Ladies I need advice

Del24

Aug 17, 2014
Hertfordshire
As I have put on my earlier blog my wife is suffering from UTI and garden bird"
The GP gave us antibiotics for the UTI and antibiotic cream for bird.
The hospital consultant told us 3 years ago that due to things being out of place and that nothing could be done then we would have a reoccurring problem and we have a monthly specia antibiotic pill.
We have to use Tena pants day and night we get them free and I have started to apply a thin film of Vaseline in the pant pad to avoid sticking.
Any advice will be welcome.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Ok - if she has a yeast infection what she should be being treated with is an antifungal cream or pessaries. What does it say on the tube? I'm also wondering if the the monthly pill is fluconazole? Because that's an oral fungicide. And are you asking if using vaseline could be doing any harm? Because my feeling is it might be if by using it, the area is staying damper than it otherwise would. Also, if you are applying the correct amount of the cream, I wouldn't think the pad sticking would be an issue.

The problem you are going to have is: antibiotics (oral) can make yeast infections worse as they kill off the good bacteria and let the yeast thrive.

Last edited:

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I am sorry to say that I find it hard to understand your posts, even though I appreciate that you are embarrassed by going into intimate details. I think you are very brave to ask these questions in order to provide the best personal care for your wife. If it is too embarrassing to use a word, there are usually understandable alternatives. I suggest yeast infection, or Candida, rather than 'garden bird'.

I think you are describing a problem whereby your wife is experiencing a sticky discharge caused by the thrush, which then makes her incontinence pants stick to her body hair? Ouch! :eek: And/or, due to vaginal prolapse, some of her naturally lubricated internal mucous membrane is protruding and making contact with the pad?

See, I am just a woman not a lady, and can therefore describe in graphic terms that garden implement upon which a different garden bird is known to perch. Call a spade a spade, in other words. :eek:

I don't think it is a good idea to use sticky barrier creams such as Vaseline, Sudocrem etc. because they provide a growing medium for bugs. When a person is using incontinence products, air does not get to their intimate areas the way it would if they were only wearing cotton underwear. With these heavy creams, germs get trapped against the skin so that UTIs and skin infections are actually more like to happen.

I recommend regular cleansing of the perineum and vulva (technical names for downstairs outside lady parts). You can get unperfumed non-oily baby wipes, or gauze squares which can be wetted with warm water. After cleansing with a wet wipe, dab the area gently with a dry gauze pad. Cleansing away the discharge after every toilet visit or pad change will make her more comfortable and less likely to experience pad cling.

Your GP surgery should be able to refer you to the practice nurse, or the incontinence nurse, who can advise further and may be able to prescribe things such as gauze pads and disposable gloves without you having to pay for them.

Did the consultant discuss the possibility of using a ring pessary for prolapse? This is a rubber or silicone ring that is inserted by a doctor or nurse, and stays in place for 4-6 months. It does the job that muscles used to do and keeps various female lower organs in their right positions, and reduces pressure on the bladder. This might not be appropriate to your wife's situation, but if it hasn't been mentioned to you then it is worth asking about it.

Last edited:

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
What a wonderful, informative post from Katrine! If there was an icon for a round of applause, I would use it! And I agree, full marks to Del24 for wanting to provide the best possible personal care for his wife. A round of applause for you too. :)

Del24

Aug 17, 2014
Hertfordshire
Thank you Katrine for your advice it is most appreciated.
As regards the ring the consultant said it was not suitable nor an operation due to age and health.
I always use other words when discussing medical terms etc in front of my wife so as not to worry her.
And her illness is put down to memory problems and she is happy with that.
We have other areas to keep an eye on such as under tummy can get sore and under blosums but that is easier to control.
It's hard for me a man to do all these things.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
You are doing a great job. It is hard when you have a very different undercarriage and plumbing equipment! :D

My MIL has had pessary rings for some years. Due to her dementia she does not remember this, nor understand what it is. The GP inserts a new one twice a year. The procedure is non-painful (but undignified) and only takes a minute to complete. As soon as she is off the couch she has completely forgotten about it. Occasionally a ring has later got dislodged and needed to be put back by the doctor.

I am sure the consultant has given you good advice for medical reasons, but if if is just because of potential upset to your wife I suspect she wouldn't really notice the procedure. You could just say it's a check up and not go into detail. The ring is made of a firm rubber/silicone and is just tucked up into position. The wearer cannot feel it. For women who need them there is instant relief from the discomfort of things not being in their proper place.

Last edited:

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
You are doing a great job. It is hard when you have a very different undercarriage and plumbing equipment! :D

My MIL has had pessary rings for some years. Due to her dementia she does not remember this, nor understand what it is. The GP inserts a new one twice a year. The procedure is non-painful (but undignified) and only takes a minute to complete. As soon as she is off the couch she has completely forgotten about it. Occasionally a ring has later got dislodged and needed to be put back by the doctor.

I am sure the consultant has given you good advice for medical reasons, but if if is just because of potential upset to your wife I suspect she wouldn't really notice the procedure. You could just say it's a check up and not go into detail. The ring is made of a firm rubber/silicone and is just tucked up into position. The wearer cannot feel it. For women who need them there is instant relief from the discomfort of things not being in their proper place.

I hope this anecdote won't offend, but my MIL (mid-stages AD) had a silicone ring fitted, then a few weeks later it fell out. She displayed it on her mantelpiece for a while, explaining to curious visitors that it came out of her mouth! Most male visitors were none the wiser, but the female visitors exchanged knowing glances...:eek:

theoh

Nov 11, 2015
as always great advice and ideas on this forum.

my input is the yeast infection will be most uncomfortable for your wife and will encourage itching so do be cautious in case she hurts herself itching.

the other point is if she is on regular antibiotics as one of the other posters noted this will cause the yeast infection. Talk to the Dr about some Probiotic pills (the good ones not the yoghurts) which she can take daily. This helps keep the good stomach bacteria going to beat the yeast issues.

a cool soak down under also eases the discomfort as does "fresh air" when possible. The pads will not help but certainly avoid tights and tight fitting trousers.

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Under tummy: once washed and thoroughly dried, put a folded strip of cotton- old folded hanky will do to soak up sweat and keep skin folds apart. Find weight of tummy keeps hanky in place. Folded dry wipe /gauze also good and can be whizzed after.
Under breasts -once infection cleared- once washed and dried - I find baby powder helps-assuming bra worn. If no bra, then I guess tummy treatment with cotton skin separator would help.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I hope this anecdote won't offend, but my MIL (mid-stages AD) had a silicone ring fitted, then a few weeks later it fell out. She displayed it on her mantelpiece for a while, explaining to curious visitors that it came out of her mouth! Most male visitors were none the wiser, but the female visitors exchanged knowing glances...:eek:

We have a similar story, but I'm not going to share it! :D

Del24

Aug 17, 2014
Hertfordshire
those devices were tried but caused so much distress they were abandoned due to plumbing not right.
I have stopped using the Vaseline but applied extra antibiotic all cream.
I douche twice a day.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I used to suffer thrush quite severely and found that regular applications of Natural youghurt to the affected area most soothing. With regards to the tummy skin folds or the under-boob area, I believe that a gentle wash and thorough( but again gentle) drying of the area followed by a light dusting of Talcum Powder keeps the area sweat free and comfortable. If necessary a small dab of Canesten 2% thrush cream works wonders too and may be bought over the counter. They other thing is that if you stop treating the afflicted areas too soon the fungus will return.
Sadly, the use of antibiotics can cause the reduction of healthy bacteria and the increase of yeast fungii....hence the increase of Thrush. Your local Health Food store will be able to recommend a suitable Probiotic supplement.

ps....modesty is a nice fault to have, but you can always call the afflicted area your OH's Lady Bits if you don't want to give them a Biological Name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR