Respite Care

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Unfortunately my GP only gives my mother Aricept and no sleeping tabs cus he says my mum would lose her balance, so instead half a Quetiapine at night I said forget about the half at night cus they r imposs to cut without the other half being losses. But every month I ring up for repeat prescription it's the same thing it's only half one at night it's crazy really is plus they don't seem to work for sleep.

You really need the support of your GP - ours was very good. Also wouldn't prescribe sleeping tabs for the same reason - understandable but we found that 2 paracetamol in the evening made a big difference to a night's sleep and lots of others on here find that for some reason it does have a settling effect. It's worth a try and apparently doesn't interfere with other meds.

If your GP isn't listening then perhaps it is time to change GPs? or can you get a re- referral to the memory clinic and explain the day care panic situation and ask if they can help/suggest

Try the paracetamol

PeterMD

Jan 1, 2016
N.IRELAND
paracetamol

You really need the support of your GP - ours was very good. Also wouldn't prescribe sleeping tabs for the same reason - understandable but we found that 2 paracetamol in the evening made a big difference to a night's sleep and lots of others on here find that for some reason it does have a settling effect. It's worth a try and apparently doesn't interfere with other meds.

If your GP isn't listening then perhaps it is time to change GPs? or can you get a re- referral to the memory clinic and explain the day care panic situation and ask if they can help/suggest

Try the paracetamol

Thank u will try the paracetamol do u use the 8mg over the counter ones ?

And for some reason the memory clinic hasn't contacted me in over 3 years for the annual test.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Yes just the plain old over the counter ones. My Ma had been prescribed cocodamol for old eye shingles pain and the pharmacist said to me to try paracetamol because there were far fewer, if any, side effects like constipation and bingo it made a difference to her being more settled and then I read all the anecdotal stuff from others - so now I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

I would phone the memory clinic and tell them because they may well be able to adjust meds which may well make a big difference to you. Try it - I know it is an uphill struggle but.....it may be well worth it

keep posting we are all here to give you support whatever you decide xx

PeterMD

Jan 1, 2016
N.IRELAND
thanks

Yes just the plain old over the counter ones. My Ma had been prescribed cocodamol for old eye shingles pain and the pharmacist said to me to try paracetamol because there were far fewer, if any, side effects like constipation and bingo it made a difference to her being more settled and then I read all the anecdotal stuff from others - so now I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

I would phone the memory clinic and tell them because they may well be able to adjust meds which may well make a big difference to you. Try it - I know it is an uphill struggle but.....it may be well worth it

keep posting we are all here to give you support whatever you decide xx

Amazing I thought cocodamol and paracetamol are the incredible. I will def try them.