How aware is the person with dementia?

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I'm very loath to admit this but my Husband, before he was diagnosed, used to say he felt 'lost'. He also used to say his memory was failing. How I wish I had listened. The 'experts' told us he was suffering with 'anxiety' (he had a depressive episode with psychosis) I believed those 'experts'.After all he was young (59) AD was an 'old'peoples disease. This went on for years. His AD was even missed when he had a scan. The scan was revisited 2 years later when Pete was sectioned again and it showed AD. By then his MMSE score was 7/30. No way would he understand the diagnosis.

My beautiful husband always exercised, had a job as an English Lecturer and ate healthily. NO ONe listened to him-even me. I feel so guilty. His Mum had early onset-it's possible that he inherited a gene-who knows.

I wish I had listened, it's too late now.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
We all forget things and we accept that as part of life but we don't usually go running to the Dr because we forget things. When someone goes to the Dr because they are forgetting things it is because they know something is wrong.

I think I was viewed as a hypochondriac, which I've never been but have become obsessed with my health since the start of my symptoms, I was never obsessive before either. I mention dementia but do you think the Drs will?? No one has ever discussed my scan with me other than to say 'You don't have a brain tumour' - I think I will go back and ask them 'Have you worked out what I do have?' My current GP just smiles at me without understanding, my old GP knew something was very wrong and was hindered in trying to get me help and they got rid of her:(

tealover

Sep 8, 2011
My mum never knew she had dementia,but from the start she knew something was wrong with her.

Before she went into a care home she took herself to hospital on a weekly basis,she sat in A&E for hours on end crying,begging for help.She was seen and sent home..until the next time.Not one doctor or nurse recognised mum had dementia.

One of the things mum said that still upsets me when i think of it,was the continual repeating,"i'm scared,whats happening to me?"

Kassy, that is so sad, made me fill up, your poor Mum.

My Mum often taps her head and says there is nothing wrong with her other than her memory.......but then asks "who doesn't forget things??" But she is acknowledging now that she forgets our physical presence with her 10 minutes or so after we have left. I spray my perfume in her room every day before I go in the hope it will enable her to remember a little longer that I was with her.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
:(
Kassy, that is so sad, made me fill up, your poor Mum.

My Mum often taps her head and says there is nothing wrong with her other than her memory.......but then asks "who doesn't forget things??" But she is acknowledging now that she forgets our physical presence with her 10 minutes or so after we have left. I spray my perfume in her room every day before I go in the hope it will enable her to remember a little longer that I was with her.

I spray my perfume over my Husband's cuddly dog and blanket. I also hope it works

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I have dementia and everyone I know with dementia knows they have dementia personally I can’t believe a person wouldn’t know they had dementia because it’s not an illness that happens overnight it takes years to fully develop

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
MIL has no awareness of her having dementia. She thinks there is nothing wrong with her, perfect health and no idea why she living with us even though i have tried to explain

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I could understand 30 years ago people didn’t know much about dementias , but now today with all the Television & media coverage Memory Cafes various organizations such as Alzheimer’s Society , DEEP, Picks FTD singing for the brain every G.P surgery waiting rooms have information dementia is a daily household word and talked about much more freely now

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
MIL has no awareness of her having dementia. She thinks there is nothing wrong with her, perfect health and no idea why she living with us even though i have tried to explain

Classic symptoms of the disease

jawuk

Jan 29, 2014
Lutterworth, Leicestershire
I could understand 30 years ago people didn’t know much about dementias , but now today with all the Television & media coverage Memory Cafes various organizations such as Alzheimer’s Society , DEEP, Picks FTD singing for the brain every G.P surgery waiting rooms have information dementia is a daily household word and talked about much more freely now

Tony, my OH has had LBD for over 5 years and I have never heard of DEEP, Picks FTD or until recently memory cafes. I hadn't heard of Singing for the Brain until I read about it on this forum and my GP's surgery has nothing on their wall about dementia whatsoever. Before my husband became ill I had heard of the Alzheimer's Society but that was it - I knew it existed in the same way that today I discovered that there is a TMJ Association.

Those things which we know about can seem obvious, those we don't are unknown mysteries and for many folk with dementia anything and everything can be an unknown mystery, even their own name.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I think there may possibly be a confusion on this thread now between 'awareness' about dementia generally (which I think is Tony's valid point) and the 'awareness' which a person living with dementia may or may not have about their own dementia

On the second point and in answer to the question posed by the thread,the evidence of this thread is, as anyone who regularly reads TP might expect, some are aware and some aren't.

Last edited:

Desperate39

Nov 30, 2012
I don't think my mum knows. She will tell anyone who will listen that there is absolutely nothing wrong with her. She knows she's been in hospital, but firmly believes that everything is now fixed. She gets very angry if we say she has to go back to the dr, she says she doesn't, that the dr says she is in wonderful health. I hope, really hope, she doesn't know. Because my real mum, the pre-dementia woman, would do anything on this earth not to be the woman she has become. I hope she has no idea at all, and that she never does.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Jawuk have a look at this site and watch the video

http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/our-work/research/dementia-engagement-and-empowerment-project

The Dementia Engagement & Empowerment Project (DEEP) aims to explore, support, promote and celebrate groups and projects led by or actively involving people with dementia across the UK that were influencing services and policies affecting the lives of people with dementia.

The first phase of DEEP was a one year project that finished in 2012 but a new, three year phase began in 2013. This will help build the capacity of existing groups, support the emergence of new groups and help develop a network linking these groups together.

DEEP is a collaboration between the Mental Health Foundation, Innovations in Dementia, supported by the Alzheimer’s Society and funded by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation.

Last edited:

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
My husband is becoming less and less aware as his Alzheimer's progresses. Now he's entering the realm of really not being aware that he has an illness, especially in the mornings and the evenings, when he's tired, or not fully awake. He can still put words together, but it soon becomes obvious that he's not really thinking straight. Soon, I think he will be completely unaware.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
When OH was first diagnosed he was quite happy and even gave a couple of talks on ' living with dementia'. Now he realises only that he has a bad memory but has utmost faith that the memory clinic will cure him!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I think a sufferer can have lucid moments.
My mother did and used to get very distressed about it and what was happening to her.
My husband too, was aware for a long time.

Tears Falling

Jul 8, 2013
I am sure there is no answer to this..... How aware is the person with dementia that they have dementia? If some is ill with a cold, had a stroke, heart attack or has cancer the words are used, both by the medical teams and in every day conversation. With all the publicity in recent months about dementia it is becoming more known and discussed in everyday situations. The dementia friends campaign will help no doubt. But the elephant in the room isn't discussed.

In the future will generations be less afraid and have more understanding. Will the words be used and possibly the person with the illness recall in those moments when they are living or reliving moments from the past, that it is an illness and that there is support available. There were years in the past when illness such as cancer wasn't talked about so freely bit that has changed I think.

Trying to become less uncomfortable .... And embrace dementia.

I asked this question over a year ago now and things have moved on in our version of dementia.

Initially I thought that my mum didn't have much awareness but in the past 10 months I would say she is aware. She will at times comment that she has done something. She usually says this after she has had an event. An event being hours of distress usually involving tears, screaming, slamming doors, shouting and being angry and very frustrated. I would have expected that awareness would diminish but as everyone is different I guess it can be as it is.

Its a very sad situation.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I think it depends on the person as everyone is different. My OH is very aware and talks openly about his mixed dementia . Our social worker always wishes for him not to be so aware . He does get frustrated at times .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar