Dolls

valmo

Oct 5, 2015
Has anyone heard or used a doll to alleviate a persons distress with looking for their baby, mum, dad etc?
Thanks and welcome all views.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Has anyone heard or used a doll to alleviate a persons distress with looking for their baby, mum, dad etc?
Thanks and welcome all views.

I've seen it in action many times in care homes and it has been a great success with some people - sometimes carried, sometimes in a pram but always a smile on the person's face! Soft cuddly toys sometimes work too.

valmo

Oct 5, 2015
I've seen it in action many times in care homes and it has been a great success with some people - sometimes carried, sometimes in a pram but always a smile on the person's face! Soft cuddly toys sometimes work too.

Thanks. I am going to try. Need to find a doll, charity shop? Problem my siblings will think I am infantalising Mum, not really understanding. If a doll will give mum pleasure.......

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Thanks. I am going to try. Need to find a doll, charity shop? Problem my siblings will think I am infantalising Mum, not really understanding. If a doll will give mum pleasure.......

i thought that at first, until I watched closely and saw the pleasure and stimulation it gives! Yes a charity shop or just ask some friends - someone will probably have a doll in the loft - good idea to try a couple and if they have clothes to take on and off then they are even better!!

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
There are several in my husband's nursing home. They are special ones made for such use though they are really odd looking. The residents love them, even the men when handed one will hold it as they would a baby. Cuddly toys are also liked. I knitted a brightly coloured caterpillar to hold in his left hand as his fingers have started to curl into his palm and it stops his hand closing all together.

I will take a photo of the dolls they use and post it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Here is one of the dolls, scary isn't she.

As scary as she is the residents leave them alone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
The caterpillar is fantastic! Personally I have never liked dolls, I prefer teddy bears, and I was a tomboy and played with cars and Lego instead of dolls, but they have a few dolls at OH's day centre, and he once came home with one of them firmly in his grasp! I had to trick him to let go of it.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
The caterpillar is fantastic! Personally I have never liked dolls, I prefer teddy bears, and I was a tomboy and played with cars and Lego instead of dolls, but they have a few dolls at OH's day centre, and he once came home with one of them firmly in his grasp! I had to trick him to let go of it.

I have since knitted dozens of them and the staff have bought them and the funds put into the residents funds. I have two in hand to replace my husband's present one as it is well washed and looking very floppy.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
There are several in my husband's nursing home. They are special ones made for such use though they are really odd looking. The residents love them, even the men when handed one will hold it as they would a baby. Cuddly toys are also liked. I knitted a brightly coloured caterpillar to hold in his left hand as his fingers have started to curl into his palm and it stops his hand closing all together.

I will take a photo of the dolls they use and post it

I loved caterpillar idea.

My mom has 2 teddy bear. CH manager has strong prejudice against doll, but said nothing about a teddy bear.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
They have recently introduced a big basket of soft teddy bears at my mum's care home, and I have seen one of the residents holding and chatting away to a baby doll. It isn't something my mum seems to want to do, but I can see why many would find it comforting.

valmo

Oct 5, 2015
Thanks everyone. I was thinking a doll would replicate a baby as this is what she is looking for. I cant see how a caterpillar/teddy would do this bit worth trying anyway. I'll see what I can find.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH just loved his cuddly toy dog. Took it to bed for about a year! Fortunately, it was washable .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa