Nanna and her broken pelvis

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
Good morning TPer's. It feels like a long time since I was last here.
Nan had moved on to what I hope, as awful as it sounds, is the beginning of the end. I say I hope, because she has been asking to die for years now.

She has been in a NH for nearly three years now, and on Sunday she had a fall, broke her arm and a small fracture in her pelvis. They've said all they can do for the pelvis is bedrest and painkillers, but she could barely walk before the fall so I dont think she will ever get out of bed again. The hospital has given her a supply of codeine and sent her back to the NH.

Has anyone experience of broken pelvis's? She broke her hip last year but because they got her straight up the day after they pinned it she maintained her mobility.

i just cant see how she can come out of this.

I should add she's now 101, and the NH are fantastic with her.

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Has anyone experience of broken pelvis's?

I don't know anything about a fractured pelvis. But, wow, I am in awe of your nanna! She recovered last year from a broken hip aged 100? She must be one strong lady.

I am sorry to hear, though, that she has fallen again and hope that the NH can keep her comfortable now.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
My mother had a broken femur last 2 years ago. Although she had surgery, she didn't walked anymore.

She is not bed bound, actually she loves to stay on TV room.

MsFliverty

Hello there,

Although quite a bit younger than your Nana, my mother (87) broke her pelvis - well actually a bone in her pelvis, the pubic rami - at the end of July this year. She had been diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment some 3 years previously but still lived on her own. She has made good progress, just with bed rest etc since they can't do anything else for it, and can now walk with a zimmer frame but she was lucky to get intensive physio which helped hugely with the mobility. I should also mention that she has osteoporosis and scoliosis as well.

Hope your Nana manages to regain some mobility and isn't in too much pain.

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
Thank you all for your comments. I've just been to see her and the pain is controlled with codeine and paracetamol but she cant grasp whats happened at all.

The GP visited whilst I was there and said she now appears to have a chest infection too, so prescribed antibiotics.

The the tea lady asked how I was and I burst into tears.

She could barely walk before this break, so I dont see how they are going to convince her to try again in a few weeks.

Going to be a long few weeks i think!

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
My Mum had her first hip op after a fall at 96 and then fell again and had the second one done at 97. i asked if she was too old and the consultant said he had done one on a lady of 102! But it depends on all sorts of factors and sometime it just isn't the thing to do.

if a fracture is left to heal itself, there can be more chance of infections, for some reason I don't understand. So I am afraid you may have to brace yourself, she may keep going for a while but if she is getting chest infections as well it isn't a good sign. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I hope I am wrong.

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
Just popped in to see her again as we were out that way, the GP has been called again as she isnt tolerating Codeine and has started vomiting.
The staff are all being so lovely towards me I know they are very concerned for her.

Off to find a small glass of wine!

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
Well here we are another week on and nanna is deteriorating everytime I visit.
The chest infection is a bit better, but they now have her on a small dose of oramorph as well to help with the pain, so she is very drowsy.

I'e had a meeting with the nurse about future plans as she would hate to end her days in hospital , she has always loathed them, so they have referred her to our local hospice at Home service for an assessment.

Her fluid intake has dropped off a lot in the last few days.

I cant stop thinking about her and wondering if I should be doing something else.

I find this 'letting her go' thing so hard.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Morning at wits end
Such a situation for you and your nanna
I hope she can be out of the hospital soon, especially as that is what she would want herself
You are doing all you can - you are being there for her and speaking up for her and caring so very much.

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
Hello there
My mother fell and fractured her pelvis last sunday. Basically the hospital - who after my last awful experience with mum in hospital were just amazing,caring and understanding of mums dementia - said basically all we can do is manage the pain and she was to be kept as mobile as possible given the pain( the Occupational nurse explained by keeping mobile it would actually help the fracture to mend and prevent other complications. ) The CH were happy for mum to go back - rather than stay in hospital - and provide the extra care and support mum will need. She is helped to walk small distances etc and the CH have been brilliant - esp putting up with me phoning all the time as Im full of a cold so didn't think wise to go in for last couple of days :)

xxxx

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
Thank you both for you comments.

Nanna is in the Nursing Home, in bed, but they are struggling to find the line between pain relief and consciousness.

She has never been tolerant of pain and moans constantly about how much her body hurts, or she sleeps. They've just doubled her oramorph to 5ml to see if that helps ( in addition to paracetamol and codeine), but then she is too dopey to want to eat or drink.

I sat with her for two hours yesterday waiting for the GP who didn't show up but is apparently now coming in today, and Nanna told me 'it wont be long now'.

I wish it was over for her sake, but I fear every time I voice that to the staff they give up a little bit more on her.

Its horrible watching someones life end so slowly.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Hope the oramorph dose is giving your Nanna the pain relief she needs and that she is peaceful.

Such a sad and difficult time for you, hope you have someone to lean on and talk to about your emotions.

Take care.

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
Thank you Gigglemore (great name!). Nothing much is changing at the moment.

Nan was assessed by the local Hospice at home team who recommended a pain patch, and this has really helped. She is much calmer and more comfortable, but doesn't eat or drink much now. She still has a very strong heart though so only time will tell.

Today's my birthday and I have the day off work so I shall visit with her for a few hours. The nh staff are fantastic with me, I get so many hugs and endless tea and cake.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Have as happy a birthday as you can xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTalking Point1448269247.087070.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalking Point1448269247.087070.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 767

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
happy birthday at wits end - hope your Nanna can be as comfortable as she can be. Take care - hugs to you xxxx

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
Thanks you all for your hugs and birthday wishes.

Well I just don't know what the future holds after today's visit. She was the perkiest I've seen her in two weeks, drank 2 cups of tea and stayed awake all the while I was there. But the first thing she said to me after hello was 'dancing with angels'. Nothing else. Just that. Maybe it's the drugs talking. Maybe not.

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
Well another week has passed and we are now definitely on end of life care. The nh phoned me yesterday lunchtime and asked me to go up as they could see she had deteriorated over night. I stayed til 10pm then my uncle took over. I've barely slept but will go back up there shortly. She is no longer eating or drinking and had been prescribed a mountain of drugs but she keeps hanging on.

Pray for us please.