When Should I Contact the Local Authority about Fees?

Navara

Nov 30, 2012
My mother's in a care home with nursing (has been since January when she was advised she needed nursing care on discharge from hospital). Prior to that she had been in a residential home which was obviously a lot cheaper. She does get the £110 nursing allowance but still her savings are now dwindling at an alarming rate. At what level should I inform the local authority she's running out of cash? I'm concerned she may need to move home as there is no-one who could pay a top up fee.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
My mother's in a care home with nursing (has been since January when she was advised she needed nursing care on discharge from hospital). Prior to that she had been in a residential home which was obviously a lot cheaper. She does get the £110 nursing allowance but still her savings are now dwindling at an alarming rate. At what level should I inform the local authority she's running out of cash? I'm concerned she may need to move home as there is no-one who could pay a top up fee.
Do it now...Most LA's have a back log.

As your Mother is currently self funding I take it she is getting AA?
:)

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Agree with Pete, you need to do it ASAP so that there is no gap in funding if possible

Navara

Nov 30, 2012
Yes she gets AA at the higher rate - has had AA for years now.

Sorry, didn't really make myself clear, is there a figure at which you should do it - say when she has 75k left or something? I know they can keep 25k or so.

What happens if people leave it too late and there's no-one to pay? I can't imagine every family is on the ball, we all have enough to worry about with our own families without all this hassle on top.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I believe the current figure at which you stop being completely self-funding is £23,250. Assessments for needs and finances can take a while plus they need to figure out whether they could fund her care home fees entirely. I would allow at least three months for that so calculate when your mum's savings will have got to that point and take it from there.

I'm afraid it's up to the individual/attorney to keep on top of finances if they want the state to do their bit, otherwise the care home will remain to hold them liable for their costs.

Pon

Dec 11, 2011
wales
when should I contact the local authority about fees

I contacted them when there was 3 months left and it took another 8 months before they finished the assessment

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
What happens if people leave it too late and there's no-one to pay? I can't imagine every family is on the ball, we all have enough to worry about with our own families without all this hassle on top.
Personally I do not consider it a hassle making sure my Mom's affairs are in order (she is still part of my family) but do have experience how my sister would consider it as a massive burden.

If there is no else to pay when your Mother's money runs out (no one can be forced to pay) the CH would have to take the hit and then when the LA are involved they would decide if they pay the current rate or more likely move your Mother somewhere cheaper.

Navara

Nov 30, 2012
Thanks. The whole thing's disgusting. There needs to be some kind of half way house between what defines residential and what defines nursing. I mean, my mother only needs to be washed (as in residential) turned regularly in bed, helped with feeding (same as in residential) and catheter maintained. Its hardly high tech nursing! How can they justify an extra £400 per week.