lost swallow

animallover

Apr 21, 2014
My Mum has LB dementia and is in a wonderful CH but just over a week ago she took a chest infection and is being treated at her CH by a special team which is attached to the local hospital consisting of 2 consultants ,senior nurses etc meaning she can have the care she would get in hospital but without the stress of a move .She has been given 2 antibiotics which has treated the infection but her swallow has gone (I didn't even know this could happen) so it's over a week without food she is getting fluids but the consultant wants to meet me on Monday if the swallow hasn't returned .I know many of you will have gone down this dreadful road is there any hope of the swallow returning now .I am dreading Monday as I know they will suggest stopping fluids and this is probably for the best as she is skin and bone and has no quality of life but it is so hard .

tomkitten16

Sep 24, 2012
merseyside
Hi so sorry to read your sad post;I believe that the swallowing reflex gets forgotten in the last stages of dementia and I am only saying this as my Mum had a hip op and after the op her dementia was worse but she couldn't and still can't swallow;The speech and language therapists try puree/thickened foods but to no avail;My mum is currently being fed fluids thro a syringe but she isn't swallowing.I feel for you as it is hard watching the person you love dehydrate and lose so much weight. Others on here may have different views and experiences but I just wanted to help you thro my experiences.x

elaina

Aug 10, 2015
Somerset
I went through this a few weeks ago with my dad. Like you, I did not know that he would "forget" how to swallow. It came upon him gradually over weeks, pureed food, then no food just drink, and then nothing. My dad passed away after 8 days with no liquid. we had decided on no major medical intervention about a year ago as the quality of his life was so poor.
It was such a hard way to see him die and I am still struggling with it. I know that his struggle is over.
Sending you my very best wishes.
xx

animallover

Apr 21, 2014
Hi so sorry to read your sad post;I believe that the swallowing reflex gets forgotten in the last stages of dementia and I am only saying this as my Mum had a hip op and after the op her dementia was worse but she couldn't and still can't swallow;The speech and language therapists try puree/thickened foods but to no avail;My mum is currently being fed fluids thro a syringe but she isn't swallowing.I feel for you as it is hard watching the person you love dehydrate and lose so much weight. Others on here may have different views and experiences but I just wanted to help you thro my experiences.x

Thank-you so much for your kind reply I feel so useless and scared at the thought of her fluids being removed on Monday although the doctor informed me she will not feel thirst but not sure I believe that .

animallover

Apr 21, 2014
I went through this a few weeks ago with my dad. Like you, I did not know that he would "forget" how to swallow. It came upon him gradually over weeks, pureed food, then no food just drink, and then nothing. My dad passed away after 8 days with no liquid. we had decided on no major medical intervention about a year ago as the quality of his life was so poor.
It was such a hard way to see him die and I am still struggling with it. I know that his struggle is over.
Sending you my very best wishes.
xx

Thank-you that's my worry that I have to make such a major decision even though I know it's the right one .

elaina

Aug 10, 2015
Somerset
That is the problem. We don't really know what it is like for our loved ones. People have said to me since my lovely dad died that it was a natural death and that his body just gradually shut down. At the time, to me, it seemed so cruel - yet another cruelty in the journey of AD. On the other hand, I knew it was not right to keep him alive with drips etc.
Wishing you comfort and love x

animallover

Apr 21, 2014
That is the problem. We don't really know what it is like for our loved ones. People have said to me since my lovely dad died that it was a natural death and that his body just gradually shut down. At the time, to me, it seemed so cruel - yet another cruelty in the journey of AD. On the other hand, I knew it was not right to keep him alive with drips etc.
Wishing you comfort and love x

I know that's what my head is telling me but it's an awful decision to make . I also know my lovely active Mum has no quality of life how I wish we had discussed issues such as this many years ago .

animallover

Apr 21, 2014

Thank-you it's a really horrible illness and the Consultant told me with every infection you get less of your loved one back .I feel for you also as I know what your going through .

Katie1072

Aug 13, 2015
My dad was a high risk of choking as his swallow well and they put he on a purée diet for his last year x

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Thank-you so much for your kind reply I feel so useless and scared at the thought of her fluids being removed on Monday although the doctor informed me she will not feel thirst but not sure I believe that .

I am sorry to read about your Mum.

We don't know what another person is feeling, but I would liken the situation to being asleep. We don't feel hunger or thirst when we are asleep, only when we wake.

I do believe also that the body adapts to the situation and starts to close down towards a peaceful ending. Nature doing its job.

I hope things go OK tomorrow for you.