A decent bank?

gord_junk

Oct 6, 2015
Hi,

I have power of attorney for my mum who has Alzheimers. She banks with Barclays and although they have what looks like a good system for managing money via third party access, in practice a lot of the internet stuff just doesn't work. (In particular, the only way I can pay a bill by transfer is by transferring the money to me and then paying it from my account - because the "set up a new payee" bit has bugs in it. I'm responsible for her money and don't want to have to explain lots of transfers to my own account)

The really good bit is that I have a debit card on her account with my name on it which gets me around having to explain why Mrs J. R..... is 6'6" with a beard.

Does anyone know of a bank or building society that copes with this better?

I'd like to set up direct debits, do bank transfers and use a card for purchases that has mu name on it. I have to do all of this over the internet as I live 350 miles from her.

Cheers

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Mum and I both banked with RBS and the Clydesdale Bank, neither of whom I had any problems with. I started off with a 3rd party mandate then when I got POA for mum and showed these to the banks, like you I got a card with my name on for her accounts. Their internet/ telephone banking wasn't an issue either.
I had all direct debits transferred into my name and they came off of my account, that way I knew what had to be paid and when, its something you could look into doing?

florabunda

Nov 13, 2014
My mum also banks with Barclays, I find their internet is difficult to use - even the "expert" in the branch could not help with the PIN Sentry. I have to go to the branch every time I want to pay someone - they have now set up some direct debits for me.
But mum also has an account with the Halifax. Much easier.

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Hi,
I have power of attorney for my mum who has Alzheimers. She banks with Barclays and although they have what looks like a good system for managing money via third party access, in practice a lot of the internet stuff just doesn't work. (In particular, the only way I can pay a bill by transfer is by transferring the money to me and then paying it from my account - because the "set up a new payee" bit has bugs in it. I'm responsible for her money and don't want to have to explain lots of transfers to my own account)

Wow, thank you for this bit of information... I have contacted Barclays several times about the problems I've had with their online banking (as POA for dad) and the only answer I've ever had is that they 'have a temporary glitch and are working on it'! I've found it extremely frustrating, especially in the early stages when we were dealing with a crisis and doing everything at once. Bank transfers are impossible and I find the whole system pretty clumsy. It's actually good to know I'm not the only one :).

I've used Lloyds Bank all my adult life, and their online banking has never given me any problems. No pop-up windows to contend with and bank transfers have always worked - although I haven't tested it out as POA. If I ever get the time to change dad's bank, though, that's where I'll be changing it to.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
I had POA for my mum. Her main bank was NatWest and their online banking worked very smoothly. In fact they were pretty good all round, never had any hassle.

Santander and Halifax were harder work. I think I have read on TP that Santander doesn't allow debit cards to attorneys.

PS having read LizzieL's post below I am even more relieved mum's main accounts were with NatWest. Debit card in my name, cheque book with my name as POA for mum, all sorted in less than an hour. Their insurance people were very helpful too when she moved into care home and house was left empty for a while. I sound like a salesman but honestly have no other connection with them.

Last edited:

Lizzie L

Dec 1, 2014
Not sure there is a decent bank.. Dad has 11 bank accounts with 4 banks! We have two attorneys acting on his behalf separated by 100 miles.

Santander - no debit card to either attorney. But online banking for 1 of us.
Nationwide - one card and one cheque book. No internet banking
Halifax and HSBC - two debit cards, two cheque books one person for Internet banking. Cheque books and cards are personalised to the attorneys - cheque books have attorney and donors name on them.

But to get the Halifax and HSBC stuff up and running I have had to visit both banks for hours. Even setting up 1 new standing order can take half an hour as they recheck everything.

My Dad has dependent children and Santander don't know he has other accounts. I asked how we were meant to buy their food and they just said we should transfer money into our accounts!

Only got to sort out the Internet banking on HSBC now. None of it has been easy!

Lizzie

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Gord, welcome to TP
This bit "having to explain why Mrs J. R..... is 6'6" with a beard" made me smile have they never been to Yorkshire:D
Sorry to any ladies in Yorkshire I know you're not all 6'6" tall.
Runs and hides:eek:
K