lost consciousness

wonder9

Nov 27, 2015
My mum was diagnosed with early onset alzheimers at 57 yrs old. She is now 66 and in late stage of the illness. It's been a difficult struggle for all of us but we try and manage with a great team of carers at home. My dad called paramedics today as he could not wake my mum for her tea, head and neck had gone floppy. Upon instruction over the phone he lowered my mums bed down so she was flat. She regained consciousness. Does anyone know what happened here as obviously pretty frightening for us.

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
I'm so sorry wonder9. I can imagine it must have been very frightening and distressing for you all. Will your Dad get in touch with the GP tomorrow? Perhaps they might be able to explain - or do you have any contact with the community mental health team? A fellow TPer mentioned a day or so back that she had been in touch with Admiral Nurses and that they had been very helpful. I wonder if you might be able to email or call them to see if they might be able to help?

https://www.dementiauk.org/how-we-help/admiral-nursing/

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
My mum was diagnosed with early onset alzheimers at 57 yrs old. She is now 66 and in late stage of the illness. It's been a difficult struggle for all of us but we try and manage with a great team of carers at home. My dad called paramedics today as he could not wake my mum for her tea, head and neck had gone floppy. Upon instruction over the phone he lowered my mums bed down so she was flat. She regained consciousness. Does anyone know what happened here as obviously pretty frightening for us.

Hi and welcome to TP my husband has been having similar episodes going unconscious in his chair he is in a care home and the doctor there has said his blood pressure is very low could your mum have the same problem.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
My OH had an episode last month were he became totally unresponsive and sank into himself like a sack of potatoes. He also had low pressure which thankfully rose when he got some food and drink. The GP thought it had to do with a UTI - they can cause terrible havoc.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
Hi wonder9
Welcome to TP - I hope you're having a good mooch around as there are so many useful posts and lots of supportive members here.
I notice that Beate has posted today, on her thread Caring for my OH, about her OH's experience in hospital. May be what your mum is experiencing too.
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?70864-Caring-for-my-OH&p=1201490#post1201490

we have had a similar thing on a number of occassions and seams to be a link to an infection of some sort and the first time was low potasium levels . this time dip test did not show infection so sample been sent off before we get anti biotics and nurse may come next week i will be on phone on monday as she had another funny turn as we call it today. The last one was on wednesday .my MIl has Vascular dementia late stage i would say.been living with us for 3 years with us as careres

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Hi wonder9
Welcome to TP - I hope you're having a good mooch around as there are so many useful posts and lots of supportive members here.
I notice that Beate has posted today, on her thread Caring for my OH, about her OH's experience in hospital. May be what your mum is experiencing too.
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?70864-Caring-for-my-OH&p=1201490#post1201490

Yes, I learned today that it's called hypoactive delirium. It can happen with an infection and in strange surroundings. Avoid any medication that makes people drowsy. There is no medication for it but obviously any infection ought to be treated if possible.