Help needed!

Lissa_123

Jan 29, 2008
Nottingham
:)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

My name is Lissa Cardell and I'm 21 years old. My Granny was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease two years ago and since then her condition has deteriorated quite rapidly. During this time i have witnessed the effect that this has on both the sufferer and family and carers around them.

I am in my third year of a Broadcast Journalism degree at Nottingham Trent University and as part of my final year dissertation I must make a 15 minute documentary. I have chosen to make my documentary on the trials and tribulations of living with Alzheimers disease.

Included in this I am hoping to contrast the systems of care (nursing homes etc) in both England and Scotland. My Grandmother lives in SCotland and I understand the care system is (arguably) better than that of Englands. If anyone can proviode me with any personal experiences with the system in place at the moment then that would be a big help.

Anyone who has any particular views on NICE's decision to hold back on the use of drugs such as Aricept, I would be really interested.

I know that Alzheimer's disease is an upsetting and at times taboo subject but if there are any carers out there who would be willing to be involved in the making of this documentary I would really appreciate it. The film is soley for assessment purposes and would not be broadcast.

I really want to do this topic justice as it is something which has affected both mine and my families lives.

I hope you can be of some help,
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Lissa Cardell

arun

Nov 10, 2007
London, UK
Hi Lissa.
I am so sorry to hear about your Gran.
My Mum lived in India. Where there is no healthcare system. However drugs such as Aricept are affordable and are bought privately.

I have personal experience with this.
There is no definitive proof that Aricept alters the course or progression of Alzheimer's disease

However it seemed to have a positive effect on Mum. She seemed to be happier and brighter after she started the medicine. Mealtimes used to be difficult before she took the medicine. Dad thought there was improvement in this too.

Last edited:

nursetutor

Nov 11, 2007
North West
one small point

Dear Lisa,

Please refer to the following document to clear up any misunderstanding you may have about the purpose of this forum;

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/site/scripts/documents_info.php?categoryID=6&documentID=63

I will add one small point and hope you get the remainder of the information you require via a valid and thorough literature search.

Aricept has proven benefits for those diagnosed with moderate dementia (as measured by the MMSE). It does not halt progression of the disease but what it does do (but not in all cases) is help to relieve some of the symptoms.

I would now urge you to use the appropriate means to gather your information. Cyber research, as with other methods, is guided by the usual ethical codes of conduct - as I am sure you are aware.
Best of luck with your dissertation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lissa_123

Jan 29, 2008
Nottingham
Thanks

Thanks for your reply to my post Arun, I really appreciate any personal stories as I said, I really want to get a good scope of opinions on the topic, especially from carers. Thanks!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti