Itching & scratching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
MIL is constantly (discreetly) itching & scratching her right arm, right shoulder & her back on the right side & her neck & face cheeks. She doesn't realise she is doing it and in the morning when I go around to her house to catch her before she gets dressed she is always surprised that she needs me to help her to apply the cream. We sit in front of her mirror so she can see the evidence.

The GP suggested E45 cream - didn't give us a prescription! So far I don't think it's making any difference, I go round there most mornings but I can't make every day. She has scabs, some of which are open.

I know MIL isn't showering or bathing, she does an all over flannel wash but I guess the scratching isn't a hygiene issue as otherwise it would affect the whole of her body?

I noticed the other day when the SW called she was scratching her arm and I wonder if it's a nervous habit?

Last edited:

Pookie

Dec 29, 2011
When I was constantly stratching. My dr gave me an antihistamines. He called mine formication,a feeling as if it's ants were walking over the skin. Not a very nice feeling and mostly at night as well.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Talking Point mobile app

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Husband has what is called urticaria a catch all word for itching with no obvious cause. Antihistamines help and so does E45 as a moisture cream and as a shampoo. I only have Simple soap in the house and on a recommendation bought Skin so Soft moisturising spray. I don't have a door to door rep for the latter so bought it online. My husband likes it best and sprays it on his legs and chest most nights.

Husband showers daily and has fresh underwear and shirt daily so it is not lack of cleanliness which is the problem. I think you have to learn to live with it while trying all of the above. I would also watch the amount of sugary stuff she is eating as that can make it worse.

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
My gran is an itcher too, her GP tried her with antihistamines, anti-fungals nothing really helped, except for the E45.

They wanted to refer her to a dermatologist but i cant see that they would do anymore at her age. Just keep applying the cream.

x

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
Yes, we've changed her to Simple Soap. I suppose it's possible when flannel washing that a certain amount of soap could get left on the skin but then why is only the right side itchy?

I was wondering about an antihistamine, if we could stop the itchy feeling it might stop the habit of scratching. But she's on heart tablets and Aricept so I guess we should ask the GP and not buy it over the counter?

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Mum was an itcher turned out it was a reaction to one of her long term meds. Long process to figure it out though.

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Are the scabs due to the scratching or an underlying problem? E45 do an itch relief cream (you prob already know that) Could be it is only the right side cos she can't reach the left as well?

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Could be lots of things, the most common ones are an allergy - this can develop at any age, and can be a reaction to almost anything or eczema.

I;d have thought that a skin allergy would be unlikely to be localised - a reaction to say a washing powder would be everywhere.

But eczema is often localised into patches, which are frequently but not always symetrical (i.e. if you get a patch on your left knee, the chances are, you'll get it on the right too)

E45 is just a soothing moisturiser and it will not treat the underlying cause if the problem is allergy or eczema. Allergy is treated with antihistamines (either an ointment or tablets), eczema using steroid ointments which come in varying strengths.

Both conditions can get into vicious circles where the itching skin gets scratched, scabs, begins to heal which in itself causes more itching and so on.

I'd keep going back to the doctor - eczema can be a very distressing condition and can be triggered or made worse by stress. I used to get it and the itch is unbearable, it;s impossible not to scratch and I used to do it until my skin was raw and bleeding, and then do it some more, occasionally even using things like scissors to have a good go!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
We have been down the allergy route giving up stuff like grapes, wine, beer, chocolate - no difference. Then his levels of bilirubin in his blood were high and it was thought that a gall stone might be cause. It was removed - no difference. Changed washing powder - no difference. So on and so forth. I decided to stop trying to find the cause and just treat the symptoms. I note that John suffers mostly at night and gets up for another spray of SSS which seems to do the trick. He does have very sensitive skin and reacts badly to sticking plasters or any tubigrip etc.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
An allergy can be to almost anything and in the tiniest amount. If it's an uncommon one or an extreme sensitivity it can be virtually impossible to find or eliminate the sourc eof the trouble.

Has a course of antihistamines been tried?

Sometimes the only way to pin something down as an allergy is to try antihistamines: if they help, it's probably an allergy. If they don't it's probably something else.

Antihistamines are fairly innocuous drugs that don;t interact much with other things and have few side effects.

Obvously you would not wish to try this without the doctor's approval.

As a child I had chronic allergies with the same symptoms as bad colds. The consultant told my mum "give him an antihistamine tablet: if things improve, it;s the allergy, if they don't, it's a cold!"

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Antihistamines do seem to help Nebiroth but not permanently. John is sensitive to just about everything but not to the extent of not being able to cope. He never breaks the skin but tells me he wants to do just that!

He is one of the younger children from a big family where I imagine they took no notice of his sensitivities and I have wondered about the psychosomatic effects of being married to a wife who is "solution driven".

Just joking!

ossie10

Jul 22, 2013
just read this and very helpful.I have dementia (told upstart two years ago) and lately i have been really scratchy/itchy at night,i dont know wether its because i dont sleep alot and notice it more at night
Didn't want to tell carers/support workers as they do enough for me and had enough of GP's.lol

Thanks again will try that soothing cream

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Ossie since then we are still treating John's itch with E45 Itch Relief Cream specifically. I told the GP the antihistamines were having no effect any more so he put John on one which can only be used at night as it makes you sleep. In fact it is like a knock out blow and I only give it to John if we have no pressing engagements next day. So if you need a good sleep ask your doctor to prescribe this type.

Good luck with the itch.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Yes, we've changed her to Simple Soap. I suppose it's possible when flannel washing that a certain amount of soap could get left on the skin but then why is only the right side itchy?

I was wondering about an antihistamine, if we could stop the itchy feeling it might stop the habit of scratching. But she's on heart tablets and Aricept so I guess we should ask the GP and not buy it over the counter?

I had an itchy rash for ages. Doc prescribed antihistamines and cream. It went eventually and I can only use gentle non bio washing liquid when washing clothes.

Aisling

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Creams can actually produce more itching, in my experience with my mother. I have settled on any powder I can find that has miconazole, which is an antifungal agent. Currently we are using Desenex - yes, a foot powder, but with just the right amount of miconazole that my mother's no longer itching. She has creases in her belly and under her breasts, and we use the powder there, too. It helps her feel fresh, and the powder, not being wet, does not contribute to the problem. It has worked for us.

If you do a search using the search terms miconazole powders, you'll find a number of products come up. Maybe one of these will be worth a try.

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
My FiL scratches constantly, not only his skin but also the sleeve of his jumper, or his trousers. I'm not sure if it's just a nervous habit. His GP spotted him scratching and gave him a prescription for Zerobase. I apply it whenever I see him scratching. It seems to soothe for a short while, and then he's back to scratching again. No answers from me, but I'll bear in mind other possible causes and treatments mentioned here - very helpful, thank you.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Have just been shopping in our well known high street pharmacy B****. They have E 45 products on 3 for 2 and since they are not cheap thought this might be useful to some of you.

John currently is scratching desperately at his scrotum and I give him a handful of this cream to rub on the offending part. It seems to work.

Miss shiraz

Dec 24, 2014
Midlands
MIL goes through phases of scratching and after much research we've come to the conclusion its a nervous thing. Doctor / nurse prescribed some E45 type cream which helps it heal.
Her other habit is sniffing... she doesn't have a cold though. Its very annoying though but doesn't bother her in the slightest.

Sorry a bit late replying.. playing catch up!

Status
Not open for further replies.