on her own, without someone being here, and shes just at a moderate stage of AD.
In all honesty, Lisas situation, for me is unfathomable.

Although I don't feel it is too far away before Mum has to go into care, mainly due to Dads inability to cope, I hope and pray that it happens before my husbands brain tumour reoccurs. How could I cope looking after a sick husband and Mum!!??

Bigreader

Jan 22, 2016
Linbrusco, that's exactly what I ended up doing! My husband had heart failure and COPD. He gradually got less and less able to do things which was a great anguish for him. At the same time I was caring for my mother with dementia and looking afte two grandchildren 3 days a week. My husband subsequently died and I was consumed with guilt that I wasn't a better carer for him and I'm ashamed to say I lost patience at times with his continual cough. My rational side says I am only human, but the emotional side still struggles with this.

The point of this is I would not wish that scenario on anyone. At some point you have to weigh up the priorities and say that the PWD has had a life, hopefully a good one, but the carer and their family still have life left to live. As long as parents/grandparents are well cared for in a good CH, being visited and checked then I see no reason, in a family situation like you and Lisa, why you should all be suffering as you are. Unfortunately, as I said, we, as humans, suffer from guilt as well.
BR x

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
say that the PWD has had a life, hopefully a good one, - quote

wow that is an interesting perspective. I wonder what the people who do have dementia and belong to this group think about this statement!!!

I know what I think but I'd better not share at this point.

Bear44

Sep 28, 2015
USA
I feel for you and your family. This is a horrible disease on everyone involved. But to be quite frank I don't see any compassion for your grandmother and her disease.

This disease is horrible to deal with in every aspect. If it's that tough on you why don't you leave? Sorry to be harsh but I'm living on the couch with my 3 young kids driving to another town 4 times a day to take my kids to school. I've seen my husband for 4 hours in the last two weeks. It sucks but it's my father and I need to take care of him.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
say that the PWD has had a life, hopefully a good one, - quote

wow that is an interesting perspective. I wonder what the people who do have dementia and belong to this group think about this statement!!!

I know what I think but I'd better not share at this point.
Please don't.

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
I feel for you and your family. This is a horrible disease on everyone involved. But to be quite frank I don't see any compassion for your grandmother and her disease.

This disease is horrible to deal with in every aspect. If it's that tough on you why don't you leave? Sorry to be harsh but I'm living on the couch with my 3 young kids driving to another town 4 times a day to take my kids to school. I've seen my husband for 4 hours in the last two weeks. It sucks but it's my father and I need to take care of him.

Bear, I've been watching your posts for some time and so admire your grit and tenacity amidst such hardship. Like you, while I find my mother's situation (in our home since 2008, and I am under a cancer watch and have been since before her arrival) difficult, I feel it's the least I can do for the person who brought me into the world. She wasn't the greatest mother to me! but she is the only mother I ever had, and she did her best. Also like you, I worry a bit that the grandmother could be being neglected if the family is not interested in tending to her. As I suggested awhile back, Lisa74 should back out of the care picture, let her parents see if they can handle it without her, and then help them find care assistance, if they can't.

You are a wonderful mother, and this is something that your kids will remember later on as something one just *does*. Good for you.

Bigreader

Jan 22, 2016
Fizzie, perhaps I should have qualified that by explaining that my mother was 90 at the time and had indeed had a very good life prior to the dementia. In no way did I mean to infer that anyone with dementia was not worth caring for. I worded it very badly and apologise for that.
I was trying to get across that I empathised with Linbrusco about giving more time and energy to the PWD than their own family who had their own illnesses. I did hope that anyone might read it all in context that I am still grieving my husband and and feeling tremendous guilt that the dementia came before what turned out to be his final days.

BR x

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Please don't.

We are all under our own stresses, and we all have opinions based on what we know, what our experiences have been, and how much compassion we can muster.

Evidently like fizzie and Bear, I find myself worrying about the grandmother, under these circumstances, and hope that her needs are being tended to.

I don't see why such discussion needs to become venomous. We differ in our views and are trying to find a place to air alternative attitudes and possibilities. It seems to me this is the value of such a forum as this one.

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Fizzie, perhaps I should have qualified that by explaining that my mother was 90 at the time and had indeed had a very good life prior to the dementia. In no way did I mean to infer that anyone with dementia was not worth caring for. I worded it very badly and apologise for that.
I was trying to get across that I empathised with Linbrusco about giving more time and energy to the PWD than their own family who had their own illnesses. I did hope that anyone might read it all in context that I am still grieving my husband and and feeling tremendous guilt that the dementia came before what turned out to be his final days.

BR x

You are an amazing and compassionate person, and I'm sure we understood what you meant but were worried about what can happen when people lose sight of the elder's situation. I'm sorry you lost your husband and under such circumstances. I worry this could happen to me at any time, as my OH, now retired, is still working on old houses and could get injured at any time. Guilt about things we can't control doesn't help anyone, though, and I hope you find a brighter day coming your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.