Wheee! Highlight of the day

germain

Jul 7, 2007
Thank you Sylvia

Thank you for your last post - I do hope this is the case - but whatever caused it - it was lovely to see - she's only been in the CH for just over a month and spent a week of it in hospital - how lovely to think that it's the CH and she can relax.
Regards
Germain

nickyd

Oct 20, 2007
warwickshire
My highlight today was my 4yr old[5 on new years day]telling me what her role as Mary in the nativity involves. Getting a ride on a donkey, then throwing the baby in the cot:eek:. Kids say the funniest things...
Take care all of you, Nickyxxx

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
My boy's home for the holidays

He actually came home yesterday so I suppose it was yesterday's highlight!

No doubt we will be arguing before long. He also brought home a horrendous amount of washing and I have to fight him for the computer - must get that wireless network set up so he can use his laptop - but it is lovely to have him home.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Today when I returned from watching the men kicking the ball about,outside the front day was a festive carrier bag.
Inside wss a full single Indian meal.
Left for by one of Peg's ex carers together with a beautiful card expressing her feelings for Peg and how she has missed her.
A kind thought.
Norman

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Today when I returned from watching the men kicking the ball about,outside the front day was a festive carrier bag.
Inside wss a full single Indian meal.
Left for by one of Peg's ex carers together with a beautiful card expressing her feelings for Peg and how she has missed her.
A kind thought.
Norman

that was so nice of them Norman and shows that they thought a lot of Peg and think a lot of you.

traceyh

Dec 27, 2007
kent
enjoy

I'm off on holiday on Saturday safe in the knowledge that Mum is being well looked after in her care home. This will be my first holiday alone with my husband and son, Mum came with us for the past 11 years. There will be pangs of sadness but I intend to enjoy every minute of my families company!

Geraldine

:):) hi geraldine try to enjoy your holiday have some me time you deserve it!.Think of all the good times in the past and present.

okmurrays

Oct 17, 2007
kelowna, bc, canada
My highlight of my day so far (and it's only 8.40am here so a great start to a Thursday) was when I phoned my parents in England this morning.
I am trying to squeeze in time to do my dad's family tree and I've made great progress thanks to some kind folk on genesreunited who've already done a lot of the donkey work. I spoke to my dad about it and told him I'll write it up onto a big piece of card in large print and send it to him, annotated with little snippets I've found about the person. Someone's also sent me some photos of the village my dad's lived in all his life from the turn of the century, including my dad's relatives.
What a reaction!
Dad was, briefly, like his old self. Very animated and excited. All sorts of old memories came pouring out.
So wonderful to hear him, brought a tear to my eye.
Now, I'm geared up to walk the dog, but the chores on hold and get this family tree sorted so I can post it to him.
Little things, but how uplifting.

okmurrays

Oct 17, 2007
kelowna, bc, canada
Yes, Dad will be thrilled, but not half as much as I was to hear the 'real' Dad!

Such a bonus being able to send him photos etc, I want to pull together a scrapbook with it in. He's got photos already, so I'll ask my Mum to help him add his.

Made my day, in fact, probably made my month!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sharon, glad you've had a good day too.

I did John's family tree while he was still able to appreciate it, and he was thrilled with it. Now of course, it's meaningless, but it was well worth doing. I did it on the PC though, because my handwriting is atrocious!

Love,

okmurrays

Oct 17, 2007
kelowna, bc, canada
Hi Sharon, glad you've had a good day too.

I did John's family tree while he was still able to appreciate it, and he was thrilled with it. Now of course, it's meaningless, but it was well worth doing. I did it on the PC though, because my handwriting is atrocious!

Love,

Hi
I'm doing it on the laptop mainly so I can share it with others, and it's a bit of a maze to fit onto even a large sheet of card. My dad has become very anti technology of late so I'll grit my teeth and do him a paper version and post it.
I've done one for my father in law who has Parkinson's too. I'm working on the basis that both dads will enjoy the trees while they can, and I will have a wonderful documentary history to hand on to my daughter and grandchildren one day.
I'm getting quite addicted.....particularly as I seem to have found a distant relative who moved to Kelowna where I live - but in the early 1900s!:)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
It is addictive, isn't it? Particularly as so many records are available online now. When I first started, I had to keep going up to Edinburgh to the records office, and would come back with not very much. Now you can get so much info in just a couple of hours.

Do you use a family tree programme? I find them great, because you can print out the tree, ascending or descending, with any person as starting point, so everyone has their personal print-out. They're also easy to email as GEDCOM files, I got a lot of info on my father's side from a very distant relative in Canada.

okmurrays

Oct 17, 2007
kelowna, bc, canada
Hi
I'm a member of genesreunited, and have all the data stored there. Via that website I also got lots of information about my dad's grandma's side of the family. Co-incidentally, from a man in Canada! He moved from where I was born and raised about 26 years ago. He has 18000 photos of the family (some related to me) as computer files, and is going to send me some for my dad.
It really is great therapy for him, and I'm busily sorting everything out now.

I started our family tree the hard way too - years ago I went down to London and did lots of research, but with scant results. The internet has certainly opened up the geneology world.

Sharon

okmurrays

Oct 17, 2007
kelowna, bc, canada
Bittersweet.

My parents phoned me today to check on me (a bit of role reversal) and I told my dad, who has Alz, all about my daughter's progress at school, and how she's settled in etc.
Bless him, he was very animated, and wanted to know all about it. After about five minutes, he said, 'Have you told your mum all this as well?' I said I had. He said, 'Good, because I can't remember things anymore and she can tell me again later'.
It was wonderful that he was so excited about Jenny's hard work and good results, but bittersweet that he realises he won't remember anything about it five minutes later.
I duly got my mum on the phone again and explained it all so she could tell him again this evening, and he could relive the moment.
Hopefully it will give him as much pleasure second time around.

ishard

Jul 10, 2007
The highlight of my day is reading all these funny things :)

Just being in here knowing that you all know whats going on with my mum is a wodefful comfort :)

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Telephone calls tonight, both before and after BBC's 'Primeval'

My lovely grandson, bless him, rang me to say it was on........
something we both enjoy......and then rang for a post mortem.

For us it is 'to be continued next week'. Wish that everyhting was so certain.

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Proud mama!

Today my wee beastie went to nursery school for the first time.

At just two and a half she breezed in, kissed me goodbye and sat on the mat with the other children in her group ready to start the day.

Not a tear in sight - I was so proud of my Milly.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Wee beastie indeed. Milly sounds like an obsolute poppet Kate.

Thanks for sharing. (Go on, you can tell. Did you shed a few tears? I remember I did at that stage.):)

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
I can't deny I had a lump in my throat! I've only ever left her with my sister, brother in law and mother in law and only for short periods of time so it was quite a wrench! The first severing of the apron strings I guess!!

Just heard that she's took to it "like a duck to water" - she's joined in all the lessons and games and not even had any "little accidents"!

Can't ask for more than that!

At least I can start enjoying a couple of hours peace in a morning until the next one arrives!!!