So bizarre !

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Ann, so sorry it was another pretty rubbish day with Mil, so hard that the capacity for empathy has gone because it also removes the ability for her to receive sympathy effectively :( really hope the bed/sleeping situation settles down very soon because that is a nightmare to deal with.

Anne, well like others have already said words fail me! I will write more on your own thread. On here I shall just say :mad:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Flying round this morning and getting nowhere fast, but just wanted to say that I've just published a blog and then come on here and read Chaucers posts - talk about coincidence. I don't usually post direct links, but this time, I think Anne's situation and Chaucers post are so relevant, that I'm going to do it. Will catch up with you all again later!

https://notjustforgetful.wordpress.com/2015/12/14/thisis-dementia/

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Wonderful blog Ann, says it as it really is, and that is what the AS should be doing instead these ridiculous fantasy scenarios - the 'we went to Africa anyway' tag as you quote :mad: I think that last photo of Mil says it all really - that should be the 'face' of the AS....

Wonder if anybody from there will actually read any of this...... :(

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Essie, we both (OH and I) tried to get through to her whilst she was being so 'lucid'. But the bottom line for Mil is that no matter that its not our fault, she feels that she is perfectly justified to behave badly when she can't have what she wants and insisted that 'anyone else' in her situation would do exactly the same. And yes, she acknowledged that she has a lot of health issues and a 'bad memory' and needs help. And that those things are not our fault - but her not liking it seems to 'trump' any other consideration in her head. As OH said, its all about 'her' in her mind - she doesn't have the capacity to really empathise or consider anyones needs and wishes, but her own.

Yes, it is so sad - and frustrating, but it seems that eventually everything gets reduced down to what they like/dont like and what they want/dont want and everything else is just stripped away. The idea that something is just not possible is beyond their comprehension.

My heart goes out to everyone on here having problems

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Ann, have shared your blog on FB - excellently written as always - and merits sharing wider so that people can see past the media saccharin.

Hugs, hope there are more positives in your day today xx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Oh Ann! What you wrote on your Blog was so similar to my experience as a Carer. 'Contented Dementia' passed us by:( I suspect it doesn't knock on many doors- despite some media coverage that portrays elderly sufferers as 'only' being slightly forgetful.

Your Blog shows what Dementia can be like-warts and all. Your writing is a world away from the image of 'Contented Dementia' that it almost seems like a different disease:eek::confused:

I have previously written to a couple of politicians regarding some disgraceful comments they have made in the press and asked them to stay in the home of a PWD and their carer(s). I wanted them to know the reality of Dementia; needless to say their press offices replied and stated that the Politician had been mis-quoted- there was no reference to my suggestion:mad:

Until the Public gets to hear about the reality of Dementia there will be little change. We don't need Politicians just going on about Dementia Friends and Dementia Friendly Communities (although that is very welcome), would these people be trained well enough to cope with aggressive behaviour for instance? I think not. I know that one long standing and respected TP member was rejected in her application to be a Dementia Friend as she told them what Dementia could be like. She spoke from the heart about her experience and was rejected as she was viewed as being too negative. Too honest more like.

So Ann, thank you for your Blog entry-ever thought of sending a copy to our Prime Minister?

Love,

Lyn T XX

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Great blog post, Ann: the photographs are so expressive.
--Have shared on Facebook, too.

Last edited:

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
Thank you for this blog Ann, I have shared it on my facebook page. So tired of the ignorance that surrounds this illness - people need to know what it is like from the coal face.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
One starting point to improve our lot would be to join Dementai Alliance International's campaign to get dementia recognised as a DisAbility: that would open up a funding stream. Kate Swaffer's Blog is a good place to read up on the work of DAI.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

Wow - thank you to all for such a response to the blog - I really didn't expect that! And thank you to all who shared it. I really do think that anything that gets the reality out there and raises awareness of the condition and issues that come with it, has to do at least a little bit of good. Because if the many awful aspects of this illness are consistently ignored and played down then it enables those that have the power to make funding decisions to ignore the situation - and things will never, ever get any better whilst that continues :( Over the last few days alone, flicking through Tv channels, I've seen graphic footage of ill treated donkeys, images of children horribly malnourished and dying of starvation, images of more children and adults with bald heads and clearly sufffering from the terrible ravages of cancer, and a lot of other similar ads and reports on various heartbreaking and difficult issues. Why then, when it comes to dementia, is the approach so sanitised? The worst you will see is an elderly person looking sad (which, without any accompanying text or words to direct you, could be depicting any number of possible scenario's, the images are that ambiguous). Is it all part of the stigma around any issue that people perceive as being about mental health? Because if it is, its wrong. Or is it because there is pressure to not present an accurate reflection of all the facts because of the financial implications? Because that's wrong too. There has to be balance - show the positive stories, by all means - but show the not so positive too. Be accurate and honest. Because the support will never materialise unless its clearly shown why it is needed.

