Colouring in

beachbum

Nov 5, 2015
Hi everyone glad to be here!!!

I was hoping to get some feedback on something that my husband with early onset dementia is exhibiting.
First of all just a little background before I get into my question.
My husband was an avid fly fisherman and used to tie his own flies which is actually quite a talent but he's lost some interest as of late.
The past few days he has become obsessed with tracing pictures of the flies he likes and coloring them with colored pencils. He says he's going to make a scrape book with them.
I was actually quite taken aback by this but maintained my composure and went along with it and remarked how lovely they were and he did a great job on the tracing and coloring.
My question is: is this part of the disease and he's regressed somewhat to an earlier age or this is not something at all common?
Thanks in advance for any help?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi and welcome to TP.

My husband enjoys colouring in and does it very carefully. I'm pretty sure that other members will have a similar experience. I think you did the right thing by praising his work and encouraging him.

Tears Falling

Jul 8, 2013
I brought my mum a colouring in book with a wonderful selection of colouring pencils. She does it her way and she seems to enjoy it.

Is it regressing to an earlier age.... I don't know but if it helps to keep her occupied and if she enjoys it then its all good.

sounds lovely that your husband is wanting to maintain his interest in his hobby and i expect he will get great pleasure from the tracing and colouring. A scrap book sounds like a great plan.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Adult colouring in books have become the latest craze, there are lots available in the shops at the moment.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I think it is wonderful that he is enjoying colouring. I am a paper crafter and have spent the last 15 years colouring images that I use on my cards. It is very therapeutic, calming and got me, when dementia became part of our lives, through some very difficult times.

I had to stop once there was no 'me time' but am now starting to enjoy it once more.

Maybe you could buy one of the adult colouring books and see if he has any interest in colouring those. Anything that gives an interest and willingness to do should be encouraged. Your husband is showing interest in the flies he used to make and has added another hobby that will help him to continue to remember his other hobby.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I have heard of people with dementia who suddenly display a talent for art. Its as if another area of the brain comes to the fore.
It sounds like a lovely thing to do and I would encourage him.

beachbum

Nov 5, 2015
Good morning everyone!!!

Thank you all so much for the replies to my question. As much as I try to deny what's going on these new developments bring it all back into perspective and sadden me at the same time.
I will continue to encourage him and ask him if he'd like me to look for coloring books of fishing flies which would give him something already outlined for him to color.
He trembles a bit and his tracing reflects that but I pay it no attention and continue to praise him. I will admit it's difficult to do and not show my obvious sadness for him and since he isn't aware of it himself,,,to pretend it's normal.

Again thanks so much for the help I'm so pleased I found this forum.
Cheers to all and Blessings~~

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Don't cut out the tracing bit, buy some more tracing paper and maybe a few of those angling or bird magazines, check there is enough content to keep him occupied. It is keeping him calm and occupied and that is really important.

beachbum

Nov 5, 2015
Don't cut out the tracing bit, buy some more tracing paper and maybe a few of those angling or bird magazines, check there is enough content to keep him occupied. It is keeping him calm and occupied and that is really important.

Yes thank you I will take your advice.
We went out this morning looking for more supplies and he found a couple different things he wanted to try and trace.
Bless his heart!
:)

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
beachbum

Yes thank you I will take your advice.
We went out this morning looking for more supplies and he found a couple different things he wanted to try and trace.
Bless his heart!
:)

Welcome to talking point. Encourage your partner in any hobby. It will give you both an interest, and anything that they can be interested in is only for the best.xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti