The Christmas present dilema

supporter1

Sep 14, 2012
Gosh ... it has come around again so fast ! where did 2015 go !

My father is in a residential care home and is 90. He has a very poor attention span , sleeps a lot ( even during breakfast at times) but is still 'getting by' with the wonderful support of the carers. he is mobile within the home although a a little unsteady but cannot have a stick as he hits people but manages with support which is readily available.

As usual I am now struggling to think what to buy him for Christmas. Clothes wise he has everything he needs and more and toiletries in abundance.

He is quite deaf but also finds watching tv a problem ( I think he finds it all a bit overwhelming so avoids it ) . I have bought him an old fashioned ( but new ) radio but have little faith in him being able to use it but took the plunge anyway as it might just work ? I am the eternal optimist.

Any other ideas would be greatly received as this is always a difficult thing. Especially when he tells me he is bored but suggest something and he looks at me as if I am quite silly for suggesting it .

So if anybody out there has some good suggestions I think it would be brilliant to share thoughts on this difficult issue.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
not sure if this would be helpful but what about a moving picture frame you know where you can down load photos and they change ever 30secs or whatever time you like.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
not sure if this would be helpful but what about a moving picture frame you know where you can down load photos and they change ever 30secs or whatever time you like.

Patsy, I have been meaning to look at these online, but for the life of me I can't remember what they are called!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I think I might buy a digital photo frame for OH for Christmas. I don't know how long it will hold his attention but if it is not successful, I will still be able to enjoy it too.

Great idea!

Time trader

Dec 30, 2014
Gosh ... it has come around again so fast ! where did 2015 go !

My father is in a residential care home and is 90. He has a very poor attention span , sleeps a lot ( even during breakfast at times) but is still 'getting by' with the wonderful support of the carers. he is mobile within the home although a a little unsteady but cannot have a stick as he hits people but manages with support which is readily available.

As usual I am now struggling to think what to buy him for Christmas. Clothes wise he has everything he needs and more and toiletries in abundance.

He is quite deaf but also finds watching tv a problem ( I think he finds it all a bit overwhelming so avoids it ) . I have bought him an old fashioned ( but new ) radio but have little faith in him being able to use it but took the plunge anyway as it might just work ? I am the eternal optimist.

Any other ideas would be greatly received as this is always a difficult thing. Especially when he tells me he is bored but suggest something and he looks at me as if I am quite silly for suggesting it .

So if anybody out there has some good suggestions I think it would be brilliant to share thoughts on this difficult issue.

We used to have a similar problem but sadly we lost our Dad recently. We have bought countless sweaters, shirts, socks, bottles of toiletries, books etc etc and although our Dad lived in his own home I fully understand your dilemma.

In part, I do agree with the suggestions sent to you so far, but do consider that digital photo frames are made of glass and if they become damaged can be very dangerous.
In the circumstances I would be inclined to get a photo album or a scrapbook, not too big, and put the photos in that your Dad will have seen in the past - family, friends, even pets. You could include post cards of places he has visited; indeed anything to make it personal to your Dad, yourself and your family circumstances.

Good luck with the subject however you decide to proceed and remember, it's not the cost of the gift it is the sentiment and love with which it is given.