(off me soap box now :D )

First news is that the 'respite bed' issue has been sorted in this area. We have it back again. It was all a bit odd though! I sorted out son's hospital appointment yesterday morning and then ran out of time to phone about the respite situation before another appointment. Just got back in the house and the phone was ringing. The manager from the home Mil usually goes to for respite. She had just been told, she said, that Mil wasn't coming to them for respite on Thursday? Cue me being very confused. I pointed out that when I tried to book the bed, she had told me it most definitely was not available. So I'd managed to make other arrangements after kicking up a fuss to Adult services. Told her that they had found an alternative place for Mil for this stay and that I'd booked it. She said that since then, a resident had moved to another home, which made the bed available again. And that it was now being kept for short term respite only. And the same woman that had phoned me from adult services had also left her with the impression that Mil was now coming to them for respite - despite me explaining to that woman that Mil was booked elsewhere and that I was not going to mess the alternative place around, after booking it (because you never know, this just might happen again, so I need a back up on side!). She clearly wasn't happy, but again, it boils down to the misuse of the respite bed in the first place. Just hoping that all this trouble for them (as well as for me) ensures that this sort of situation doesn't happen again!

As for Mil on the new meds. Well, yesterday morning saw the usual coat loop but nothing major. Picked her up from DC to be told she 'hadn't been bad at all' (Yay!). Back home, we were spared the sundowning and constant 'going home' from the night before (it was pretty bad on Sunday afternoon and evening) but she was totally fixated on going into the kitchen. She had pies baking, a cake in the oven, she had left money in 'that cup on the kitchen window', she wanted to get her umbrella from 'that cupboard in the kitchen', she wanted to check the clothes she had put to soak in the sink, she needed to get to the kitchen to go to that 'toilet' at the 'back of it' (?) - the list was endless. Each time I said to her 'Why can't you go in the kitchen, love?' and each time she trotted out the reasons we have repeatedly given her (all to do with keeping her safe). And then she would say 'But I just want to go in there to . . . .' and repeat one of the fantasy reasons. She was increasingly frustrated about not getting in there as the night went on, but thankfully, tiredness hit before she really built up a head of steam and she went to bed. And - she stayed there :D

We've been looking into different sorts of 'barriers' for the kitchen, but are hitting a snag finding anything other than 'safety gates' because the kitchen access is an archway, rather than a door - and the width of the arch doesn't match any 'barrier' (like a half stable type door) that we can find :( With each safety gate, she has managed to actually break the 'hinge' part every time, leaving the gates hanging :( We've looked at 'concertina' type doors, but finding a sturdy one that doesn't cost the earth is proving difficult. OH says he thinks he is going to have to build/make something (thankfully, he is pretty good at carpentry) - its just finding the time for him to get it done.

Hitting the local supermarket this morning, for some more Christmas odds and ends - by this weekend, I hope to have everything I want, apart from the fruit, veg and dairy stuff, bought and ready. The tree is finally going up on Saturday afternoon, when all the kids will be home to decorate it, and then on Tuesday, next week, we are going to do a family day at Chester zoo - activating the annual pass that OH has got me for one of my Christmas pressies :D

Rageddy Anne - I was thinking about you all day yesterday hun - I hope you are OK xxxxx

Hope you all have a good day, bizarrites xxxxxx

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Stay On The Soapbox

Hi Ann stay on that soap box until dementia is regarded as a DisAbility and appropriate funding streams are accessible to us and our loved ones. Haven't reblogged you after all (you'll see why) have to be on Red Alert to ensure sound arrangements are in place for my visit to see my mum next Monday.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Flying round this morning and getting nowhere fast, but just wanted to say that I've just published a blog and then come on here and read Chaucers posts - talk about coincidence. I don't usually post direct links, but this time, I think Anne's situation and Chaucers post are so relevant, that I'm going to do it. Will catch up with you all again later!

https://notjustforgetful.wordpress.com/2015/12/14/thisis-dementia/

Ann, your depiction of the real face of Dementia says it all. Thank you. The world should see the bruises, even if it is unpleasant and might spoil someone's day. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I think a lot of us are determined to keep shouting, Gl and stay on our soap boxes xxxx

Yes, Anne - the bruises should be seen, hun, unpleasant or not. Are you OK? I am still steaming over what happened with your so badly needed respite xxxxx

Thanks reedysue - I wish someone would publish the facts, hun, via my blog or any other means that would get the information and the truths about this illness out there. Just doesn't seem to be any agency who would do it - shocked by what Kassy has told us about how her Mum's situation was consistently played down by the media :(

Fun and games here this morning. OH in the dog house as apparently he told Mil she could have the day off today (or so she is insisting!). When faced with my refusal to let her stay in bed, the insults have flown thick and fast - as have all the usual little tricks designed to deliberately annoy! Trying to do her hair, she faffed about sitting down (all of a sudden, 'that chair' makes her back ache), objected to me using the hot air styling brush (on the grounds that she prefers the curlers that she 'always uses' at home') and finally , when I had to repeatedly ask her to stop figeting, and to lift her head, I got a grin, followed by a very snarky 'Do you mind if I scratch my head? Is that OK with you?' and when I said of course, she then sat and scratched and scratched for nearly 5 minutes, while I stood likie a lemon waiting to finish off her hair. It was only when I unplugged the styler and said 'Sorry, we are running out of time for me to do your hair - you'll have to go out like that', that she stopped (with a 'huh' and a filthy look). You know, part of me has a sneaking admiration for the sheer inventiveness of her fighting spirit - She just NEVER gives up trying to get what she wants. Its just a pity that she so often chooses me to fight with!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Celiagibson