My dads gone

claire43

Jul 11, 2013
South Wales
My poor dad finally stopped fighting and died 3 hours ago. Not sure how I feel. Sad obviously but also relieved hes not struggling and suffering any more. Is this normal?

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Oh claire am so sorry you have lost your beloved dad, the feeling of loss and knowing he is now at peace may take some time to hit home, may you have good memories of him when he was well and they will give you strength in the days to come.
God bless you and dad
Chris x

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
Whatever you're feeling is normal, Claire. Remember to think of yourself whilst you're caring for other people. Thinking of you x

Deputypink

Aug 4, 2013
My poor dad finally stopped fighting and died 3 hours ago. Not sure how I feel. Sad obviously but also relieved hes not struggling and suffering any more. Is this normal?

There is no normal - it is what is good for you ! My Dad died last Monday and I have felt periods of complete relief and then overwhelmed at life without him . I can definitely sympathise with you . Sending you virtual support !

Last edited:

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
So sorry for your loss Claire but relieved that your poor dad is now at peace. Watching his struggle must have been so very hard for you. Wishing you strength as you grieve and hoping that memories of happier times you spent with him will gradually replace the sad memories of his last days. Take care.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
So sorry for your loss. My Condolences to you and your family.
All emotions including numbness are normal when you are grieving , so please try not to worry about the way you feel at anytime, it's just the way you need to be at that time.

XXX

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Sending my condolences, and wishing you comfort in your loss. That your dad's peace should be your peace is perfectly natural, and any way you feel is normal.

Kristivazq

Jun 6, 2015
I am so very sorry

I am so very sorry Claire. I know how you feel. Although I have to say that the relief that he is no longer suffering has been overshadowed by the sorrow of his loss both in death and the loss of him to Alzheimer's disease. I wish you peace, comfort and strength in these awful days ahead.

Kristi

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
So sorry claire. The worry of how he is may be gone but you now have time to remember him as he was. My dad died after a long hard battle with cancer. I struggled for months to get those last weeks out of my head. I had nightmares and flashbacks. A friend gave me wonderful advice. To get a great photo of dad when he looked very happy and look at that every morning and every night. It took months but now when i imagine him i see that photo. You have been through a lot. You dont need to be brave anymore. Be kind to yourself. What ever you feel is ok for you. Sending you a big hug for strength. Love quilty.

Vickyvlr

Dec 28, 2015
Hi, I lost my grandfather last Monday evening and I can totally relate to how you feel. I almost feel guilty for being so happy that he has left us now.... but I am happy that he is free of his disease and the torment it brought him xxx

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Hi, I lost my grandfather last Monday evening and I can totally relate to how you feel. I almost feel guilty for being so happy that he has left us now.... but I am happy that he is free of his disease and the torment it brought him xxx

Welcome to TP :)
I'm so sorry about your grandad.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mshaw6