So bizarre !

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

2jays - got fingers and toes crossed that the addition of regular pain relief, the porridge and the chair make life better for your Mum x For the second night, Mil has had a 'good' night, no disturbances or wandering, and again, I had given the paracetamol and porridge. I have been adding the pain relief to her morning tablets pretty much every morning, as she tends to complain of being 'achey' and stiff when she gets up, but of an evening, I had been asking her if she has any pain, and mostly she has said no, so I haven't given them. The last two nights I've just added them without asking. I honestly can't see how she could be hungry - she starts the day with porrige and toast, I know damn well that they give her more toast as soon as she gets to DC, she has a 2 course lunch there, sundry biscuits and snacks, then a cooked meal when she gets home - but I suspect that it may have something to do with the medication changes over the last few months, as prior to that, night time disturbances were brief and easily sorted, and she would almost never ask for more food - unless she was sundowning, when she always gets the 'munchies'! I am worried a bit about weight gain - which would make any joint pain worse for her - but I've increased veg and salad, and cut the carbs on her evening meal, so I hope that will compensate. Porridge was chosen for the reasons that MrsB and JM have mentioned - and because she absolutely loves it :D

We've added a chair to her room, MrsB - but we have just removed the commode (which she hasn't used for months) and simply put the chair in its place, with a floor lamp behind it, as we didn't want to make too much upheaval or change for her. And yep, I did get her a cuddly sorted at Christmas - a cuddly leprachaun! She had been so dismissive when I'd tried with toys in the past, that I tried to be a bit craftier about it - with her being Irish, I figured that she might not see it as a 'childish' toy, but rather as something appropriate because of the Irish link. While she hasn't taken to cuddling it, she has allowed it to stay in her room, sitting either on the bed or chair.

Slugsta, I'll be adding my thoughts to everyone elses, and I'll bring my share of bickkies too, hun. I hope your friend can be with you - its not that i don't feel for her other friend, but I sort of know you, and want you to be OK :eek: Got fingers crossed that your Mum went to DC with no issues, too xxxx

JM, hope you got your shower hun - nothing worse than the upheaval when a bathroom (or kitchen) is being 'done up' and you lose hot water! Like your Mum, my Mil 'forgets' that she has arthritus - she complains of pain often in the mornings, but is adamant that its due to her having fallen over, usually she says 'at school'.

Rang and rang the GP's yesterday morning, and just couldn't get through :( Mils chest still sounds clear, but she is snotty and sniffly and a bit croaky, just a head cold I think, though I am going to try the GP again today.

Despite the cold yesteray morning, she was really, really chatty - I think a full nights sleep did her as much good as it did us! She has managed to not only lose the lipstick she carried in her bag, but the 3 left from the gift pack I had bought her also seem to have vanished from her room, and despite the fact that we haven't really had the 'lipstick loop' for a long time, no lipstick yesterday morning sent her into a tizz, and she went on and on about it, mixing in plenty of other odd comments and talk. Once again, she had me more than half convinced that one tale, about how the mini bus had broken down the day before, could be based on reality. She sounded so plausible and the tone and body languge and everything were so appropriate - but nope, turns out to be another fantasy. Not that that matters - its just that once again, I'm surprised at how convincing she was - I thought that ability was long gone!

Went to pick her up at 5, she was waiting in the hall and she looked at me with absolutely no recognition, seeming a bit surprised when I approached her and greeted her by name . I asked was she OK and she said 'I'm sorry - but I can't think of your name'. Occasionally, she has mixed me up with a 'Pat Valentine' (who I assume is someone she knew years ago), and she rarely gets my connection to her right - but this is the first time where she has clearly 'lost' not only what I am to her, but any recognition of me, including my name. Once I said 'I'm Ann', she 'got' it and the distress vanished straight away, thankfully. She then had to be persuaded to leave without the other 'ladies' that she was hell bent on offering a lift to (again!).

