Hannac

Chum

Oct 29, 2014
Advice needed, I haven't been here for a while because with the support of my family I have managed to keep things in perspective. Now my husband who has multiple complications ( COPD, artiel fibrulation, Diabetes 2, high blood pressure ) is sleeping most of the day and night, My children are being as supportive as they can, and I could not wish for more from them
We have the end of life care at home plan in place, my Dr and District nurses are so supportive I Could not wish for more, but as I sit here and watch him sleeping all day and then awake for an hour bed and apart from going to to toilet he is sleeping. He is on oxygen 24 hrs if not his stats now drop to 67, for the first time tonight I cannot get him awake enough to have something to eat....... He is not in any discomfort, just want me to leave him to sleep
Has anyone her had this experience, and can give me some advice
Thank you

rafferty

Dec 27, 2011
cardiff
Sorry i have no experience but i didn't want to just read and move on . i am sure somebody will be along with some good advice soon . Meanwhile i would just like you to know that you , your husband and your family are in my thoughts

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I'm sorry you're going through this.
I have with my mum. We just left her be & moistened her mouth.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Sleep seems to be nature taking over. Hard to watch but if he is peaceful then the right thing for him. I sat with my brother in law at this stage some years ago and it was an unbelievably calm ending.

God bless.

Chum

Oct 29, 2014
Thank you for your support it really does help, it has been a real roller coaster this past 4 years, our GP says if she could bottle and sell what keeps him going, she would make a fortune

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Sit with him, hold his hand,talk to him, laugh, sing and chatter with the family...it is good to hear the daily sounds going on.
When Mum died in her care home at dawn, I didn't close her door tightly. One of the laundry girls came to me later, in tears. She was worried that her telling a joke in the corridor might have offended me, she hadn't realised Mum was gone..... I didn't need them to shut all the doors, stop all the clocks or give the dog a greasy bone...and yes Mr Auden, we even had a dog in the home...a RNIB Guide Dog:) who would have loved that.
So while your OH can hear....let him know you are there. If he is comfortable...it will be good.

My thoughts are with you.x.x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Chum

Well done for keeping your husband at home.I was unable to.

Be thankful he has no pain and is sleeping peacefully. My husband had no pain either and it was a great relief for us.

He does not need food now, his body is winding down. Hold his hand and talk to him. He will know you are there by your touch and the sound of your voice.

I think this time is as important as any to keep your connection strong.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Wishing you both peace Chum, glad you have support from your GP and District Nurses, and your children. Good that you were able to post here.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx