advice needed on home help/care costs

Ellie100

Jan 4, 2016
Hello
I wasn’t sure where to post this message. I hope this is the right place.

My father in law, David, has dementia and the family are struggling to deal with the situation. My husband seems to be sticking his head in the sand and hoping it will all go away…I don’t mean that in a nasty way…..it’s just his way of dealing with it I think. My husband’s sister is also having to look after her husband who has advanced stages of lung cancer and my husband’s mum is an elderly lady herself and is managing the best she can. David spent most of Christmas day sat on the stairs at home trying on various shoes…taking them off…putting them back on…repeat. He did not want to be moved and got very upset when we tried to move him. Each time we see him he seems to be getting worse to the point I do sometimes think he really does not know who we are. I just need some help to understand what the options are in relation to home care. Currently I think they get a couple of hours once a week. That was all they were told they could have. Do you think this could be reassessed now he has worsened? Also does anyone have any experience of what are the hourly rates would be if the family decided to club together and pay for some home care/help privately?

Thank you for any advice you can give.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Unfortunately, costs for LA funded and private care can vary hugely throughout the UK. I think first you should ask for another needs and carers assessment and make it clear what it is you are after: carers, befrienders, day care and/or respite? They cannot just fob you of, the right to a carers assessment is enshrined in law. I would also contact your local Alzheimer's Society, Age UK and the Carers Centre for options, support and advocacy. If you get no joy, Social Services should be able to give you a list of care agencies. I would check them out thoroughly and not simply pick the cheapest though.

With regards to David's behaviour, as long as it's harmless and he finds joy in trying on shoes, I would just let him be.

Best of luck.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Ellie50

I pay £15.50 an hour for home help via Age UK. Hope it helps

Best wishes
Sue:)

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
If your FIL's needs have increased then the new assessed care package should be funded either from his income, or if his income and savings are below the threshold by the LA. Do you know if there been any financial assessment already?

It should not be necessary for any other family members to fund his care needs, including your MIL.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
If your FIL's needs have increased then the new assessed care package should be funded either from his income, or if his income and savings are below the threshold by the LA. Do you know if there been any financial assessment already?

It should not be necessary for any other family members to fund his care needs, including your MIL.

I totally agree with Pickles but depends where you are in the country how well and or quickly things are dealt with.

Ellie100

Jan 4, 2016

Thank you for your reply. No I don't think they have been financially accessed yet. How do I find out what the LA threshold is? Are they set amounts?

Ellie100

Jan 4, 2016
I totally agree with Pickles but depends where you are in the country how well and or quickly things are dealt with.

Thank you for your reply. They are in Hertfordshire... Is that good or bad I wonder??!!

Ellie100

Jan 4, 2016
Thank you for your reply. No I don't think they have been financially accessed yet. How do I find out what the LA threshold is? Are they set amounts?

Sorry what I meant to ask is does the savings threshold they mention mean cash in the bank or the house they live in too?

Jonny1

Account on hold
Apr 9, 2015
Nantwich, Cheshire
Hi - I've tried 2 different private care companies in the last year. I started off with one that was about £10ph - can't see how that do it for that price given the minimum wage etc. But I found that the carers were not staying very long as:
1) They weren't paid for travelling and their patch was quite large
2) Mum always says that there is nothing to do even though there could be lots for them to do

Mum ended up with many different care visitors from them and didn't like this.

The next company who we still use now charge £18ph. I learnt from last time and chose a smaller local company - we have figured a rota so that there are only 5 or so carers that come out. We have booked longer sessions - they stay for the whole time and have enough time to take mum out in the car or her wheelchair 3 times a week - which has really improved her outlook.

I hope you find a company that works for you

Beate

May 21, 2014
London

It's more about your FIL's financial threshold. If he has over £23,250 he will be classed as self-funding. Under £14,500 the state should fund him. Obviously it all depends on what services his borough has and how much they cost. There is usually an LA rate for care homes which you can ask them for.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org....thority-funding-for-care-costs-do-you-qualify

Also, make sure he receives all the allowances he is entitled to, like Attendance Allowance.
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org....thority-funding-for-care-costs-do-you-qualify

Last edited:

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
It's more about your FIL's financial threshold. If he has over £23,250 he will be classed as self-funding. Under £14,500 the state should fund him. Obviously it all depends on what services his borough has and how much they cost. There is usually an LA rate for care homes which you can ask them for.

Also, make sure he receives all the allowances he is entitled to, like Attendance Allowance.

And MIL may also be eligible for Carer's allowance.

The value of the house is excluded as long as FIL or MIL are living in it.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...my husband’s mum is an elderly lady herself and is managing the best she can..."

Care of a non personal nature can be provided free for her husband if this care helps her get on with her own life. The care could be providing somebody to sit with her husband while she did her shopping or even going to see friends. The care is provided to help her and is based on an assessment of her needs as distinct from those of her husband.

"It may be that the best way to meet a carer's needs is to provide care and support directly to the person they care for – for example, by providing replacement care to allow someone to take a break from caring. It's possible to do this as long as the person needing care agrees...

Charging and financial assessment for carers

In most cases, local authorities don't charge for providing support to carers, in recognition of the valuable contribution carers make to their local community. But this is something the local authority can decide."

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/pages/carers-rights-care-act-2014.aspx