Questions

Concerned J

Jun 15, 2014
London
I took Mum to the doctors today as she so depressed that being with her is getting depressing!
The doctor didn't want to prescribe anything because of the Alz. I know that having Alz can be depressing but she is so down. Does anyone have any experience of depression with Alz (stupid question really)
The other thing that is getting her down is her toilet frequency. I've read on this forum of the many issues faced and I wonder if Mum has forgotten what comes naturally (literally). The GP & I were trying to get Mum to explain how often she goes and the consistency / amount etc but we might as well be talking jibberish. Mum couldn't tell us anything apart from how disgusting it is. Mum had a colonoscopy a month ago - everything is fine. GP gave her sample bottles for urine & stool but I'm not hopefully of Mum using them.
I also want to get her re-assessed - would this help. I know she doesn't like the patches - she keep putting on the wrong places ie forearms as "nobody told me what to do". If we've told her once .....
Not really expecting any life changing answers but for my sanity's sake I need to know it's not just me.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Go back to having young children, you've got to see it, to answer the Doctors questions!!!
Filling sample bottles, wear rubber gloves, and don't laugh!

Bod

doodle1

May 11, 2012
Is your mum on Citalopram? It's an anti depressant commonly used with Alzheimer's. It had a transformative effect on both my mum and dad . Xx GP can prescribe.

Concerned J

Jun 15, 2014
London
Mum isn't on any anti-depressants. I will certainly ask about Citalopram and see what GP says.
Thank you both for your replies

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi, it's not it's not a stupid question at all ! :)
Mum had Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia , she got very depressed and we tried
Quite a few anti depressants before we found one that helped .
It is well known that depression and Dementia often go together, the GP should be aware of this.
Mum first started on Citalopram as a previous poster has mentioned , I believe it is considered to be the best one for someone with Dementia but don't quote me on this :)
It had no side effects on mum but it just didn't help her.

My mum seemed to think that bodily functions were either rude or disgusting and being washed was a very rude thing to do to her.

It sounds likely that someone is going to have to help mum with those samples, best get some disposable gloves in.

I do t know if you have come across this old thread on here apologies if you have , it's a out compassionate communication with the memory impaired.
I must admit it is not easy to follow, it doesn't always work

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...ionate-Communication-with-the-Memory-Impaired

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife