Palpitations

cazaroo

Jul 5, 2015
My MIL recently started memantine to control delusional behaviour. She has completed the increasing dose regime with minimal side effects, and so far no episodes of delusions! So we are very pleased. However yesterday she complained of palpitations and dizziness which she thinks is because she started a new pack of tablets. But they are exactly the same as the last pack except the box us a different colour!! Anyone else know of this side effect? Or is it likely to be something else? Palpitations are not listed as a known effect on the drug leaflet. I told her to carry on taking it and ring the GP if she's no better.

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
I'd definitely agree about ringing the GP... but I'd be doing the ringing for MIL rather than expecting her to be able to communicate and understand any advice...

If you haven't got a relationship with her Dr that will allow you to do this, I would still call and impart the information.

Hope MIL feels better soon... Palpitations must be very worrying for her...

curtainsgalore

Nov 2, 2014
My Mum only managed to get to the 10mg of Mementane as when the dosage went up to 15 and 20mg she got palpertaions. She has very advanced AD so they just kept her on the lower dose.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
The palpitations and dizziness may simply be anxiety. If the new box of tablets is a different colour, she may be worrying that they are different from those she took before, and this is making her anxious. She might not be aware of this, and be unable to control it.

Anxiety can cause all sorts of physical symptoms, unfortunately, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's what your mum is experiencing.

Obviously a word with her GP, or maybe a pharmacist, for reassurance, is a good idea just in case.

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
Mum had palpitations when she was over prescribed with BP tablets, since the prescription has been adjusted she hasn't had any.
It seems her corns on her feet might have contributed to high BP I changed her shoes to sensible very wide fitting, hid her 'nice' ones away, her Chiropodist
got rid of the corns BP came down, I changed her shoes because every time we went out she would complain bitterly her feet hurt!! :) xx

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan