The funny side of dementia

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Dementia sucks, it really does, but sometimes it's better to laugh than cry!

There are so many hilarious things that my dad has said and done, and I just wish that I'd written them all down! Dad loves playing chess (against himself) and the other day when he opened the oven to take out his roasting cashew nuts and found a white pawn turned black. Yes - he roasted his pawn! ...and then painted it white again.

Due to dads Parkinson's disease, he had a chair which he can remotely control, so with a press of a button he can move all the way up to standing or all the way down to lying. He often leans on the remote and the chair moves, but he doesn't realise it is. The other day we were listening to music and 'you raise me up' by west life came on. You've probably guessed it - yes, he lent on the remote and as the lyrics 'you raise me uuuuuup' were sung, his chair magically starting raising. Hilarious.

He also went to morrisons the other day and came back with 19 deserts. 19!!!! Oh dad.

Thank heavens for a bit of humour really refreshing to read.. Yes I think most of us on here could write humorous stories
Perhaps we should start a humorous thread it would help to lighten the burden... All the best.. Exhausted 2015 x

janey106

Dec 10, 2013
Thank heavens for a bit of humour really refreshing to read.. Yes I think most of us on here could write humorous stories
Perhaps we should start a humorous thread it would help to lighten the burden... All the best.. Exhausted 2015 x

Great idea ... Peter Pan Page ..... You can only fly if you have happy thoughts! Page for people to share only funny anecdotes, links to funny stories/sketches, films, programmes etc!

Sandra24

Sep 19, 2015
My dad is always saying funny things. When he was well we would always have a laugh together and that's how I remember him. He would always say you've got to have a sense of humour!!!
Not so long ago we were looking at photos one day and I had a picture of myself and my husband. My dad recognised me but was struggling to name my husband. I asked him ' dad do you know who I'm with'....he replied 'yes Elvis'......I laughed out loud and then we were both laughing which was really refreshing

furball

Nov 24, 2014
It seems I needn't have worried about the unsolicited phone calls my aunt was receiving despite being registered with the TPS. I found a message that she had accidently recorded. It went something like this.

Voice: Can I speak to Mr or Mrs xxxx please?
Auntie: Sorry
Auntie: I can't hear you
Voice a bit louder: Can I speak to Mr or Mrs xxxx please?
Auntie (now thinking this is her grandson who she believes lives upstairs in her house but doesn't) : Are you upstairs?
Voice: Sorry
Auntie: When will you be home for your tea?
Auntie (on a roll now): Where are you?
Voice: Where am I ?
Auntie: Where in Scotland are you?
Voice: Where in Scotland am I? Err, this is a very bad line. Would you like me to phone you back on a better line?
Auntie: Yes, yes. Speak to you soon. Love you.
Voice sounding thoroughly worn out (and never to be heard from again): Goodbye.

Best laugh I've had in a long time.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
It seems I needn't have worried about the unsolicited phone calls my aunt was receiving despite being registered with the TPS. I found a message that she had accidently recorded. It went something like this.

Auntie (now thinking this is her grandson who she believes lives upstairs in her house but doesn't) : Are you upstairs?
Voice: Where in Scotland am I? Err, this is a very bad line. Would you like me to phone you back on a better line?

Love it! :D

Summerheather

Feb 22, 2015
Hahaha

OMG, this made me laugh out loud

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
My mum once said "I do like that P!ss Brosnan" :eek: (Pierce Brosnan).
This
This was pre-dementia but she's always been a bit dotty! We still call him that now and she still laughs every time we say it! :D

I had a bad cough and dad said to me take one of them immodium that will stop it.. To which I replied yes dad I will there was no point telling him again what immodium was for xx

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North

One to print off and keep by the phone........

Sianey

Mar 23, 2015
Yorkshire
Funny things

Some of the things they do do make you smile. Sometimes it's their expression as well. :D

My Mam has done quite a few but before we knew really she had dementia I remember her thinking I was one of the agency carers and she said 'it's so weird your name is the same as my daughter and your birthday is'. Then she said 'so where does your Mam live then' we both looked at each other and she said 'oh heck' pulling a face, realising, it still makes me smile now.
X

GarryJD

Sep 17, 2015
Solihull
You do have to keep laughing - but not appropriate at a funeral....

My Step-Fathers' dementia has developed some funny traits with the phrases he uses. They are usually "Come on - Get the Job Done!", or "Left, Right, Left, Right" as people are walking. His best one is "Come on - Cheer Up" - and he will say these phrases mainly to people in shops or public places.
It was unfortunate that we couldn't take him to my Grand-mothers funeral a couple of weeks ago as his outbursts would not have been welcome - or in my opinion.

When at said funeral, certain family members said you should have brought him - it would have lightened the mood - we didn't want a 'dark' ceremony anyway...!

I just shuddered, and had thoughts of him shouting left-right as the coffin was put on the alter, then - Get the Job Done - as the curtains closed for the cremation.....!

When Dad calls out at people I realise he just wants them to talk to him - and when he gets a smile - that makes him and me happy....!! Laughing about it really does help.....!

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Garry that made me laugh.
My dad keeps saying.. I see no ships .. In summer someone was looking shielding sun in Garden centre, has now said it ever since at anyone.

Other night couldn't sort his PJs , too hot , too cold, Pjs and jumper, PJs , dressing gown and diff jumper, PJs alone, then PJs , jumper and shorts on top of PJs . My poor mum was struggling to contain the laughter tears. Bless him , it made sense to dad.
Shorts have been hidden for now.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Or sneeze !!

Immodium again!!!
Was getting dad into bed earlier and was telling him that I was trying to stop smoking and guess what.. He said take an immodium it will help you to stop.. And again I said yes dad I will and had to stiffle a laugh...
Think I am going to start a thread about the many uses of immodium.. What do you think

Last edited:

snorkmaiden

Mar 8, 2014
Surrey
My poor Dad has bowel cancer as well as Alzheimers so he has- shall we say- "extra" continence issues. He was in the loo for ages yesterday so I yelled "are you OK?" Yes, he was fine he yelled back. 15 minutes later he came out and I asked again if he was alright? His reply ....... "I'm OK, my bowels are a bit erotic at the moment" Can't think of anything less erotic myself but it did make me laugh :D

Candlelight 67

Nov 4, 2013
West Sussex
This made me laugh. My Mother enjoys going round the corner to the Wine Bar where you can either have a drink or a meal. Two days ago we pop round for a drink most of the tables are occupied or reserved. My Mother looks at the bar and says what about here. She now uses a stick. Before I knew it she hauled herself up onto the bar stool and was sitting at the bar with her stick beside her. I was so surprised she had made it and she looked so funny. I couldn't help but laugh. She enjoyed a glass of rose and even got down herself.

I think the staff found it amusing too.

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Aww bless your mum, Candlelight, she must really have wanted that glass of wine!

When my dad was in hospital, and more confused than usual, we packed some toiletries for him in my husbands best toiletry bag. Dad saw it and said "ooh, where did you find that bag? I haven't seen it for years!". To this day he still thinks it is his!

Similarly, last week I took a small magnifying glass to dad in his care home... I'd found it while clearing his house out. Dad thanked me and said "I've got one just like that in my drawer at home". I smiled and just nodded :).

Last edited: