Bright light therapy - any experiences?

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
My Mum has always (pre-dementia) become a rather depressed once the short dark days set in but was luckily able to travel abroad to sunnier climes to break up the winter. Sadly that can't happen this year due to the decline in her physical health.

She became very depressed last Jan (same time as her sudden and unexplained physical decline) and has been on anti-depressants since Feb. I am dreading the winter and the effect it will have on her. Does anyone have any experience of bright light therapy? I am inclined to think there is nothing to lose and that it is worth giving it a go, as long as I inform the GP. I mentioned to the care home manager that I am going to investigate it, but I don't think they have any experience of other residents trying it so far.

halojones

May 7, 2014
First,what about your mums vitt D levels,as this important vit has a huge effect on us all if it is low, and we only get good levels from the sunlight...if you could get those checked by the doctor(iits another thing on the to do list,sorry!)I take liquid vitamins D drops in the winter..Also I used to have a sunrise/sundown light clock for my self and I found it very very good..! But this was for myself not mum with dementia..mum doesn't get sundowning,so I can't say how it is for dementia, but if I needed to I would try it....x

jawuk

Jan 29, 2014
Lutterworth, Leicestershire
I've always suffered from an element of seasonal affective disorder and dreaded the dark nights arriving. Then years ago my husband bought me a daylight lamp for my cross stitching and I found that it really helped my mood and lifted the dark clouds. They're not cheap by any means but I'd recommend one for anyone affected by the seasonal light changes.

alibaba22

Account Closed
Feb 4, 2016
Hertfordshire UK
Response to vitamin D supplements

First,what about your mums vitt D levels,as this important vit has a huge effect on us all if it is low, and we only get good levels from the sunlight...if you could get those checked by the doctor(iits another thing on the to do list,sorry!)I take liquid vitamins D drops in the winter..Also I used to have a sunrise/sundown light clock for my self and I found it very very good..! But this was for myself not mum with dementia..mum doesn't get sundowning,so I can't say how it is for dementia, but if I needed to I would try it....x

Hi There Halojones,

I totally agree with you regarding vitamin D and think that people don't really take it seriously the good effect that it has on the body.

I am a qualified therapist and caring for my mum with Alzheimers. I am totally into natural alternatives and noticed really great changes since we put her on Ashwagandha supplements. She became very depressed, lacked confidence, would hardly talk to me on the phone as she couldn't get her words out. her old sense of humour gone. But now shes on these supplements its all changed,much more like the old self.talks for about half hour as appose to a minute or two. Shes even started knitting again after years of giving it up.
She's not so depressed now and expresses the way she feels.

If you would like to know more about it and how it works on the brain etc.. please come back to me.

I really feel diet plays a very big part in maintaining not just their health but ours to as we need to be healthy and well in looking after ourselves and them.

I send you big hugs :)

alibaba22