The delusions came thick and fast once at home, and nearly all about the 'babby' - a little boy, according to Mi last night, at various times it was her and her son's baby, or she was looking after it, or it was my 'babby', and she was up and down, going to make his bottle, check if he was still asleep, see if he needed changing, see if the 'water had boiled for the babby's things' (?). It felt like every time I turned my back for a second, she was heading up the stairs to do someting for this 'babby'. She also had 'Rhubard cakes' and 'apple pies' baking, had to wash the 'bits from the car' that her husband had left in the kitchen sink, had to 'check the water under the potatoes', see if she had 'turned the gas off', get the 'blue book from by the pan' - she just didn't stop. As soon as OH got in from work, she started on 'home', and then back to that blasted 'babby' again, but the porridge and her meds distracted her, and she was off to bed - where she again seems to have stayed, other than loo visits, all night.

Hoping that the 'head cold' hasn't migrated to her chest when i get her up this morning - OH again in work (I hate this 8 day run, where he does 5 x 12 hour shifts, plus one 9 hour shift) and I have a lot I want to get done today.

Hope you all have a good day xxxx

chrissie121

Nov 27, 2013
Packing Bags to Go Home

A few months ago mum was confusing real life with t.v programmes, does not do it so much now, but her sentences are not connected, its like she has all these different thoughts and threads in her head and it all comes out in one conversation, for example: Dogs need to go out that's why I have this candle so when we go to the bank you must ring your brother to take dog to vet. I have noticed that she is forgetting more words so I have to listen very carefully in order to work out what she means. Shes started talking in her sleep, just as jumbled, but this keeps me on edge because sometimes she wakes herself up and I need to be ready to calm her back to bed. More confused and forgetful in the mornings now, used to be she was great having had a good nights sleep, but not now. However through all these changes she still packs her bags and asks me to take her home.

HI there, you must be a very kind and generous lady to look after your Mum at your home and have the patience of several Saints!. My lovely Mum ( 70%) of the time has been in full time residential care for about a year now having been diagnosed with vascular dementia around 4 years ago. I work full time and worked/lived in London and tried everything with carers every day/district nurses morning and night ( for medication purposes) cleaner/companion every weekend ( both days) and family visiting 3/4 week organising transportation, cleaners, shopping/day centre/neighbours and memory clinic to help keep her safe and happy but sadly it became too much and she couldn't be left alone for any periods. She did seem settled in the home, it is lovely with such kind and caring staff but the past few months she has wanted to go home and is constantly packing her bags to go home, I am not even sure she knows where this is any more. What do you do when your mother packs her bags, how do you get her off the idea? Any advice gratefully received.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
HI there, you must be a very kind and generous lady to look after your Mum at your home and have the patience of several Saints!. My lovely Mum ( 70%) of the time has been in full time residential care for about a year now having been diagnosed with vascular dementia around 4 years ago. I work full time and worked/lived in London and tried everything with carers every day/district nurses morning and night ( for medication purposes) cleaner/companion every weekend ( both days) and family visiting 3/4 week organising transportation, cleaners, shopping/day centre/neighbours and memory clinic to help keep her safe and happy but sadly it became too much and she couldn't be left alone for any periods. She did seem settled in the home, it is lovely with such kind and caring staff but the past few months she has wanted to go home and is constantly packing her bags to go home, I am not even sure she knows where this is any more. What do you do when your mother packs her bags, how do you get her off the idea? Any advice gratefully received.

Hi Chrissie,

What your describing is called 'sundowning' - you may well have come across the term before. Its a period of time where the person with dementia becomes agitated and often they want to 'go home' - even if they are at home, even if they have been living in the same place for 50 years or more, it happens. Some people find that they can distract by perhaps taking their loved one for a short drive in a car, or they might be able to distract in other ways, but usually its a case of just 'riding it out', because often the pwd is extremely resistent to anything that will stop this behaviour. It generally affects the person in the evening (hence the name) but it can affect at any time during the day (or night) and the length of time it lasts for and the intensity with which it hits varies enormously from person to person. I've yet to find any medical or scientific explanation for it, yet it is something that seems incredibly common.

My Mil (Mum in law) gets very intense sundowning, where she can get almost hysterical and will pound at the doors and windows on occasion. Over the years, we have tried various medications and at best, they have toned down the symptoms, but sad to say, nothing we have tried has ever stopped the sundowning completely. It seems only time and progression of the illness will do that for some people. If its really bad for your Mum, try having a word with her carers at the home and see if they feel she needs some help with this. I do feel for you - and your Mum. Its a horribly upsetting and miserable part of dementia for anyone to cope with xxxx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Hoping for a quieter day for you. But are all those jobs really necessary?

As mil has made those yummy rhubarb cakes, seems rude not to have one, so can I visit today, thereby making sure you get some ME time too :D

Edited: that look of non recognition :( first time it happened to me wasn't a nice feeling xxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited:

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Just had a long posting to send, and it just disappeared.
Wont bother again today, not sure what went wrong.
IE stopped working???

Will try again tomorrow. x

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Oh dear, that's so frustrating when that happens. I recommend that you should draft your longer posts in e.g. a Word document, or draft email, and save it every few minutes. Then you can copy and paste when you are ready. I am finding with TP that my posts seem to autosave on a regular basis, so provided you don't close your Web browser the message should be saved in draft?

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Just had a long posting to send, and it just disappeared.
Wont bother again today, not sure what went wrong.
IE stopped working???

Will try again tomorrow. x

It should have been auto-saved, I am looking forward to your next instalment xx.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
I've had it refuse to upload after pressing 'submit reply' a lot recently, but if I press my browser's back button the original is still there and I can try again, Grace. (For next time.)

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I always use my phone to post, so no back up button, so Most of the time I copy my message before I hit the reply button - except when I forget to, and that's when I sometimes loose my messages :D

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
How is everyone today? I do like the fact that it is staying light a little longer, I manage to persuade myself that spring is just around the corner. Mind you, the grey skies that accompany this torrential rain do rather ruin that illusion :(

Ann, thank heavens for a few quiet nights - long may they continue! I do hope that MIL's chest remains clear, I know how vulnerable peeps with COPD are.

I thought of you and MIL today when Mum's neighbour told me she had said that she has 2 broken legs. He pointed out that she had just walked into his flat, so that was rather unlikely :D Mum still says she is not sore following her fall - which is great, although rather surprising. She says that she went to DC yesterday, enjoyed it and wants to continue. I do hope that is true.:D along with the fact that the staff are going to remain in post, it seems to be the week for good news :)

Mum has taken to using a 3 wheeled rollator rather than the 4 wheeled one we bought for her. I must phone her friend and ask if it is a spare or whether she is left stranded when Mum goes out! We had an ongoing battle to try and lock the 3 wheeler into place. Like many, Mum insists on using it partially closed so that she can better squeeze through doors etc. Of course, it is not stable like that... Today she was carrying around her phone, camera and crossword solver, dog knows why! I have removed the camera at least, maybe she will answer her phone again now. She also counted out 50p in change and tried to give it me in place of £5, a problem that looks as if it is here to stay.

You know how it is, when dementia is in the early stages and sometimes the PWD seems so well that you doubt the diagnosis and yourself? And then something happens that rubs your nose in the truth? That's how I've been feeling since our trip to A+E on Sunday. I know this is still early days and many of you have to deal with far worse but, for the first time, I thought hard about what might lie in store. Please dog that she will not live long enough for that (and I know I can only really say that here!).

Apparently my friend dithered all evening about what to do next week, eventually her hubby decided for her! So, we have both apologised to other friend but have told her that bff (best female friend) is going to take me to hosp next week. She will go to the funeral if I go down to theatre early enough. I'm very glad but I do feel sorry for both of the others, it's the kind of situation where it is impossible to please everyone.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Spring is just around the corner.... But I have a feeling it's a long corner :D

Tho saying that, I have another daffodil out in my patio pot - one arrived on Boxing Day and was then frozen out..... And the gypsy rose has started to bloom :)

A difficult choice/situation for them, but Glad - is that the word I wonder - ummm..... pleased for you that your friend can support you at hospital.

xxxxx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Glad your friend has decided to support you Slugsta.

Ann - glad you've had a few good nights. Maybe if MIL is arthritic more regular paracetamol would help?

Slugsta - you may know this with your background but OT said they don't like the 3 wheeled rollators due to the not fully opening it issue which causes falls, especially in dementia sufferers as they don't understand the need. She supplied my mum with a frame and said to try and get her to use that all the time. She does use it a lot (she put a plant in the rollator).

My mum clearly has dementia but she can manage some things so well and others not that at the moment there seems little progression to me. There probably is to others who see her less often. Think she still understands money but couldn't manage a phone or camera.

Back to POA stuff tomorrow now work done for the week - think that because I got so behind with it and there is so much of it it has become a big issue for me, so documenting it on here shows I am making some progress.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
JM, hope tomorrow goes OK and you polish off that paperwork.
2jays, Spring is definitely round the corner, my favourite irises are up. It's a small dark purple one called, I think, George! I just love it
As you say, days really noticeably longer. However, it was very nippy tuesday morning, even though the sun was shining ( it didn't stay for long!). Wednesday was just miserable! Fortunately went to a friends for lunch, with another friend, so went had a very long chat and some good food! Did me a power if good, I have been feeling very down the last few days. No particular reason why.
Keep smiling!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

Not sure about spring being round the corner this morning, folks - opened the patio door to let the pups out, first thing, and was met by a positively arctic blast - brrrrrrrrr! Having said that, late last summer, we dug up our smallish front lawn, put concrete and slabs down on the top half (so we could park Old Red off road) and filled the bottom half with about 400 assorted bulbs - and we have both daff's and crocus starting to flower now.

The 'jobs' were just things I wanted to get 'out of the way' 2jays - and not all I had to do came under the heading of 'jobs' really, anyway :) Included in the list was a promise to myself to have a soak and use the spa jets in our bath tub, as my backs been aching a lot over the last week - and to start sorting out some space on my total of 4 terabytes of hard drive, which is getting a bit on the full side - I'm dreadful for not weeding out and deleting images that I'm not happy with, and with over 1000 folder's of images, with up to 1000 plus photographs (saved in RAW and Jpeg) in each folder, I could create a lot of space if I could just find the time (and inclination) to actually get rid of what I don't want and will never use! I had my soak and I made a start on the weeding out - but, I kept finding folders of images I'd forgotten about and getting distracted with looking and editing, rather than deleting :rolleyes:

Oh Grace - how frustrating! Hope you get the time soon to come and update us all, and let us know how you are, hun xxx

I'm glad (pleased?) your friend is going with you to the hospital, Slugsta - I do feel for your other friend and the funeral, but as you say, its one of those 'no win' situations. I'm sure your other friend will understand and knows that you both will be thinking of her xxxx I was also advised against the 3 wheeled rollator for Mil - though I'm not sure that anyone could claim that she is using the 2 wheeled frame we got her that well, anyway - DC are constantly telling me that she is more likely to be found carrying the darn thing than using it as intended - and I must admit, I've seen her doing that myself. If she wants to get somewhere quickly, she lifts it about 3 inches off the ground in front of her instead of her using it for support, and carries it to where she is going. Its main use - in her eyes - is that it makes a handy battering ram, when she is sundowning and using it to bash at the front door :rolleyes:

I know what you mean about wondering/doubting the diagnosis in the early stages - I know that for about 18 months, we almost forgot about it with Mil, the initial changes were so gradual - though looking back, personality changes were far more obvious, just that we didn't necessarily put them down to the dementia at the time. Not knowing then what I know now, I don't think it occured to me to wish for her to have a peaceful and merciful death before things got too bad - But God knows, I wish it for her now :(

Good luck with the paperwork, JM - I absolutely loathe any sort of paperwork, even my own - filling out my tax return became a massive issue for me, the first couple of years I had to do it, causing me sleepless nights and worry, and I did it last minute. Last year, I made myself do it as soon as it was time, and it was fantastic to have it over and done. It has to be 1000% worse with all the work that you have to sort with the POA, so I hope it goes smoothly from now on and you can get it all out of the way, asap xxxx

{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}} Spamar - sorry to hear you have been feeling so low, Hun - and glad that the time with your friend helped to lift you up xxxxx

Despite Mil sleeping well, usual struggle to get her up yesterday morning - and the coat loop nearly sent me demented! Before I had even done her hair, or she had put her shoes on, she started with 'I'll just put my coat on' and continued with it every few seconds up to the mini bus arriving. Cups of tea, the TV, suggesting she take her clean PJ's upstairs and put them away, asking her to 'Just tidy up those cushions for me, love' - nothing distracted her. It was 'I'll just put my coat on', me suggesting (then eventually, telling her firmly) to wait till the bus got here, that she would be too warm, etc etc, and me not even finishing speaking before she would get up and 'I'll just put my coat on' and heading to get it again.

Picked her up at 5, and for once, she didn't have any ladies lined up fro me to give a lift to. (OH reminded me the other day that she used to do this all the time, years before the dementia. Fil would go to pick her up from somewhere, and she would have offered 2 or 3 friends/workmates a lift. It used to drive Fil mad, because Mil would never consider that he often would have to go miles out of his way to take some of these people home! I actually remember one or two quite big rows over it happening, when thanks to Mil offering lifts to all and sundry, Fil ended up late for things that he had organised to do). As soon as she got in the car, we had queries about her parents, her brother, going 'home' and the 'babby' - I stuck to the excuse of heavy traffic and needing to drive to avoid any discussion starting. Back home, and within minutes, she wanted me to let her in the kitchen so she could 'turn off the water under the pan' - was glad that OH arriving home distracted her from that. About an hour after tea, OH put a film on and Mil seemed to get 'into' it - only it was one heck of a long film and by 8.30 she was yawning her head off. At 9, OH asked her would she like her porridge, meds and bed, telling her she could watch the rest of the film tomorrow. She seemed very keen to agree, so fed, meds and bed - only for her to come downstairs within 10 minutes and say she wanted to see the end of the film. OH reminded her she had had her sleeping tablets and would get 'woozy' so had to go to bed now. She retreated to the hall then we got a mini tantrum - feet stamping and 'Its not fair!'. :rolleyes: I went out to her to find that she had undone her PJ top and was stood there with her boobs on full view , in front of our glass panalled front door:eek: I said 'For goodness sake, Mrs - cover them up! I don't want to see them!'. I got a filthy look and she responded quick as a flash 'Neither do I - but if I have to put up with it, so do you!'. But, she then stomped up the stairs and all quiet since.

Her cold seems a lot better, so I left phoning the GP - though I am still keeping a very close eye on her.

No plans for today, other than getting the 'basics' done - since the awful Sunday night and little/no sleep, OH has done 2 x 12 hour and one 9 hour shift and he is shattered, so I think a very quiet day ahead, if possible.

Hope you all have a good day xxx

AnoviceinN1

Feb 27, 2014
Good morning Ann, 4TB of data!! Just a quick idea and off AZ topic - how about getting an external hard drive (or two, in your case :)) and storing images on there? That would be a relatively quick fix, which means you could keep images you are not sure you want to get rid of but can't "afford" to keep either.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Good morning Ann, 4TB of data!! Just a quick idea and off AZ topic - how about getting an external hard drive (or two, in your case :)) and storing images on there? That would be a relatively quick fix, which means you could keep images you are not sure you want to get rid of but can't "afford" to keep either.

Lol - 2 Tb of the 4 is on an external hard drive :D And I filled about 40 DVD's with images, a year or so ago, to create space - I'm just too snap happy - over 700 images taken last week at the zoo (times 2, cos I shoot in raw and jpeg!) - at least 200 of them are shots that I won't use (for a variety of reasons) so I should really delete - but I get caught up in the editing, and posting on various photography sites and I always leave the 'sorting and deleting' till 'later' (and it never gets done :eek: )

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Wonderful to hear you had some ME time :)

Good idea about the external hard drives. Whats a tetra bite more when you have so many already, I'm sure you will manage :D

I can remember going to see a computer on a school trip. We had to don white coats, hair and shoe covers and went into this huge room full of large metal cabinets with flashing lights, that had paper with holes coming out of it which folded neatly into a box. How things have changed.
I seem to remember it looked something like the photo I have attached.

Have as good a day as you can everyone

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTalking Point1453969638.480896.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalking Point1453969638.480896.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 547

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Lol 2jays - don't think I saw a computor till I was in my 20's - a home pc, belonging to an ex - I thought that was big and clunky compared to what we have now, but your image has it beat :D I guess I will end up buying another hard drive - but, I am trying to save as I really (REALLY) want a 600mm lens, especially as I have the AP for the zoo - my current zoom lens is 300mm, and I've been frustrated at not getting quite as close as I want with that. Unfortunately, even second hand I'm looking at £500 - £900 for the lens I want (It needs to work with my full frame camera, as well as my other DSLR) so anything I can avoid paying out for a hard drive can go towards that - though I reckon it will be at least another year before I can afford it :(

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Cloud storage? Move your old files to Dropbox and edit/delete them at your leisure later?