Exhaustion of carer

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
I was too polite to say anything, Scarlett! :D You know me! :D:D
But yes. I did think some things! "friends" indeed! A friend is someone who is there for you, regardless of your present circumstances. I'm sure their lives and circumstances are not always "positive", Aisling. Would they be so understanding if all their own friends deserted them when the chips were down, saying they could only be friends when things were "positive"?

I know it's difficult for people to know what to say - there's nothing they can say. I know it's difficult for people to visit when often, the pwd can't make conversation the way they used to. No-one visited us either when William was at home. They said it was awkward, because you couldn't hold a conversation with William. Well, I knew that - I was there all the time!

Lots of people to chat to on here, Aisling!:) Not quite the same, maybe, but at least no one on here will say they can't handle your situation!

Thank you so much. Aisling

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
The fact that Care is often a Postcode Lottery, is my biggest gripe. :mad: Have you asked about Crossroads Care in your area? I had 12 hours every 4 weeks, partially funded by the Peoples' Lottery, and split mine into 3 hours a week. I only had to pay £22.50 every 4 weeks.

All extra hours cost me abut £17 an hour - obviously we are all assumed to be millionaires! Have you had an assessment for your hubby, and one for you from Social Services? You must be on your knees sweetie, with a 2 year old to care for as well. :( Sending you a huge cyber bouquet, choccies, and a bottle of your favourite tipple. :)[/QUOTE
The postcode lottery is scandalous.The city I live in is in danger of not being able to meet it's statutory requirements in the next financial year.I really can't bear to think what that might mean.

Ash148

Jan 1, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
From one Aisling to another☺️

Fair Deal is not nearly as complicated as it seems at first glance. Please do look into it.

If you don't mind me asking, where in Ireland are you located?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
From one Aisling to another☺️

Fair Deal is not nearly as complicated as it seems at first glance. Please do look into it.

If you don't mind me asking, where in Ireland are you located?

Heheh! Another from this side of the stream! :) Nice to see more from Ireland on here. When I joined, there were only a couple of us! It's good to have more joining, because of course the "system " is so different over here.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
The fact that Care is often a Postcode Lottery, is my biggest gripe. :mad: Have you asked about Crossroads Care in your area? I had 12 hours every 4 weeks, partially funded by the Peoples' Lottery, and split mine into 3 hours a week. I only had to pay £22.50 every 4 weeks.

All extra hours cost me abut £17 an hour - obviously we are all assumed to be millionaires! Have you had an assessment for your hubby, and one for you from Social Services? You must be on your knees sweetie, with a 2 year old to care for as well. :( Sending you a huge cyber bouquet, choccies, and a bottle of your favourite tipple. :)[/QUOTE
The postcode lottery is scandalous.The city I live in is in danger of not being able to meet it's statutory requirements in the next financial year.I really can't bear to think what that might mean.

It's a dreadful state of affairs, and one can only hope that the so-called proposed increase in Council Tax, primarily for Care of the Elderly, will be used wisely, and not for highly expensive trips to exotic places, for a small cohort to go on a fact-finding mission!!!

Mollymayson

Jan 16, 2016
Carers allowence

Hi just want to say what a fab. Site this is and what a wonderful bunch of people you all are.
I am now caring for my mum who just been diagnosed with alzsimers and my dad he ok mentally but very dodgy on his feet and has had 3 falls, I live with my husband who will be 70 next year so doesn't work and is a pensioner, I don't have any income coming in as my husband is on pension credit going back around 5 years ago where he injured his back and could no longer work, so I had only worked part time cleaning, but now I am caring for my parents just wondered if we were entitled to any benefits such as Carers allowance, any help and or advice would be truly grateful, as it's quite over welling as I'm still in shock really that my wonderful mum has this awful illness.
Thank you and take car all you wonderful people x

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Do Alzheimer's society in your area have the befriending service. My husband has a 'friend' who spends 3 hours a fortnight with him.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Hi Trisha,

Alzheimers don't have a befriending service in Ireland. They have some excellent services in some areas e.g. Day care, home help etc but little service where we live in the Midlands.

Aisling ( Ireland )

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Aisling is there an Alzheimers Society Day Care Centre anywhere near you? Because they do a home care service (where someone comes to sit with the pwd while you have a break). Most of the home care workers are on CE schemes. They do cover rural areas, I know, because a worker that used to come to us, her previous client was over an hour away in the middle of nowhere!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Hi just want to say what a fab. Site this is and what a wonderful bunch of people you all are.
I am now caring for my mum who just been diagnosed with alzsimers and my dad he ok mentally but very dodgy on his feet and has had 3 falls, I live with my husband who will be 70 next year so doesn't work and is a pensioner, I don't have any income coming in as my husband is on pension credit going back around 5 years ago where he injured his back and could no longer work, so I had only worked part time cleaning, but now I am caring for my parents just wondered if we were entitled to any benefits such as Carers allowance, any help and or advice would be truly grateful, as it's quite over welling as I'm still in shock really that my wonderful mum has this awful illness.
Thank you and take car all you wonderful people x

Hi Sweetie, and a warm welcome from me to Talking Point. :) If you are caring for your Mum, at least 35 hours a week, and you don't get personally State Retirement Pension, or earn more than about £100 a week, you can claim Carers Allowance. You don't have to be physically looking after her the whole of that time either. The 35 hours could include doing her washing in your house, taking her to medical appointments, writing letters and form completion etc.

If you google Carers Allowance then you can read the various info on the Government's website, as to the criteria. Good luck, and if you need any help, just ask. We're all here for each other :) xxx

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
I am totally exhausted. T needs me every second of every day. I can only take care of him and this takes up the whole day. I keep kitchen and bathroom clean and that is all I can do. Does anyone else have this problem. I don't have carers coming in as it is too expensive.

I would love to hear from other carers please.

Aisling ( Ireland)

i know what you mean carers around me are £20/hr
i feal for you

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Hi Trisha,

Alzheimers don't have a befriending service in Ireland. They have some excellent services in some areas e.g. Day care, home help etc but little service where we live in the Midlands.

Aisling ( Ireland )[/QUOT

I contacted Alzheimers (Ireland) and they have a befriending service in Cork!!

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Hi everyone.

T coming home from respite tomorrow. I had loads of things to do this week and failed!! Very tired. Am decluttering bathroom and getting separate bedroom ready. Will see how it works out.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Hi everyone.

T coming home from respite tomorrow. I had loads of things to do this week and failed!! Very tired. Am decluttering bathroom and getting separate bedroom ready. Will see how it works out.

Tried to get bed into our room but wouldn't fit.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Hi everyone.

Tried to get bed into our room but wouldn't fit.

Thanks for all your support.

Aisling (Ireland)