How do I,,,,,,,,,

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
Beverley - Don't forget -there is absolutely no reason why your father can't pay you just as if you were a stranger. Yes you'd have to pay taxes on that money, but then, if anyone is employed, taxes (and NI) have to be paid. Perhaps that not what you're talking about?

Ishard : Further to the will issue - there is no right to be told what the contents of someone elses will. What I will say is - it would be very rare for solicitor to draw up a codicil (or a new will) in one visit. Normally, you indicate what you want and then return at a later date to sign. My point is - are you sure that this will changing happened? If it did, then she would have been given a copy (the original may be kept by the solicitors).

Yes, I could do that (although I resent the thought of paying tax/NI on money I receive from my own father.

Being honest, and maybe I shouldn't post this openly, but the core reason for receiving monies from my Dad would be to ensure his capital doesn't keep growing (which at the moment it does by circa £1500 a month). All that means is his balance goes up and up, and he will end up spending that all on a NH, when his real intention for the money is to go to 4 grandchildren. I actually had my inheritance from my parents 5 years ago.

I have already 'moved' a portion of his money into an account that is being held for the grandchildren. I'm just keen to move more of it!

If there comes the point I quit my job, then yes I will cover my salary, but anything over and above that, I will move to the 'kids' account.

To be honest, the eldest grandchild (my niece) is 21 and could desperately use the money now for a flat, but I feel we daren't let her take it in case there was a point that SS refused any funding.

As I say, it's all ludicrous. An illness is an illness, and if you need a NH, it should be paid by the NHS/LA!

Beverley

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It seems you have 3 options.
1) Return to work and use your father's money to pay for ongoing in home care. The advantage of that is that by spreading the load, you may never get to the point where you feel you "have" to go to the nursing home option.

2) Stay at home, and thereby forfeit your income (and also contact with the outside world which is not to be sneezed at). Use your father's money to pay for respite so that you can go on as long as possible.

3) Stay at home, get paid by your father, which means you have to pay tax on the money, but if you end up having to place him in a nursing home, then you "should" be straight with the LA (and further more, you'll be up to date with the NI contributions). Note - if you stayed at home, didn't get paid, and claimed carer's allowance then you also get credits for NI contributions.

The thing I think you need to remember is: you may never have to resort to nursing home care. While I don't think you should be reckless with the money, I don't think you should assume that that is inevitably in his future either. Not to put too fine a point on it - while he may seem "young" to you, he isn't particularly, and while hopefully you have many more years with him, that may not be the case.

Helena

May 24, 2006
Beverley

Theres nothing to prevent your Father giving away any surplus income each month to whom ever he chooses .........he can give away on a regular basis any money that does not reduce his standard of living

So he could

1) pay you under the "Rent a Room Scheme " you can have up to £5200 a year ADDITIONAL personal Allowance tax free using this

2) He can pay money into Grandchildrens trust accounts by direct debit each month

ALL of the above falls outside IHT rules and is not taxable

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Helena - I don't think Beverly is concerned about IHT. It's how the LA will look at it in the future.

jimsandy

Jan 31, 2008
Soldiers Grove
Helena

Hope you were able to get the POA, we went when my mom was sent to hospital to get started on the POA. Got it set up with an attorney that was recommended to us. We got the paperwork set up and had someone from the hospital be there as well as someone who could be a witness to it all. Then we were able to take care of her financial issues, get her mail sent to our house, as it was a long commute to her home (200 miles or more one way). After over a month she was sent to a nursing home, that was court ordered and then we got a temporary guardianship set up as well. AFter several months and sometimes my mom fighting the guardianship issues we now have a permanent guardianship which helps us with her personal issues with going to doctor and so forth. Hope this helps you some and hope you keep posting to this site, as we can all use support from each other. jimsandy

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I was not allowed in with Mum and the solicitor (in case of undue pressure I suppose) but mum came out saying she has changed her will to leave some money to her elder brothers which is fine but not what we went there for. lol

I am wondering Do you really believe that she change the will in the first place ? As when my mother done a change of Will we needed 2 signatures to witness it .

how long was you they for did you notices other people going in to be witnesses ?

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Yes, well, I never thought I would say this but: I think the tax man is more reasonable! More consistent anyway.

Kit Kat

Feb 10, 2008
Manchester
Hi!

In my mother’s case she was more than happy to sign the EPA form when I explained that I needed it to sort out the Gas people who were charging her too much on her Direct Debit.

I enjoyed Clive's reply and the paragraph about the Gas Board made me Lol! :)

I had explained EPA in a similar way to my Mum and she readily agreed. We got a solicitor to assist us and he was extremely helpful. He even visited at home so that Mum didn't have to face the daunting prospect of seeing him in his office which is, to her, an unfamiliar place.

Keep on keeping on

Helena

May 24, 2006
The LA cannot criticise you for charging rent or housekeeping in caring for your Father

You are incurring loads of extra bills and you cannot be expected to subsidise them because it may deplete what capitol he has down to £13,000

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
The LA cannot criticise you for charging rent or housekeeping in caring for your Father

You are incurring loads of extra bills and you cannot be expected to subsidise them because it may deplete what capitol he has down to £13,000

He already gives me housekeeping (him and Mum always have), but it's nowhere near a lost salary (if I choose to take that option).

Whatever option I take, I will keep clear records and get quotes from several Nursing Homes. I would show the clear benefits of staying at home.

1) More consistent for him to be at home with his family
2) Far cheaper than a NH

They show I am acting in his best interest, and that is all the Public Guardian Office are concerned about.

As for the LA - well, surely if it came to a point where he needed care - and he started off self funding - they couldn't chuck him out and demand I pay surely?? After all, I am his daughter, not spouse. Even if they did think he shouldn't have paid me housekeeping.

Beverley

Helena

May 24, 2006
Beverly a NH costs £30 to £40K a year
So even if you did take a salary from your father in the way of

1) Rent a Room .......which is tax free

2) housekeeping .....costs of food heat light etc is costs so you cant be taxed on that

The LA have no reason on earth to say you are depriving his assetts and i cant see a judge saying it either