Like a mini coma

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
My Mom is sleeping a lot and goes into such a deep sleep its like a mini coma. You can call her name, tap her, shake her (not roughly) and she does not wake up. Also she leans forward when she goes into this sleep and is now not swallowing her last mouthful of food or drink, therefore it all pours out of her mouth. She will suddenly wake up and look around, give us a smile and goes again. Very distressing to watch. Two carers are going to give her a spa bath tomorrow and give her a bit of a pamper. Just hope she stays awake to enjoy this. :eek:

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Your Mum sounds as though she is very peaceful, particularly with that beautiful smile she is giving you :)
It sounds to me as though she really just wants to know that you are there but that she wants to be calm and peaceful (as the Buddhists say Be Happy, Be Peaceful). I think it is wonderful that she is so calm - perhaps by not swallowing she is indicating that she doesn't want this. Sometimes people are just more comfortable knowing people who love them are around them but not wanting or needing them to do anything. I stopped anyone bathing my mum when she was like this as she found it stressful we just massaged her hands and talked to her softly and gently reminding her of all the happy times we had spent together.

Take care, I do hope you are not finding it too distressing as your Mum sounds as though she is not at all distressed. xxx keep posting xx

Misstep

Oct 7, 2015
South Wales
Best wishes

I can't offer any advice about this, apart from to support the view that there may be comfort for you in knowing she isn't distressed herself. I did just want to send you a hug though.

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area
My Mom is sleeping a lot and goes into such a deep sleep its like a mini coma. You can call her name, tap her, shake her (not roughly) and she does not wake up. Also she leans forward when she goes into this sleep and is now not swallowing her last mouthful of food or drink, therefore it all pours out of her mouth. She will suddenly wake up and look around, give us a smile and goes again. Very distressing to watch. Two carers are going to give her a spa bath tomorrow and give her a bit of a pamper. Just hope she stays awake to enjoy this. :eek:

Have you spoken to GP about this ? That would be my first port of call , since this isn't normal, unless the doctor confirms it is....

We had similar and after parent was checked for UTI, stroke, blood test etc, we concluded it may be medications. I saw that. A t op expert on a US alzheimers site said always consider meds as a cause.

So we have with agreement of GP stopped rispiridone. Then we are being careful over the dose of Trazadone which my parent has for sleeplessness. But also I asked CPN about using coffee. We tried it yesterday and it worked a treat. Obviously we are watching carefully.

Also we are keeping parent engaged since we think that they sleep when they find it difficult to join in the conversation so we increased the "one to one " interaction.

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Our last two visits have been awful. Mom has been asleep the whole time we have been there, and in such a deep sleep that she could not be woken up. Worried that when she goes into this deep sleep one of these times she may not wake up. Its awful sitting watching her, she leans forward and dribbles. If she knew it would break her heart. I know its breaking mine. :(

Resh J

Dec 23, 2015
My Mom is sleeping a lot and goes into such a deep sleep its like a mini coma. You can call her name, tap her, shake her (not roughly) and she does not wake up.

Hi Wendy, my Dad was exactly the same after his recent return from hospital. Exactly as you say, couldn't be woken at all. He became extremely rigid and we could not get him to open his eyes. However, he was really jolly when he finally woke up and told us he'd had a wonderful dream!

Have you managed to find out what triggered the deep sleep with your mum? I wish you well and hope your Mum is doing as well as possible. xx

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Hi Wendy, my Dad was exactly the same after his recent return from hospital. Exactly as you say, couldn't be woken at all. He became extremely rigid and we could not get him to open his eyes. However, he was really jolly when he finally woke up and told us he'd had a wonderful dream!

Have you managed to find out what triggered the deep sleep with your mum? I wish you well and hope your Mum is doing as well as possible. xx

Welcome to TP :)

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Hi Thank you for your response and its nice to know we are not on our own with this terrible disease.
I asked at the home and they say it is all part of the illness, going into a very deep sleep. We went to see her yesterday and she was in her wheelchair and was in one of these sleeps and looked so uncomfortable. I asked them to hoist her into a comfy chair which they did and she did not wake up. Even with being hoisted and moved from wheelchair to normal chair. Im just worried in case one of these days she does not wake up at all. But then in another way it would be a blessing. xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet