Starting Aricept

huntsu1

Jan 2, 2008
Blackwater
Mum is slowly setting into her new home, her only conversation is to ask to be taken home but I am learning how to deal with it, have taken in a 'porta puzzle' board as she used to love to do jigsaws, we have started on a small 500 piece which used to be her favourite, she is happy for a few minutes trying to pieces together. I find it easier if we have something to take her mind off going home. I have watched her without her realising before I go in and she seems quite content. she loves the staff and they are very attentive so I feel we have indeed made the right decision.

She will be starting here Aricept this evening and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of it, I know it may not work or the side effects may be unpleasant but it may just work (please god) and give her some peace for a while. Does anyone have any idea when we may start to seem some change?

mickyb

Feb 6, 2008
essex
Aricept

Hi there

My wife has been on Aricept for 2yrs now thankfully no side effects as to seeing results she is continually monitored and the way it was explained to me was that it could stem the progression which we believe it has unfortunatly the only way I can be shure its beneficial is to withdraw it Not going to do that and hopefully nor will the PCT I believe that anything that may improve Karens quality of life is worth every penny

Micky

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Aricept worked well for my father. Still believe to this day that it slowed down the decline for at least four years. That is just our experience.

From following the forum over the years, this is not everyone's experience, there have been bad reactions. But not harm in giving it a try. The important thing is to keep assessing the situation once the drug is introduced. It is a cumulitive drug in a sense that it won't instantly make a difference. Saying that, the three times dad was taken off aricept there was a noticable change (decline) within a week.

Aricept suited dad, but may not suit others. My top advice is if it works, don't let them take it away. We were twisted to take off aricept four times and to this day I wish we'd put up more of a fight on the last round.

Good luck
Craig

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Aricept had side effects with my husband, but they came very quickly, so if it disagrees with your mother, I`m sure you1ll know soon enough.

Although it wasn`t suitable for my husband, I`m really grateful he was given the opportunity to try it.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi there,

Mum has been on Aricept for 7 months, no side effects that I am aware of due to the Aricept (but mega skin problems, which I am told are not connected). Her peace of mind is considerably better, she seems more alert and lucid, so I'd say give it a try and see what happens.

Love

Margaret