My thoughts!

Maghi55

Jan 12, 2016
Just recently my dad (now 93) diagnosed with dementia in 2010 has had another few days of mini seizures which we presume was the cause of a fall in the bathroom banging & cutting his head, with bad bruising to his shoulder and face. Ironically a week later we've realised he has not had a fit since and even more so that the last period of mini seizures, May 2015, resulted in a fall breaking his collar bone after which the episodes also ceased! Is there an explanation for this?
Unfortunately the last set of seizures seems to have affected his continence, slowing his reaction to respond to the need to wee! Is it now time to introduce pads? This is such an unforgiving disease. What has he to live for? By choice he would 'sleep' have his eyes closed all day, even when eating! So, so sad, especially for my mom (nearly 92) who is so devoted to him after 70yrs of marriage but at her wits end now as to how to cope day to day......sorry but it does help to 'talk' :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP :)

His GP should be able to put you in touch with the continence nurse who will assess your dad.

Maghi55

Jan 12, 2016
Welcome to TP :)

His GP should be able to put you in touch with the continence nurse who will assess your dad.

Thanks. We've an assessment by a district nurse today, we will mention our continence concerns.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Maghi55
a warm welcome from me too

I'm glad the district nurse is visiting your dad, let her know all your concerns and everything you've noticed about your dad's situation so she can help as much as possible - sorry, an obvious thing to write

you say your mum is at her wit's end - do they have other support as well as you? - I mean carer visits during the day, maybe a cleaner, some day care for your dad; that sort of thing? If they have, maybe consider requesting more/more often - and if not mention this to the District Nurse and ask Adult Care for a re-assessment of your dad's care needs - as it would take some pressure off your mum
she's also eligible for a Carer's Assessment
I hope your dad has Attendance Allowance to help with finances

my dad often sits with his eyes closed, and does even eat with them closed - I think he just needs to block out the visual world sometimes as it just gets too much for him - my heart goes out to your mum as she must feel he's blocking her out too

I agree, such a sad experience all round, for us all - we do the best we can and take each day at a time

TP is a safe and sympathetic place to come to share - please do keep posting :)

best wishes

Maghi55

Jan 12, 2016
Hi Maghi55
a warm welcome from me too

I'm glad the district nurse is visiting your dad, let her know all your concerns and everything you've noticed about your dad's situation so she can help as much as possible - sorry, an obvious thing to write

you say your mum is at her wit's end - do they have other support as well as you? - I mean carer visits during the day, maybe a cleaner, some day care for your dad; that sort of thing? If they have, maybe consider requesting more/more often - and if not mention this to the District Nurse and ask Adult Care for a re-assessment of your dad's care needs - as it would take some pressure off your mum
she's also eligible for a Carer's Assessment
I hope your dad has Attendance Allowance to help with finances

my dad often sits with his eyes closed, and does even eat with them closed - I think he just needs to block out the visual world sometimes as it just gets too much for him - my heart goes out to your mum as she must feel he's blocking her out too

I agree, such a sad experience all round, for us all - we do the best we can and take each day at a time

TP is a safe and sympathetic place to come to share - please do keep posting :)

best wishes

Thanks, good visit with a very useful lady, Alison, from the local dementia team. Assessments & appointments rolling with social services, district nurses & doctors for neurology tests! Dad in fairly good spirits today. Taking mom out to shop & lunch tomorrow!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I'm really pleased that things seem to slotting into place for you all. Alison sounds like a treasure :)
So, dad pretty good today; you and mum set for a good day tomorrow - enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife