Hubby going into CH for respite

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Pam, by posting this photo, I reckon you've performed a great service, for all the other carers out there, who are debating whether or not their loved one will be content in a Care Home. This is probably the most agonising decision any of us have to make - I know it was for me when John became a resident.

A picture paints a thousand words, and it is easy to see that Ed looks relaxed, happy and incredibly smart! Knowing how worried you were before, so many of us were worried for you. But to know that he's now receiving good care, and looks completely untroubled, is wonderful.

Please try to get some of the "you" back into your life now. The first thing I did was catch up on some of the sleep that I hadn't had for years. You've done so much Pam to care for your lovely man, but we're all only one person, trying as best we can.

God Bless You xxx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you everyone for all your kind words, it has given me so much support and strength along this Rocky Road.☺

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
So happy to see the happy picture of your lovely man Pam. Who'd have thought it? Expect there may still be the odd blip but you've both done well to come through. Big hugs to you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Thanks for sharing the Photo Pam, particularly helpful for me today. xxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Ms K

Sep 16, 2015
So good to see you OH is looking settled and happy. I'm now going to be going down this route with my OH and it gives me hope that my OH will eventually settle once we find a place. Hope you are finding time to look after yourself now and are readjusting OK.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
So good to see you OH is looking settled and happy. I'm now going to be going down this route with my OH and it gives me hope that my OH will eventually settle once we find a place. Hope you are finding time to look after yourself now and are readjusting OK.

Hope it goes as well as possible for you, Mrs K. It's a very hard thing to do, but can be absolutely necessary.

Hope you're ok Pam.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you everyone for you lovely messages, hubby has not been very good for 4 days, he has been wandering day and night, no sleep for 24hrs, he says he is looking for his sister, thats me, yesterday l visited him, care manager called me in her office, they managed to get him in bed, he hasn't been to bed in 2months, just sleeping in the chair, they have had to sedate him as he is so distressed, he slept most of yesterday, hope today's visit is better

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
You must be worn out with the continued worry and stress Pam. Perhaps this is part of the process of him settling in and he may have these episodes ongoing for a while. Hopefully he will calm down again soon.
Try to look after yourself as well as you can.
Sending you a huge ((((hug))))
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Pamann I so feel for you. It's hard feeling so helpless - you want to alleviate the distress, but have no power to do so.
At least that's how I feel. Dad's very unsettled - he too has spent nights and series of nights up and wandering (though he has broken the cycle at times and been so exhausted he's slept in his bed and almost all day- so I don't have the worry of him not going to bed at all.) One night he was literally howling to go home and another yelling out of the window for me (which is the part I find dumbfounding - not his wife or mother???) So his meds are being tweaked and he has liquid diazepam for 'as and when' and the staff have learnt to spot when he is 'on the up' to use their strategies (not often the drug) to help keep him quiet.
To be honest, I am so glad he's not at home; it would have been impossible to have coped. And the staff are so kind and thoughtful; I'm so grateful for all their efforts.
He does have good times, and more so as the meds seem to be helping - fingers crossed. And I know he appreciates my visits.
Sorry - don't mean to be self-indulgent :( - am trying clumsily to sympathise and say that the staff in your hubby's home will no doubt be working equally hard to support him, and you.
Every best wish, especially for your next visit.

Last edited:

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello thank you for all of you, today has been better, friends visited half an hour before me, hubby new who they were 2 months ago when they visited us at home he didn't know who they were, hubby was very high, yesterday so out of it sleepy, l know it is the drugs they give him, l do not know how the staff cope with all the residents, there are 35 of them they are very special people☺

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
You must be feeling very sad at the decline in your husband Pam. Glad that today has been a bit more peaceful for you though. Hope this is ongoing.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Just caught up, pam and am sorry to read that things haven't been so good. Hope this is a blip. It took Fred a long time to settle but he got there and hopefully your OH will too. Thinking of you. xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry the settling was so short lived. You must both be in torment.

At lease it sounds as if the home is doing everything possible to care for your husband pamann.