Hospital discharge

wentworth11

Jan 3, 2016
Hi I wonder if anyone can advise me. My mother has alzheimer's and still has a good level of understanding with regards to what is happening to her at that present moment, although she will have forgotten 5 minutes later. She has been admitted to hospital following a fall, but has no breaks, she is not able to climb the stairs and so the hospital would not allow her to go home with my father. The hospital decided last night to discharge her into a care home where the hospital had spot purchased a bed. This move is supposed to enable the local authority to send in Physio to assist in her rehabilitation. Because she has reasonable comprehension of where she is, she was very distressed to find herself in home where the patients have very advanced dementia. We had no say at all with regards to the choice of care home and because the hospital are funding it under rehabilitation I don't know if I can move her. We were advised 2 weeks ago by her Social Worker that unless she agreed to go into a care home of our choice to give my father some respite, then we could not force her, it appears ironic then that the NHS can and into an unsuitable care home too. Can anyone advise please.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
This is basically a reablement plan - the equivalent of rehab or convalescence, so its not like a permanent place that she would need to agree to move into. Think of it more like an extension of hospital where she can get physio and be assessed to see what help she would need at home. Lots of dementia homes have rehab wings or beds, but I dont know if she could be moved. You may find that all the homes that do this are very similar.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Perhaps the way to present it is "Mum you need physiotherapy to get you better and let you go home; it's easier for the NHS to provide you with physiotherapy here than anywhere else. We know it's not the right place for you ... but it won't be for long, we'll visit as often as we can and getting the physio now is important".

Your Mum may remember that patients often get stuck in the wrong wards for a bit if there are no spaces on the wards better suited to their condition ... and feel comforted.

rageineden

Dec 14, 2015
Hi I wonder if anyone can advise me. My mother has alzheimer's and still has a good level of understanding with regards to what is happening to her at that present moment, although she will have forgotten 5 minutes later. She has been admitted to hospital following a fall, but has no breaks, she is not able to climb the stairs and so the hospital would not allow her to go home with my father. The hospital decided last night to discharge her into a care home where the hospital had spot purchased a bed. This move is supposed to enable the local authority to send in Physio to assist in her rehabilitation. Because she has reasonable comprehension of where she is, she was very distressed to find herself in home where the patients have very advanced dementia. We had no say at all with regards to the choice of care home and because the hospital are funding it under rehabilitation I don't know if I can move her. We were advised 2 weeks ago by her Social Worker that unless she agreed to go into a care home of our choice to give my father some respite, then we could not force her, it appears ironic then that the NHS can and into an unsuitable care home too. Can anyone advise please.

We had something similar happen with our relative even though we objected as powers of attorney. They gave us the line about physio care as well. Once at the home we were told this service was not provided and the NHS knew this. It was just to free up the bed in the ward. As it happened within two weeks our relative was admitted twice back into hospital with severe dehydration due to neglect at the home.

The only advice i can give is go to the chief nurses office at the hospital and make a nuisance of yourself and complain that the home is not suitable for the needs of your relative. If you don't get any joy from this bring them back into A&E (our social worker told us to do this) as a failed discharge. This flags you as a priority in the intake system and gets you on a ward quicker. It also flags on their system as they are scored negatively for this internally and with the local CCG.

Also complain to the social worker about this and ask them to get involved. Unfortunately in our experience it is he who shouts loudest and complains the most gets something done. It's not easy when you are so close to the situation but it is the only way to get anything done.

Hope that helps in some way.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
We had something similar happen with our relative even though we objected as powers of attorney. They gave us the line about physio care as well. Once at the home we were told this service was not provided and the NHS knew this. It was just to free up the bed in the ward. As it happened within two weeks our relative was admitted twice back into hospital with severe dehydration due to neglect at the home.

The only advice i can give is go to the chief nurses office at the hospital and make a nuisance of yourself and complain that the home is not suitable for the needs of your relative. If you don't get any joy from this bring them back into A&E (our social worker told us to do this) as a failed discharge. This flags you as a priority in the intake system and gets you on a ward quicker. It also flags on their system as they are scored negatively for this internally and with the local CCG.

Also complain to the social worker about this and ask them to get involved. Unfortunately in our experience it is he who shouts loudest and complains the most gets something done. It's not easy when you are so close to the situation but it is the only way to get anything done.

Hope that helps in some way.

Wow, Im very sorry hear that rageintheden. If its a proper rehab bed/unit it should have physio as part of the deal.
My MIL ended up in a CH rehab bed after she fell and broke her spine. She got physio and OT assessment there and after 6 weeks was returned home with a care package.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Wow, Im very sorry hear that rageintheden. If its a proper rehab bed/unit it should have physio as part of the deal.
My MIL ended up in a CH rehab bed after she fell and broke her spine. She got physio and OT assessment there and after 6 weeks was returned home with a care package.
The old post code lottery again:mad: My Mom went into a rehab NH which was lovely. However OT and physio turned up once after 2 weeks and then on the final day of the 6 weeks. Mom remains in a NH.

In contrast a neighbouring authority have a purpose built facility with kitchens, bathrooms and lounges as you would in your own home.

Last edited:

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
We had no say at all with regards to the choice of care home and because the hospital are funding it under rehabilitation I don't know if I can move her. We were advised 2 weeks ago by her Social Worker that unless she agreed to go into a care home of our choice to give my father some respite, then we could not force her, it appears ironic then that the NHS can and into an unsuitable care home too. Can anyone advise please.
Rehabilitation has to be provided FREE by the State so if that is the only facility within the budget then unfortunately I think you are stuck unless you move your Mother at your expense to another CH or she goes home.

Sorry I cannot be more help.:(