Not long now

janetlynn

Jul 22, 2012
England
Hi,

I am sitting next to my mum in law as I am typing this, hoping that she passes soon. She has had vascular dementia for 10 years and lived with my husband and myself for the last 5 years. She has had strokes and seizures and at Christmas broke her hip. She became bedbound shortly after that with pressure sores. She is so thin and frail, weighing under 5 stones. She doesn't know us. 3 weeks ago she was rushed into hospital with pneumonia. The Doctors did all they could for her but warned us she might not survive the night. They tried to get blood from her over and over again causing her to cry in pain. Her arms were black and blue.
She was discharged 2 days later and since then has hardly taken any fluids. For the last 2 days she has not been able to take any fluids at all and we are just keeping her comfortable and keeping her mouth and lips moist. We are waiting for some meds to be delivered so that if she becomes distressed or in pain a nurse can come and administer them.
So I am stroking her hair, holding her hand and talking gently to her. She has a cuddly toy next to her and she keeps placing her hand on it. It is heartbreaking. I just want her to pass away peacefully soon. She has had enough.

Thank you all for listening.
Janet.

Last edited:

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
bless you Janet. dreadful position to be in and I truly feel for you. wishing you well and strength in the times to come. sending hugs to you xx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Oh janetlynn, such a kind, caring and loving post. It's good that you are together and at home.
I wish peace and rest for all your family.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Thinking of you both today as you make this last journey of goodbyes together and wishing that over the next few days and weeks you will remember all the happy times that you have had together xxx

woodbrooklabs

Aug 17, 2015
Thinking of you and the pain you are going through. I hope things are peaceful soon enough for your mum. No more pain for her.xx

LeedsLass

Oct 13, 2014
Essex
Wishing you and your family strength for these tough times. Hope her passing is peaceful and a release for you all. X

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
Wishing you and your family strength at this difficult time and I hope her passing is peaceful sending you a big hug (((( ))))

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Such a sad post. I hope your mother in law is as comfortable as she can be and know how fortunate she is to have you sitting with her.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Wishing you strength and endurance for this time, and your loved one a peaceful passing. I know how hard it is at the end, when you want them released from their suffering, but you don't want to say goodbye. xx

janetlynn

Jul 22, 2012
England
Hi all,

Thank you so, so much each and everyone of you for your kind support. It gave me comfort and the strength to cope.

Mum in law passed away at 6.15 this morning. It was a peaceful passing and at the end she took a deep breath and let out a long sigh. She sounded at peace and ready to leave.

Thank you.
xxx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi all,

Thank you so, so much each and everyone of you for your kind support. It gave me comfort and the strength to cope.

Mum in law passed away at 6.15 this morning. It was a peaceful passing and at the end she took a deep breath and let out a long sigh. She sounded at peace and ready to leave.

Thank you.
xxx

Janetlynn, your MIL really did sound as though she was ready to pass on. What a wonderful friend as well as a loving DIL you have been.

I hope you find strength to deal with your emotions at this time.

Love

Lyn T XX