Refusing nearly all food

Cinder

Dec 14, 2014
Hi-
I've had success over the past 2 years feeding MIL soups, cakes, chocolate,ice-cream & soft food.
The last month, however, she is refusing nearly everything. On a normal day she might manage half a bowl of soup & a yoghurt. She has nutritional milkshakes from doctor which she still takes.
She is still quite able to express herself & says she just isn't hungry.
Does anybody have experience with this? Are we entering a new phase of the disease?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Cinder

Dec 14, 2014
She only has two- and that is only since she started refusing everything else. Previously it was one a day...

Patricia Alice

Mar 2, 2015
We are having exactly the same problem right now. She is hardly eating and says she is not hungry. Today we managed to get her to eat a few mouthfuls of trifle and then she started to cough it back up. I asked if she was constipated but she does not know whether she has "been" or not, so I asked the carers who says she takes herself to the toilet so they did not know either.

If your mum is on Forticips they contain a lot of vitamins and minerals. I think I might need to get them prescribed for mum this week. I know my mum drinks lots of tea because the carers say she is always asking for a cup of tea, so I know her fluid intake is OK.

It's very worrying situation, but the nursing home weighs her weekly, so they must be monitoring her.

Cinder

Dec 14, 2014
It's Ensure that she is on. It's a chocolate milkshake.
It just feels like we have suddenly gone from using them as a dietary top-up to being all she will take. Her fluid intake is poor also, so we are constantly nagging her to drink.
I'm sorry you're finding the same problems, Patricia.
It's tough going.