Meal ideas for my dad who is not eating well

Frankieisblue

Dec 19, 2015
He has cereal and toast for breakfast but the rest of the days he hardly eats at all.......would those complan meals in a drink be worth trying ?...........you can get them on prescription can't you ? We use Wiltshire farm foods but he just picks at them , even the small meals

Patricia Alice

Mar 2, 2015
He has cereal and toast for breakfast but the rest of the days he hardly eats at all.......would those complan meals in a drink be worth trying ?...........you can get them on prescription can't you ? We use Wiltshire farm foods but he just picks at them , even the small meals

You can get his GP to prescribe either Ensure Plus or Forticips, they are a flavoured milkshake with vitamins and minerals.

My mum is on Ensure plus twice a day as she hardly eats anything, a mouthful of food here and there. She can usually manage soup but finds anything solid difficult to eat.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
If he is eating cereal in the morning but not much else, I am wondering if there is a swallowing problem or maybe some pain in his mouth/throat. It may well be worth getting the GP to ask for SaLT advice (ie Speech and Language Therapist) who deal with problems like this. My husband had similar problems and SaLT advised thickening of drinks and pureed food and that made such a difference.

Then I often made a lime jelly mixed with yoghurt as it was setting. This made a refreshing and nourishing snack.

I also agree its worth asking GP to prescribe fortified milk style drinks.

middlemiss

Apr 27, 2014
I'd definately ask for a SALT referral. My mum only eats jacket potatoes with cheese, egg or cheese sandwiches, cake and biscuits, toast and jam, chips, bread and butter, bananas, she doesn't recognise anything else now. She won't drink fortisips or any other fortified drinks, only lemonade and tea. I'd give her jacket potato and cheese 3 times a day if she wanted! The unit she's currently in for assessment give her anything but, write 'refused' in her care plan and wonder why she's lost so much weight......
When at home, I found she ate a softer diet and wrote out menu plans for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the carers that also helped my brother with the shopping too. They were taken with her to hospital - but that's another story.

Frankieisblue

Dec 19, 2015
Thank you my friend

You can get his GP to prescribe either Ensure Plus or Forticips, they are a flavoured milkshake with vitamins and minerals.

My mum is on Ensure plus twice a day as she hardly eats anything, a mouthful of food here and there. She can usually manage soup but finds anything solid difficult to eat.

God bless you

Frankieisblue

Dec 19, 2015
Thank you so much

I'd definately ask for a SALT referral. My mum only eats jacket potatoes with cheese, egg or cheese sandwiches, cake and biscuits, toast and jam, chips, bread and butter, bananas, she doesn't recognise anything else now. She won't drink fortisips or any other fortified drinks, only lemonade and tea. I'd give her jacket potato and cheese 3 times a day if she wanted! The unit she's currently in for assessment give her anything but, write 'refused' in her care plan and wonder why she's lost so much weight......
When at home, I found she ate a softer diet and wrote out menu plans for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the carers that also helped my brother with the shopping too. They were taken with her to hospital - but that's another story.

This place is brilliant

Frankieisblue

Dec 19, 2015
Aww thanks friend xx

If he is eating cereal in the morning but not much else, I am wondering if there is a swallowing problem or maybe some pain in his mouth/throat. It may well be worth getting the GP to ask for SaLT advice (ie Speech and Language Therapist) who deal with problems like this. My husband had similar problems and SaLT advised thickening of drinks and pureed food and that made such a difference.

Then I often made a lime jelly mixed with yoghurt as it was setting. This made a refreshing and nourishing snack.

I also agree its worth asking GP to prescribe fortified milk style drinks.

Much help , kind regards