Short stories

gem2014

Sep 11, 2014
Hi mum has vascular dementia and is partially sighted. Making reading impossible. Now the darker colder days are here she gets bored sat watching telly all day. Last year I borrowed some CD discs from the library for mum to try. However they all had about 6 or7 discs in them. These were far to much for mum. As she would either forget what the story was about or forget how to work the CD. Does anyone know of any websites they have used to find very short stories consisting of one disc per story? Possibly lasting about one hour.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
If your mother is still reading, have you considered a Kindle ? I find it wonderful because the font can be enlarged to suit while it`s not as heavy as large print books.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Your library should have a website from where you can download Talking books free.
You can download them directly to a device such as an ipod or MP3 or 4 player or, as I do, download to the computer and transfer them across. In this way, although the book will disappear from the computer after a couple of weeks . it remains on your device for as long as you wish.
There are all sorts of books available including books of short stories though you will obviously have to seek them out.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
If your mother is still reading, have you considered a Kindle ? I find it wonderful because the font can be enlarged to suit while it`s not as heavy as large print books.

I agree, my mum uses a Kindle which she spends a lot of time reading, it's also great when there is a power cut.

gem2014

Sep 11, 2014
Thank you for your all the advice. Unfortunately mum's eye sight is very poor and it makes reading a struggle and not enjoyable for her anymore. Which is a real shame as she loves books. I will have a look at the website but the Library we use didn't give any suggestions about where I could find shorter stories. Although it is now run by volunteers and they may not have the same knowledge. I had thought about taping myself but I'm not the best of readers and I do mumble a bit where mum would benefit more from clearly spoken narrators as her hearing isn't good either.
Thanks again

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Thank you for your all the advice. Unfortunately mum's eye sight is very poor and it makes reading a struggle and not enjoyable for her anymore. Which is a real shame as she loves books. I will have a look at the website but the Library we use didn't give any suggestions about where I could find shorter stories. Although it is now run by volunteers and they may not have the same knowledge. I had thought about taping myself but I'm not the best of readers and I do mumble a bit where mum would benefit more from clearly spoken narrators as her hearing isn't good either.
Thanks again

Our village library is now run by volunteers too but I was referring to the County library website which you could find by googling it. I then have to log in as a member with my card number and go to 'ebooks' which incudes the audiobooks too. Our's has hundreds of titles, some of which are short stories.

Perhaps podcast might suit too.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I found these audio CDs on Amazon:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Short-Stori...&rh=n:275380,p_n_binding_browse-bin:308724031

You can also search under short stories and anthologies.

I also found these in the British Library shop:-

https://shop.bl.uk/mall/departmentpage.cfm/BritishLibrary/_87323/1/Literature

I hope you can find something your mother would like. My Mum used to read loads of short stories. She liked the Irish writers like William Trevor and Edna O'Brien. Some of them can be quite long though.

NeonPink

Nov 7, 2015
Listening Books website

Hi mum has vascular dementia and is partially sighted. Making reading impossible. Now the darker colder days are here she gets bored sat watching telly all day. Last year I borrowed some CD discs from the library for mum to try. However they all had about 6 or7 discs in them. These were far to much for mum. As she would either forget what the story was about or forget how to work the CD. Does anyone know of any websites they have used to find very short stories consisting of one disc per story? Possibly lasting about one hour.

Hi, Listening Books website is brilliant, Google search them, it is especially for people who cannot read books in the usual way. The yearly subscription is £20, they do have free memberships for those who need them too, and it is an audio book library. I download books, but there are a variety of ways to listen CD's and streaming too, and a variety of genres, length of stories.

listening-books.org.uk

Last edited: