Collecting urine sample

jstmcm

Apr 19, 2012
How on earth does someone collect a urine sample from a lady with Alzheimer's who refuses to allow it?

Mum has a live-in carer, who is wondering whether she might have a UTI. GP has visited, and asked for a sample to be provided, but Mum won't allow the carer anywhere near her and the bathroom. (Mum has never allowed any personal care - insists she is fine washing etc by herself.)

I live 100 miles away. The carer is at a loss to know what to do and so am I. FWIW I am not at all convinced that she has a UTI; I saw her last week and think she is just generally deteriorating, but I am not an expert and the carer has much more experience with dementia. She isn't sure either but naturally wants it checked out which is why she called the GP.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
We had this experience a number of times and I just phoned the surgery and said it was impossible to collect a sample but that she was showing all the signs of UTI and please could they ask the Dr to consider an antibiotic prescription or could the nurse please come and get a sample!! See what they say. Our Dr was very very good though! Good luck

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
We had to get a stool sample and were having problems, so we put a container in the loo to catch it. Would this be a possibility?

Stresshead

Sep 13, 2014
I had this problem and the lovely people on here suggested putting a bowl into the toilet to collect it. It worked !!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Plastic bowl sitting on rim of bowl then seat down. When she has had a pee in privacy go in and collect sample. Don't worry about flush, if plastic bowl is above this then no problem.

doodle1

May 11, 2012
Totally agree with fizzle.ring gp and explain they are normally very good .if desperate we put cling film across the loo under the seat wait for mum to go and collect the sample .easier than a bowl as they usually can see the bowl but not the cling film.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I have been getting ABs without sample as it's nearly impossible to get a sample from him. He is incontinent and can't pee on command. Once I syringed wee from his pad but that's not for the faint-hearted, and took forever! I have also tried the bowl in the toilet thing but the sod removes it every time!

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Totally agree with fizzle.ring gp and explain they are normally very good .if desperate we put cling film across the loo under the seat wait for mum to go and collect the sample .easier than a bowl as they usually can see the bowl but not the cling film.

Make sure you put plenty of slack if you do this
many years ago it used to be thought quite funny to put cling film across the loo , then wait for the howls of distress
jimbo

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I have used a plastic bowl from a bought trifle. It fit our loo perfectly, but just in case, I attached it with Duck tape. A plain (as opposed to fluted) one is best, as less noticeable.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Ours is similar, its a large plastic salad bowl with 'lip' edge all around, left over from catering days many moons ago, fits perfectly in the toilet bowl and mum cannot see the difference. Obviously I kept it knowing one day it would be useful, never once thought it would be used as it is these days and to get the sample needed I use an old syringe.

jstmcm

Apr 19, 2012
Many thanks to everyone for your ideas. I have passed them on to the carer, who will have the joy of trying them out. I must admit this is one time when I am glad I can leave the job to a professional!

J