How can I put a block on my mother dialing the talking clock 123 and 118 directory

mydiamondmum

Nov 10, 2015
Hi every one,

I am new to the group and this is my first post. So glad I have found this forum.

I have many questions I would like some help with. Mum at present is in a temporary care home hopefully soon going into extra care sheltered housing. Mum was running up a huge phone bill dialing the talking clock and directory enquiries.

I did buy her a talking clock where you could just press a button for the time but of course she would forget that she had it. So far I have asked sky and virgin media but they both tell me that they can not block numbers.

I was thinking of maybe getting her a large button mobile phone pay as you go that I could control the credit.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you. Best wishes.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Thanks fizzle...have submitted the BT link which blocks 10 numbers bring dialled out:D

Thanks Chris
Welcome mydiamondmum. Sorry was in such a rush earlier but remembered I had posted a link to this ages ago lol. I hope that you find a solution quickly as it will cost a fortune. In the end we took my Ma's phone away because it became distressing for all of us but we were with her most of the time and she only lived 3 minutes away and she forgot she'd ever had a phone after a while. Before that we were very naughty and used to unplug it so she still used it but it cost nothing!!!! I would not recommend that solution - it was only interim whilst we found a better one!!1

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
I got my mum a phone that has three large buttons on it, where photos go, and she presses the photo for the person she needs. Maybe this would help her, unless of course she can dial the numbers anyway. Think it's a common problem as heard of this on a radio station, can't tell the time anymore so they ring to find out.

Once they've found out they've forgotten what time was. Maybe it's to do with changing the clocks a few weeks ago? Hope you can sort it.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You say she is in a care home? Why don't staff simply restrict her from using the phones, or am I missing something?

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
presumably she has her own phone in her own room and can use it as she wants to! Anyway she will be going into extra care housing where she will be independent in many ways as she would have been in her own home

mydiamondmum

Nov 10, 2015
Thank you so much for all your replies

Thank you so much for all your replies which I will study. Currently having a stressful day trying to sort things out my mum's new social worker.

Just to clarify, she has her own local authority flat but was in hospital 12 times last year as they kept sending her home without a proper care plan and after tears and pleading from me they eventually put her in a temporary care home until suitable accomodation could be found ie extra care sheltered housing. At last this has come up now and I am trying to get things sorted out for her but getting very frustrated with the slowness and inefficiency of her social worker.

Once again so please that I have found this group it means so much when we can support each other.

I really like the sound of that 3 button phone with pictures on it sound like such a good idea. Do you know where I can find out more about that mrsbusy?

Thank you all again :)
love and best wishes

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

mydiamondmum

Nov 10, 2015
4 button picture phone

What a great idea that 4 button picture phone that is exactly what I need to get for mum .... Nitram about the 999 suggestion I woudn't go for that one as mum
has very active imagination at times and would possibly not use it correctly. Also in extra care sheltered housing there is apparently a cord she can pull anytime she needs something.

I am not going study the forum for social worker posts and that is my current dilemma as I my mother's present one does not seem to know what she is doing.

Thanks and regards mydiamondmum

Kingfisher1

May 7, 2015
Kent
Thanks fizzle...have submitted the BT link which blocks 10 numbers bring dialled out:D

I have this service on my BIL's phone as he was regularly dialling 123 and the old operator number of 100, which was putting him straight through to 118 118. One phone bill was around £150 as he had spent £54 in about half an hour keep hanging up and dialling the number again. He denied making the calls but there was nobody else in the house. Since I had the blocker installed he has made 80p of call charges. The good thing about it is, when a number not in the list is dialled an automated voice says "Sorry, the number you have dialled has not been recognised" Harry just assumed he was dialling the wrong number and in the end he stopped bothering.

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
My Mum had a talking clock and she pressed it every 5 minutes.... Drove us mad, must be something with the brain being confused about time of day ....

mydiamondmum

Nov 10, 2015
Thank you so much for all your replies

Thank you so much it is great to feel that you are not alone in this.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My m in law has a new friend called Alexa.

she has learned to ask alexa all sorts, including the time.
we have set it up in such a way that she'll even dial daughter/son/ joyce etc

Alexa does get in a bit of a twiddle when mother gives a mixed request that confuses her, but by and large its working ( Alex play radio 2, switch off at 10pm confuses her- needs two seperate commands)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

How can I put a block on my mother dialling the talking clock 123 and 118 directory​

Can you block this or not
"We have a service that lets you bar all calls to 123 and 118 numbers. So you
won’t need to worry about someone running up a big phone bill. If you’re

interested in it, call us on 0800 919 591 (8am to 5pm Mondays to Fridays)."
Page 33

This only works with a BT line.

The progressive removal of copper between consumer and exchange means that everybody will be moving to VoIP (voice over internet protocol).

I assume that this service will still work with Digital Voice ( BT's VoiP), with other CPs (communication providers, new name for ISPs) or third party VoiP provider it will be up to the provider.
Currently most CPs do not offer in house VoiP, several just offer an internet connection, they are not interested in hosting email or VoiP servers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petal705