fiona4

Feb 6, 2008
Southampton
Hi

Sorry I joined a few days ago and started posting without introducing myself. I am 45 was caring for my Mother until she went into a residential home 2 years ago and more recently into a nursing home. She is very happy at the moment although she has severe Alzheimer's now. I still care for my Father who is physically frail and often confused. As I am a pharmacist I have some strong views about the over use of anti-psychotic drugs in people with dementia. It seems to me that a kind, calm environment is much more important. It is lovely to hear from other people in a similar situation.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
It seems to me that a kind, calm environment is much more important.

Hi welcome well said .

I have also been avoiding them as much as I can . I was lucky to get Exbixa for my mother 5 years ago . also found using relaxing music in the back ground has a calming affect on my mother .

Now mum go to day center 5 days a week and medication slowing down, I use that kind of music on the days she at home with me .

she take a while to settle after day center as she very winded up from bus journey , but music on and no TV settle her down.

Last edited:

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Fiona,

welcome!

I have some strong views about the over use of anti-psychotic drugs in people with dementia. It seems to me that a kind, calm environment is much more important

If you run a search on 'anti-psychotic' you will find a few threads that discuss this issue in detail and may find a lot of people agree with you. It is an emotional issue for many of us. There have been some lively discussions on the subject as many of us have had to make some difficult decisions in this area.

You may also be interested in this thread.

MPs to examine the prescribing of neuroleptics
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=8905

Urgent call for evidence
into the use of antipsychotics (sedatives)

The All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dementia (APPG) is undertaking an inquiry into the prescription of antipsychotic drugs to people with dementia living in care homes.

The APPG has decided to conduct this inquiry because carers, patient organisations and academics are expressing strong concerns about the appropriateness and safety of prescribing antipsychotics to people with dementia.

The deadline for submission is the 18th Feb I think.

Kind Regards
Craig

Kit Kat

Feb 10, 2008
Manchester
Hi!

Welcome to TP. I joined a couple of days ago and I am already identifying with people.

Hope you receive support here.