Swallowing

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Hi all, in need of a bit of information please about swallowing, I know that this can be a problem with dementia sufferers.. But does this happen gradually? it's just that these last couple of months my dad has been saying that is throat is cracking when he says this I normally give him a sweet to suck, he his still eating small meals which have to be mashed and it does take him a while to eat it.. I was wondering if this could be the start of swallowing problems.. Thank you exhausted 2015 xx

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Have you ruled out a sore throat or mouth ulcer? if he wears dentures, do they still fit?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Have him assessed by the SALT team (speech and language therapy). They deal with swallowing problems.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent

Eviejt

Dec 2, 2014
My uncle is having difficulties eating, saying the food won't go down and the sensation of needing to "get it out" resulting in wretching and induced vomiting. He also holds fluids and swishes it before swallowing, he has less trouble with sweet food and icecream though.

Can this happen at any stage as although forgetful and confused is still quite physically independent at the moment, still washing and dressing with a bit of prompting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour