The cold is getting to be a nightmare.

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
My OH is feeling the cold so badly now it's causing major problems. He is constantly cold and the more I put up the heating the more he complains. His hands are cold and he wears lots of layers of clothes. Last night I'm sitting in a t shirt feeling sick with the heat and he goes berserk because he says I've turned the heating off. It was 10 o'clock and the thermostat must have turned it off. Just another thing to deal with but I wondered if this is common in dementia patients or is connected to his previous cancer.
The national grid will be short of power as we have used so much. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
My OH is feeling the cold so badly now it's causing major problems. He is constantly cold and the more I put up the heating the more he complains. His hands are cold and he wears lots of layers of clothes. Last night I'm sitting in a t shirt feeling sick with the heat and he goes berserk because he says I've turned the heating off. It was 10 o'clock and the thermostat must have turned it off. Just another thing to deal with but I wondered if this is common in dementia patients or is connected to his previous cancer.

:)If it's any consolation, I have exactly the same problem with Mrs. M; but she always suffered from the cold even before AZ kicked in.
keep smiling,
malomm

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Oh yes I remember it well! My husband also wanted the heat higher and higher. I often had to go out in the freezing weather just to get a breather.

I wrapped my husband in a blanket often just to hold the heat for him. I remember earlier threads on the same lines so I feel it is fairly common in dementia; also older people seem to feel the cold more I suppose because of less activity.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband was the same.

I remember us sitting in the garden during a heatwave and he insisted on wearing a fleece and having a blanket wrapped round his legs.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
My mum was freezing whilst dad n I were boiling . we had the thermostat turned up so the rooms were around 82.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I had same problem with mum last winter and the heating was on right through to July, but so far she has not said anything so heating has gone back to twice a day, although her hands always seem to be cold, but she has suddenly started to wear her gloves inside. I have dug out a lot more woollen and cotton clothes for her, so hopefully that is helping and open fire now set to light at mid day.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
My wee buddy is feeling the cold no matter how I try to get the thermostat up to a level where it is a bit much for me. I thought it was just her.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
It would only help if he is sitting and staying put most of the time, but how about one of those heat pad things - a bit like a mini electric blanket - that are sold for aches and pains?

Having said that, I am all too aware that when it comes to dementia, very often it doesn't much matter what you do or try...

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk

The first five years were like this, but since we had more loft insulation tucked in, I've now got the central heating at a low level, hubby has never complained, and never again wrapped the dial round the clock to 30 degrees C like he used to.

Our lagging is so good, the place is now never cold like it used to be. My feet and hands should be white with cold, these days, as I have that Reynaud's thing. It's always been bad. We're a third of the way through December and I've never had a pinch of it yet.

Any chance you could get a check through the Warm Home Front government thingy, Angie? They might help with this.

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
I tried the to go to buy an electric throw as I thought it was a great idea as he could also use it in Spain at night when it is chilly. Started to look an d he announces he doesn't want anything as not to have the usual tantrums I said ok forget it and took him to wether spoons for lunch instead.
I must be learning something as no tantrums yet today. But if he complains he is cold tonight I might just throw a tiny tantrum.

Alibalibee

Dec 14, 2015

My mum really feels the cold, I've resorted to buying heat pads from the chemist to stick on her otherwise she wouldn't cope being outside in the winter. Some can be applied direct to the skin and can last 6 or so hours. It never got about 1 degree yesterday and we managed out for a walk without my mum even mentioning the cold!

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello angiebails
My hubby is in a CH it must be 80 degrees so hot for me, hubby has 2 long sleeve vest on, a shirt, a jumper, and also a jacket, he is not cold, but when he was at home he was alwzys cold, l do think when they are sitting around they feel the cold.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Not strictly dementia related, but I read this years ago and always remembered it

Some people in winter are prone to freeze,
While others sweat and smother.
And by some tricky quirk of fate
They marry one another!

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I don't know if this is any use at all but as well as blankets etc we used wheat bags - warmed in the microwave - one by side of legs or under the knees if it is comfy enough, one to hold and one at the back like a cushion. My ma found them very comfy and they definitely helped her freezing zones.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent

I have the same problem with dad no matter what the season he is always cold even with the heating on.. I put him a body warmer on over the top of his many layers and wrap a blanket round his legs.. But he still says he's cold.. I've got him some fleece pull on trousers for Christmas so I'm hoping that they will help.. Best wishes exhausted 2015 xx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Always feeling cold?

Tip - check the sealant round the double glazing.... If you have it

Our "man who can" identified that the sealant wasn't doing its job and resealed round the Windows

1J who has neurological problems, hence always feels cold and draughts, has noticed the house feels warmer

There again.... Mum in care home always has cold hands, feet, legs, despite the toasty heat there..... I often have to put a cardigan or body warmer on her to warm her up as carers, brilliant people by the way, dress her warmly but not warm enough for mum

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Mum is always cold. Most of the time she has 2 or 3 layers of clothing. She has lost almost 25 kilos in 18 months