Absorbent non slip floor mats and baby monitor-advice please.

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
Good morning carers!

Please offer me any advice you can. Dad (88, mixed dementia) has started to leave a trail of urine on the floor on route to the toilet at night :( I'm worried about slips, trips and falls. I have handrails up but I have visions of him sliding and slipping. Do any of you know of any particular matts I could purchase, something like a kylie sheet for the floor that I could wash and reuse?! Up until last Monday he was sleeping upstairs and the carpet absorbed everything. (Soda bic, white wine vinegar, rug doctor and vanish carpet cleaner all assisted with any smells!) :D I've been waiting for the opportunity to get him to move downstairs. The garage has been converted to a bedroom to facilitate him staying at home for as long as possible, all tiles and laminate waterproof flooring. He couldn't get out of bed on Monday due to back pain so I took my chances and so far all is well. However, I've been sleeping on a camp bed in the kitchen just in case he got disoriented. I now want to move back to my own room and was thinking of buying a video baby monitor so I could check on him without having to get out of bed myself unnecessarily to wipe the floor of urine puddles :eek::eek:

Many thanks for reading. X

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
You could go two ways, I suppose. Use kylie sheets, which are very absorbant, and put those strips on the back to stop them slipping. I think they are rubbery? Or even get a tube of that silicon stuff for making "slipper socks" - it's a sort of silicon stuff that you squeeze out like glue. You could put rows of that on the back, that would stop it slipping? You can even use silicon sealant. Or you can get a non slip rug sheet that goes between the rug and the floor. I did, when my late husband was still at home, make mats for the bathroom from the waterproof chair pads, which are prettier than the plain kylie sheets.

Another idea, maybe not quite so absorbant as the kylie sheets, but possibly easier to wash - in big pet supply places, you can buy pet bedding on hug rolls, by the meter. It's sort of fluffy rug stuff. Would that work? Would be a lot cheaper than kylie sheets!

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Video monitors are a God send. I have a by one and although hubs is now immobile it still means I don't have to check every single time he coughs.
As for the urine problem, the only suggestion is non slip poring such as vinyl. Anything you put down like rugs Tec is still going to slip.
I had all the carpet taken up and replaced with non slip vinyl which is still wonderful because it's better for wheels.
The other alternative is a urinal bottle. That worked for quite a while for us

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
For the bedside I bought a washable cotton rubber-backed rug. I bought it from the 'shop' part of a garden centre. I have only had to wash it once, due to a urine accident, but following the instructions I put it inside a large pillowcase and stitched that closed before machine washing it. (It felt a bit like preparing a burial at sea!)
It washes well, but dries quite slowly. But if your dad is leaving a trail, rather than a puddle in one place, this may not be the answer.
Would he use a urinal bottle, or a bucket?

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
I agree with bemused, get rid of the carpet and swap to a good quality vinyl floor covering. If you get a steam cleaner, it gets rid of the smells and keeps the floor hygienic. Steam cleaning makes the vinyl dry very quickly which is a plus :D

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
I would try turtle mats or a cheaper alternative which can be machine washed or washed outside and left on the line to dry. You could buy two or three runners and swop them over to wash.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I agree with bemused, get rid of the carpet and swap to a good quality vinyl floor covering. If you get a steam cleaner, it gets rid of the smells and keeps the floor hygienic. Steam cleaning makes the vinyl dry very quickly which is a plus :D

I believe Adcat's Dad is now in a new room with laminate/tiles?
But Adcat is concerned he may slip on the wet floor in the night.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I would try turtle mats or a cheaper alternative which can be machine washed or washed outside and left on the line to dry. You could buy two or three runners and swop them over to wash.

That's the sort of rug I was talking about. I suppose it depends how far the trail of urine extends, and thinking about it, mats etc could be more of a hazard than wetness, or he may even deliberately avoid the mats, as can happen with dementia.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I believe Adcat's Dad is now in a new room with laminate/tiles?
But Adcat is concerned he may slip on the wet floor in the night.

Mentioned specifically non slip vinyl sleepless. It really is as well. Liquid is forever getting spilt and the only one who slips is the dog!!
That's why we didn't have laminate flooring because it is slippery when wet.

GOG in Poole

Dec 31, 2015
Help needed in Poole.

We are at the end of our tether. Been caring for my dad for nearly 2 years, and me and my wife are mentally and physically exhausted. We have spoken to a couple of homes for a bit of respite care, but it seems that this would disorientate him and make him worse. So we are looking for a carer who has dementia experience, would ideally be female and would have social skills experience. A long shot but we need the help. Does anyone have any advice or phone numbers please. Poole, Dorset. Thanks.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
We are at the end of our tether. Been caring for my dad for nearly 2 years, and me and my wife are mentally and physically exhausted. We have spoken to a couple of homes for a bit of respite care, but it seems that this would disorientate him and make him worse. So we are looking for a carer who has dementia experience, would ideally be female and would have social skills experience. A long shot but we need the help. Does anyone have any advice or phone numbers please. Poole, Dorset. Thanks.

in my area it was called crossroads they do 72 hrs 3 time a year for respite in your home not tried them but looing into it for my MIL as we have important event to go to

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I have tried with some success rubber backed/non slip bath mats, easy to wash and dry but not in the dryer. My problem at times with dribble trail or even full on pee is what is collected on her feet and then with wet feet, getting back into bed, usually have to wait for the smell!!! Same with bath mats. I have decided to look at non slip vinyl flooring, when I can afford it!

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Mattress Pressure Sensor

When the social worker did the assessment for my mum, one of the things she suggested was a mattress sensor as mum was wandering at night and getting lost and very confused in the toilet! This was subsequently provided and I have found it really helpful. Before I wasn't really sleeping much as I was constantly listening out for her moving around the house (she's downstairs and I'm upstairs), but now I know that as long as the alarm unit (which I keep upstairs next to my bed) is silent, then mum is in bed. As soon as she lifts up off the bed, the alarm unit I have sounds and I'm able to get downstairs usually in time to meet her at the bedroom door and lead her to the loo. The company this was provided by is called Argenti.

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
Thanks so much for all your replies. I have purchased a 'marvel mat runner' from Dunelm. It's rubber backed and washable. It's certainly stuck to the floor and it will have its first test run tonight.
I'm still pondering the video baby monitor- too many choices to choose from.
I got some respite for 6 hours tomorrow so am looking forward to sleeping

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London

I found a carer through a private company and its the best thing ever so far. Dads at home in his own environment. The carer gives him enough space to keep him safe. He gets out walking everyday. I found social services useless to be quite frank.
I hope this helps. Take care and I hope you get the support you need for 2016

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi adcat. I have been using a baby monitor for my mum for 18months and wonder how I ever done without it. It's an absolute god send. I can walk about the house and even in the summer, I carried it outside while I pottered about in the garden in the evening . I also bought an alarm that sits on the floor so when my mum tries to get out of bed and puts her legs over the side it picks up the motion and sends a signal to the remote that I can carry about with me ( it's like a paging system) . If you wish any further details just let me know. Best wishes , Lou

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
Hi adcat. I have been using a baby monitor for my mum for 18months and wonder how I ever done without it. It's an absolute god send. I can walk about the house and even in the summer, I carried it outside while I pottered about in the garden in the evening . I also bought an alarm that sits on the floor so when my mum tries to get out of bed and puts her legs over the side it picks up the motion and sends a signal to the remote that I can carry about with me ( it's like a paging system) . If you wish any further details just let me know. Best wishes , Lou

Oh yes please -send me the details. I'd much rather purchase something tried and tested by someone in my position than root around trying to get time to read reviews.
Thanks so much :D

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Sorry for late reply adcat , I was getting you all the details and reference numbers .
Bedside motion sensor and pager
Product Code: TL-5102MP
Austinmedical.co.uk
£45.95 with free postage

Summer infant wide view digital video baby monitor
£99.99
From argos
Cat no 217/8497

Hope they suit . I have found them extremely useful . Best wishes and Happy New Year . X

relliot2014

Dec 28, 2015
We use an IP camera to keep an eye on Mum in law - from a distance - her son lives wit her but works long hours and we are 40 miles away (and I'm disabled too) so we can only make it over once/twice a week to keep an eye on her. She doesn't need the bed pad alarm yet (as we haven't got to night time wandering stage yet thankfully) and she's still continent. So we use the IP cameras to monitor the door (setting a motion alarm to let me know when someone comes in and out of the property). We have a camera in the living room too so we can phone her, remind her it's time to eat the lunch (which the son who lives with her prepares and leaves in the fridge) and we then watch to make sure she eats it and chat with her.

We also have her wearing a lifeline fall alarm pendant (which has a geo fence alarm on it - if she leaves the house and goes further than 100 metres, it sends an alarm to all three of us as her carers and we can track her location via GPS). I guess it depends what stage you are at with your loved one.

Mum in law has extremely short term memory now - she lost her husband to cancer in September and we just didn't have a clue how bad things were as her husband was fiercely independent and shielded us from everything. He was quite unapproachable if you offered help. So once he died, we had to find out what was wrong with her (only diagnosis confirmed in June this year) but she's unable to pick her own clothes, remember to show, wash her hair, and other personal care stuff plus she can't make her own meals etc. Short term memory is seconds if she is stressed and she gets locked into a repetitive loop. But with her son there in the morning/evening and us keeping an eye on her in the middle of the day, it's working - at the moment! I think it's great to use technology to help us to keep our loved ones independent, but cared for, safe and yet happy (as she can be) for as long as possible.

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
Sorry for late reply adcat , I was getting you all the details and reference numbers .
Bedside motion sensor and pager
Product Code: TL-5102MP
Austinmedical.co.uk
£45.95 with free postage

Summer infant wide view digital video baby monitor
£99.99
From argos
Cat no 217/8497

Hope they suit . I have found them extremely useful . Best wishes and Happy New Year . X

Thanks so much!