Incontinence bed-sheets?

Ashesinthewind

May 30, 2015
Hi.

I'm due to take a relative on holiday for Xmas. I really need to find a waterproof double sheet to avoid the bed mattress being soiled.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to get one. Also I take it they are machine washable and reusable?

Thanks.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello.
Their are various companies that sell such products.
I found this one.
http://www.completecareshop.co.uk/beds-and-bedding/

if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you will find a range of their products
personally I would use two types of bed protection as their could be some leakage, one that goes directly over the mattress that can be wiped clean and some that go over the bottom sheet, I would think you would need a minimum of two of the latter to ensure you have at least one is dry and read for use.

I haven't checked ( I used disposable ones for mum) but if the pads come in different absorbencies , I suggest going for the higher one.

Last edited:

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I recently got some which are washable, can be tumble dried on cool and for me the best ones were like bed pads with wings. These are called brolly sheets.
Tre

Ashesinthewind

May 30, 2015
Thanks.

How bulky are those 'mattress protectors" - it's hard to tell from the pictures.

The one's I looked at on the Argos website for example looked a couple of inches thick I'm just thinking about getting 2 double ones in a suitcase with the rest of the stuff.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I used the washable bed pads from the Complete Care Shop (someone posted the link above) . I found them brilliant. Never had anything leak through. I used the double size, but put it lengthways under my husband, I found it worked better that way, as he was very mobile.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Will you have access to a washing machine? The bed pads take quite a while to dry.
I used to take a washable one, but use disposables on top of that.
And be sure your relative wears good absorbency continence pads or pants.

Ashesinthewind

May 30, 2015
I have to make a decision soon. I really need one that fits like a sheet over the matress to avoid it ending up on the floor (like perhaps a pad would) Which ones would people recommend? I plan on buying 2 or 3....as I plan on putting one on the sofa too as a precaution. The one at home has already been ruined due to previous 'accident'. Thanks.

Last edited:

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I have to make a decision soon. I really need one that fits like a sheet over the matress to avoid it ending up on the floor (like perhaps a pad would) Which ones would people recommend? I plan on buying 2 or 3....as I plan on putting one on the sofa too as a precaution. The one at home has already been ruined due to previous 'accident'. Thanks.

I don't think you can buy an actual sheet which is waterproof. Kylie 'sheets' are quilted thin pads, but they are quite bulky for packing, and take time to dry.
I use a double-bed sized Kylie on a sofa and that is really bulky.
You could use a waterproof mattress cover, with a soft towelling finish, but these too take a long time to dry if you had to wash it.
They are less bulky when folded.
The last holiday we had, quite a lot of packing space was taken up by incontinence products. You may also need to consider protecting the carpet by the bed if there is one. It all depends on the degree of incontinence.

Last edited:

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
I've got thin quilted fitted waterproof mattress covers on our family's beds, just standard ones from M&S, which are good for the odd accident and aren't too much bulkier than a sheet. But they are a bit more fuss to wash and I try to avoid tumble drying them, so in your sitution I think I would use them as an undersheet and take something more washable to put on top.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
A good online shop for all incontinence products is

www.incontinencechoice.co.uk/

You might be as well buying some disposable bedpads in the largest size available, and hope that any leaks are contained on one of those, on top of a waterproof mattress cover.
Incontinence management is not easy away from home, but the best of luck.

Ashesinthewind

May 30, 2015
Yes they are washable. Just one of many sites you can get them is

/Silentnight-Waterproof-Mattress-Protector-Double/dp/B006DDGCXW[/url]

How about this one as first posted. I need next day delivery so can't use some sites as they often give vague delivery dates such as 1-5 days.

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
At this time of year it is possible that, even with both you and the company doing everything correctly, next day delivery might slip by a day :(

If you are flying does the airline know that one of the party has some degree of "illness/disability"? It is possible that you might be granted some extra baggage allowance because of that which would help - worth a check anyway. If not it might be worth paying for some extra baggage - it would take the stress away from trying to get everything to fit.

Good luck and I hope you all enjoy the holiday.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi. At my local chemist they sell thin plastic wipe clean mattress protectors that are fitted. They're not robust but something similar may be suitable for short term use.
You will still need pads to go on the bottom sheet

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Another point - make sure the incontinence pads/pants are fitting snugly. They work better if they are quite firmly fitted, almost looking a bit tight.
The special mesh or stretch pants to hold them in place firmly are worth getting.

Ashesinthewind

May 30, 2015
Another point - make sure the incontinence pads/pants are fitting snugly. They work better if they are quite firmly fitted, almost looking a bit tight.
The special mesh or stretch pants to hold them in place firmly are worth getting.

tena-pants-normal-medium-18-pieces.jpg

The exact ones I get are those^. Though I must admit that even I have trouble trying to work out which is the front and which is the back....and I still don't know.

As we haven't 'used' any others I'm not sure how they compare.

Last edited:

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
Have you got a shop locally that sells mobility items/products for the disabled? You might be able to get incontinence sheets there? I've also found that the chemist closest to my local hospital has a huge array of items in comparison to other chemists. Maybe this is typical of other chemists in close proximity to hospitals?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Re the 'normal' pants Ashes mentions above, the key point surely is whether they mostly do the job with the occasional leak or don't. You can check the claimed absorbency on the manufacturers' site. They do make pans which are more absorbent than these.

Sarah4uk

Dec 17, 2015
I use incontinencechoice too, and have kylies with wings, that stay put; they're only about 5mm thick, I think it was the age concern ones I got.
I've also found they're great at making sure any pads you buy actually fit well.
Luckily I live near to the shop, but they've been good with samples, and let me bring back an unopened packet of pads when a sample fit better.